General Discussion Triathlon Talk » noob swimmer: breathing & dizzyness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-17 11:28 PM

User image

Subject: noob swimmer: breathing & dizzyness

hi all - newbie here! ..i've been a runner for a few years, a cycler for a few months, and swimmer (if you call it that) for a few hours. I have my first sprint in 3 months and I'm REALLY nervous after my swim today... I felt light headed and thought I was going to fall over. I searched these forums and found out I'm not alone. I'm trying to consolidate some basic breathing / swimming tips (as well as ways to help with being light-headed)... additions / corrections would be greatly appreciated.

- go slow and relax (I'm not looking to "win"....this time)
- exhale completely under water (nose and mouth)
- roll your body to get air (don't just turn your head)
- take a deep breath above water
- you can "side swim" to relax and catch your breath (see here )
- swim face down (facing the bottom of pool/ocean floor)

Dizzy / light-headed issues:
- try ear plugs/swim cap (water in the ear can cause this)
- breath (fully exhale underwater, deep breath in, not too fast -or- slow, find rhythm)
- don't move your head around too much, roll in/out of water

Any other thoughts or insight would be appreciated. I am now freaking out about the swim (in 3 months).. will try again tomorrow.. slower, deeper, relaxed...

- Mike

2008-07-18 6:27 AM
in reply to: #1538927

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-18 8:08 AM

Veteran
South Carolina
Subject: RE: noob swimmer: breathing & dizzyness
Last year was my first year of consistent swim practices. I was completely surprised at how fast you build up the ability to do longer yardage with each passing week. Don't worry - after a few weeks, you'll be much more comfortable, and able to swim longer.
2008-07-18 8:32 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
javaMonk - 2008-07-17 11:28 PM

hi all - newbie here! ..i've been a runner for a few years, a cycler for a few months, and swimmer (if you call it that) for a few hours. I have my first sprint in 3 months and I'm REALLY nervous after my swim today... I felt light headed and thought I was going to fall over. I searched these forums and found out I'm not alone. I'm trying to consolidate some basic breathing / swimming tips (as well as ways to help with being light-headed)... additions / corrections would be greatly appreciated.

- go slow and relax (I'm not looking to "win"....this time)
- exhale completely under water (nose and mouth)
- roll your body to get air (don't just turn your head)
- take a deep breath above water
- you can "side swim" to relax and catch your breath (see here )
- swim face down (facing the bottom of pool/ocean floor)

Dizzy / light-headed issues:
- try ear plugs/swim cap (water in the ear can cause this)
- breath (fully exhale underwater, deep breath in (above water, as mentioned above)   , not too fast -or- slow, find rhythm)
- don't move your head around too much, roll in/out of water

Any other thoughts or insight would be appreciated. I am now freaking out about the swim (in 3 months).. will try again tomorrow.. slower, deeper, relaxed...  (doesn't sound like swimming to me.

- Mike

Fixed

You have it covered, other than swim more/lots, and relax.  "Freaking out" needs to be tuned out.

2008-07-18 9:49 AM

Thanks for the replies, encouragement (and humor) Smile everyone! (this website is great for that)

I'm back at it today.. hoping for no dizzyness.. ill let you know how it goes..  cheers! 

2008-07-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1539620

Dizzyness just means you're doing it correctly.

Seriously, it is not uncommon for even experienced triathletes to be dizzy coming out of the water, particularly after a hard or very hard effort. I've been dizzy coming into T1 several times.

2008-07-18 12:38 PM

Nope, sounds like you know what you have to do! And yeah, you are gonna feel a little loopy jumping out of the water and running to T1. In practice, you usually do your sets, then chill out at the edge of the pool before getting out and going and changing, etc. But the switch from swimming directly to running is a lot for your poor inner ears to handle, esp. if you've pushed yourself, until you reorient yourself to dry land   But yes, go slow, relax and BREATHE and that will help a lot - you'll feel less out of breath coming out of the water and that should help.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-07-18 12:38 PM
2008-07-18 12:55 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

My favorite technique for relaxing/catching by breath on a swim is to roll onto my back and propel myself wil a slight kick.  It is a bit slower, but much more relaxing than a side or breast stroke.

Initially, I found that a lot of my problems with dizzyness were due to insufficient breathing.  I used to breath one stroke for every two non-breathing strokes.  Now I go two and two.

Also, here is a great thread on swimming technique.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=117554&start=1

I have personally learned a tremendous amount from the Total Imersion swimming books.  My favorite drill is to swim with my fists.  It forced me to optimize my entire body movement to help propel me.

2008-07-18 3:28 PM

Expert
Ocala, Florida

wow, glad to know i wasn't the only one having this issue.

newbie swimmer here myself who's learning to swim Total Immersion.   i just started the 0 to 1650 program and i'm really dizzy after i get out of the pool after doing just 700 meters.   

it usually clears after a couple minutes, but i thought it was something i was doing really wrong.

