General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob swimmer: sanity check Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-17 11:49 AM

Veteran
Subject: Noob swimmer: sanity check
Hey, all. I've only been swimming for a few months, and my full workouts would probably be pre-warmup warmups for many of you. That said, I did my 4 x 200 this morning (was supposed to be 7 of those), and ever since I climbed out of the pool my lats have been mighty sore.

My question is this: Is that the "right" place to be sore after swimming? By way of analogy, I know that when my calves are sore after a hard bike ride, it's because I've likely been pointing my toes too much while pedaling. Is having sore lats an indication that there's something seriously wonky with my swimming stroke?

2008-07-17 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1536887

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by surfwallace 2008-07-17 12:09 PM
2008-07-17 12:14 PM

Oklahoma City, OK
Subject: RE: Noob swimmer: sanity check
I'm no expert, but two thoughts come to mind:

1. The fact you only got through 4 of 7 sets could mean you are going too hard without properly warming up, and you are just straining your muscles a bit. Perhaps a few easy sets or drills beforehand will help loosen you up?

2. Another cause I've noticed for sore shoulders is when your arms cross your center line while you stroke. When you cross over like that it puts extra stress on your shoulders and "pinches" them. It's kind of hard to notice if you are doing this on your own, so you might ask someone to watch you. If you can imagine you are on a train track and your arms are staying on the tracks it gives you an idea of the proper form.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Sooner Tri Guy 2008-07-17 12:15 PM
2008-07-17 3:03 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Sore in the muscles is good, having sore tendons is bad. Sore tendons can be a sign of bad swim mechanics. If that is the case, I suggest less intensity and more stroke drills (and get some coaching or do some reading).
2008-07-17 4:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Sore lats = good. Sore shoulders = not so good. But I think you might be working a bit too hard if you're that sore on that short of a distance.  Swimming is a lot more about form and efficiency than it is about brute force.  Work on slow smooth strokes with the correct form first, then worry about speeding up by increasing your arm turnover and pulling harder once your stroke form is good. My two-cents' worth....
2008-07-17 5:35 PM

Veteran
San Diego, CA

As you said, you have only been swimming for a few months. With all your doing you’re probably sore all over. No worries, keep up the good work. You’re going to get sore as you build up your skills.

Make time to get to a masters swim session and a good coach. Bad stroke usually just makes you slow, not sore, but it can happen. At the end of your swim workout when you are a tiny bit sore, is the best time to work your stroke.

Also limit your wall time between sets. Keep your heart rate up through out your swim workout. Nobody does himself or herself a favor when they bust out a 100 yards under a minute and then sit on the wall for the next 10 minutes. Keep adding the distance to your workouts over time. If your training 2X the distance of your event, the event will be a breeze even if the course in measured long.

Cheers and keep up the good work

2008-07-17 9:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Thre's some good advice that's been given in the prior posts. To answer the OP question about sore lats I'll quote from one of the training programs on BT

"Focus will be on learning to 'catch' the water with your forearm and pull yourself through the water. If you feel your lats (the muscles under your arm pits that go down the side of your back) engage, then you are starting to get it. If your shoulders are tired, then you are still using too much shoulder and not enough lats."

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob swimmer: sanity check Rss Feed