2008-07-18 3:35 PM

New user

Naperville, IL
I found that if I do not wear ear plugs I get so much water in my ears, I can only swim about 200 yards then I'm done. I would get light-headed and dizzy. I would need to stand in the water by the steps for a few minutes so I wouldn't fall over trying to get out of the pool. I even did my triathlon with ear plugs. I really hate water in my ears and didn't want to try swimming without them on that day.
2008-07-18 3:38 PM
in reply to: #1540870

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA
jtcats - 2008-07-18 1:35 PMI found that if I do not wear ear plugs I get so much water in my ears, I can only swim about 200 yards then I'm done. I would get light-headed and dizzy. I would need to stand in the water by the steps for a few minutes so I wouldn't fall over trying to get out of the pool. I even did my triathlon with ear plugs. I really hate water in my ears and didn't want to try swimming without them on that day.
My swim cap keeps the water out of my ears.

2008-07-18 3:45 PM

Champion
Butler
Try ear plugs, you might be getting water in your ear causing some vertigo.
2008-07-18 4:48 PM

Expert
Ocala, Florida
might try some ear plugs.   gonna buy a cap too.....see if that makes a difference.
2008-07-19 1:03 AM

Master
Portland, Oregon

I'm a new swimmer so I went and got me a coach. Here is what I have learned about breathing:

Breathe every other stroke. IE every time your right arm comes out of the water, breathe. (Or left whatever, just not every third stroke. According to my coach, that comes later, when I become stronger.) This is because you are using tons of oxygen, like a sprinter you need to breathe more often.

Do not blow bubbles the whole time your face is under water. Breathe, hold it, and just before you are about to get the next breath, blow out fast, and then breathe in as usual. "If you breathe in, and then immediately blow bubbles out, you aren't getting the full benefit of the breath. You are immediately in oxygen deprivation." This from a guy who is in his 40s and was .2 seconds from Olympic qualifying time. I figure he must know something. It takes a bit of practice to get this right, but as soon as I did, I could put two laps together without having to rest.

Swimming is very hard work. It uses your whole body more than either cycling or running. Your muscles need to learn to get rid of the lactic acid efficiently and use oxygen better since breathing is regimented for obvious reasons. That's why all of a sudden you'll find the "magic" and can swim continuously where you couldn't before. Your body learned. It clicked.

Ear plugs are good too. I hate water in my ears.

You can do this. Last year, in May, I signed up for my first tri (July 30th I think was the date). I started swimming in June. I had 7 weeks and had never swum laps before in my life. Horsing around in pools and lakes, yes. Actual swimming-to-get-somewhere, never. When we started the swim I thought the bouys were in the wrong place - omg were they ever far. I focused on just getting to one bouy at a time, and remember that I'd swam that far in practice lots of times. The thing that helped the most was that the week before, I had done the full 800 meters in the pool without touching sides/bottom/ropes or pushing off for the entire distance. Swim, stop, turn around, start going again. I knew if I could do that, I could swim in the lake going all one way. Weird, I know, but there's no "sides" to hang on in the lake so mentally it really helped me. At the beginning of the swim, they gave us our instructions, and it turned out that we were allowed to hang on the side of a boat or bouy if we needed to, and then continue without DQ. That was good to know. I ended up swimming backstroke for half of it, but I finish ahead of 1/3 of the field. When you're that new, you take what you can! This year I'm trying to break into the top 1/2.

Happy training and good luck with your tri!

2008-07-19 7:43 AM

Expert
Ocala, Florida

thanks for those suggestion ell-in-or

i'm actually using the 2 breath cycle and it's working good for me.    i think the water in the ears might be my dizziness issue.....as well as just learning to swim.

2008-07-19 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1541633

Thanks for the great tips and encouragement ell-in-or!

i got myself some ear plugs and motivation - going to give swimming another shot this weekend! ...really hoping for no dizzyness...  i'm going to try some of the things mentioned in your and other posts..    cheers!

-mike 

2008-07-19 8:41 PM
in reply to: #1541839

Regular
North Plains, Oregon
Ear plugs took care of my dizzyness.
2008-08-08 8:42 AM

just a quick update:

- dizzyness gone (ear plugs and practicing breathing)
- working on endurance (at this AM's swim I was able to go for about 25 mins! ..not all freestyle, a combo of back/side/breast/freestyle - but the way i see it, at least i'm moving forward Laughing)

thanks to everyone's encouragement and tips! ...now, I'm a little concerned about the wetsuit constricting my breathing.. so ill have to start training in it...

-peace

Edited by javaMonk 2008-08-08 8:43 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » noob swimmer: breathing & dizzyness Rss Feed