General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer looking for help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-19 3:33 PM

Subject: First timer looking for help
Hello -

I'll start off with my experience in triathlons....................

That's about it; I have never done anything like this before. In high school I was a three sport athlete and played college football after graduating. Now that my playing days are done, my competitive nature is not being satisfied. In fact, the only thing being satisfied is my appetite. I'm hoping that training for a triathlon will satisfy by need for competition and fitness. To my question......

There is no way I will be able to train in time to complete one this summer. Currently I am 6'2" and around 250 lbs. I was hoping that somebody could give me an idea of what kind of training I can do in preparation for next year. I wish to compete in an Olympic length triathlon. Every sample training schedule I found on this site and others are more geared for short term training periods (4 to 6 months). I would like to start training as soon as possible for next summer. But, I need some sort of guidance, almost like a map to guide me in this coming year.

Any help would be much appreciated. This seems like a great site with an abundant amount of information and helpful people. I look forward and thank you in advance for your information.

2008-07-19 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1542171

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Subject: RE: First timer looking for help

Welcome !!

My own experience with triathlon ....... 1 !!

I started with a Sprint and had a great experience. Planning a couple more this summer/fall and then a step up to Oly next summer. You might think about doing one as an intro.

2008-07-19 4:15 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

First option would be to just pick a sprint plan and start with it.  Second option would be start with one of the winter maintence programs to help build you a base.  You'll need a silver membership on this site to get access to those (absolutely worth it!).

Basically, start swimming, biking, and running.  When it's time to pick up a plan, you should have a base built up that allows you finish.

2008-07-19 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

Welcome.

My first suggestion would be to focus on swimming.  Except for those with competitive swimming backgrounds, it generally takes new triathletes a lot longer to get comfortable with swimming than running or biking.  It took me about 8 months of consistently swimming 2-3 times a week to get to the point where I felt I could complete an olympic distance swim.  So, get in the pool and see how it goes.  A few swim lessons with a good swim coach will definitely hasten the learning curve.

Other than swimming, just start running and biking.  There are some beginner sprint tri plans you could look at to get some ideas, but basically just get started.  A couple of times a week for each would be fine, for whatever time you are comfortable with.

Then, start looking at olympic training plans and try to find one that you think will fit you.  Then, your goal should be to able to train between now and when the training plan will start so that the training volumes of the first week of the training plan will be very comfortable.

Good luck

2008-07-19 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am no expert but if I were in your position I'd start with swimming biking and running now. Just do as much as you can but aim for 2 swims 2 bikes and 2 runs per week. Start out with low hours/minutes then build up VERY gradually. If you haven't been running and/or biking resist the urge to do more early as you could become at risk for injury. Then as someone had said do a winter maintenance program for the winter.

What I did to help build up the endurance for my IM training was...I started out with a HIM plan in January to build up a base from an Olympic fitness level and then moved on to a 20 week IM plan following the base phase of the HIM plan. So if I were you I would pick a race date (or something close) then plan your training following the winter maintenance program. Start out with a Sprint plan then graduate to a Olympic plan.

Hope this helps, remember I am no pro but this worked for me.
2008-07-19 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
central Iowa

Even if you're not planning on during a tri until next year, you could easily work in some single sport races.  Depending on where you live you could likely find a 5 or 10k nearby almost every month of the year.  Also the duathlon season is often longer than the tri season and would give you some multisport experience.

Good luck and welcome to BT. 

2008-07-19 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Why not do a sprint this year? Is it an ego thing (not trying to sound harsh but some people think unless you do a long race you aren't truly a triathlete)?

Everybody starts at a different level of fitness, but I would venture to think very few people couldn't complete a sprint with 2 or 3 months of training.

For me, I couldn't imagine 8 or 9 months of training before I race. I would get burned out and probably lose interest.

Guess what I am saying is to do like several posted and start training, but I would also set it as a goal to do a sprint this year, this will keep you motivated. Then continue to train over the summer for your Oly.

FYI, I am about to compete in my 4th tri this coming weekend (competed in my first on Memorial Day this year). All of them have been sprints. I want to do an Oly but I have not mastered the swim yet. I do feel that the sprint training and races have given me a good base to move forward in this sport.

2008-07-19 7:40 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You could, if you wanted, complete a sprint this year.  Especially because you have a fitness background.

As far as training, if you are not planning a specific race, just start getting out there and working on it.  Start out with 1x a week per sport, and work that up to 2x a week.  Start off (depending on your fitness level) anywhere from 15-30 min swim and run, and try for 30-60 min bike.

Check out if there are any tri-clubs or bike clubs in your area.  Sometimes the bike club will have beginner rides, these are a great way to get out there and find other people to work out with.

Once you are solidly training from 4-6 hours per week - pick up one of the training plans that fits with your goals/level.

I strongly 2nd the notion to train for SOMETHING this year - 5k/10k aren't too difficult and there's usually a lot to choose from.

Specific swimming/biking - well that's a little more difficult because of distance etc.

FWIW, I trained for and finished my first sprint tri with about 3 months of training and I weighed more than you do right now.  yeah, I was slow, and I was 2nd to last - but that is the race that got me totally hooked on this sport. 

2008-07-19 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

You mentioned that you couldn't do one this year. There is plenty of time to start now and do a sprint by the September or October to get a feel for it. It would be hard to go 8-9 months without testing out what your training... at least for me.

Someone mentioned 5k or 10k races... true, there are those each weekend, but if you're shooting for building a base of olympic or larger, the general concensus is to build up slow and steady. I would use the 5k or 10k races as part of your progress assessment, maybe once every 4 weeks or so. Otherwise, start building the base. 

I agree with others that the swim is likely your first limiter. I'd work on getting a good form (see a coach/swim instructor) first and then make work on distance. Worry about speed later. If possible, use open water swims... it is amazing how psychologically different open water is compared to a nicely lined pool bottom.

Instead of splitting equal time between bike and run, work on whichever will limit you the most. In my case, i'm far better off working my volume and frequency of running compared to the bike. I'd do a more 75-25 split.

Good luck and Welcome

2008-07-19 7:51 PM

User image

New Haven, CT

wcummin1 -

Your story sounds familiar as it is mine.  DT in college (2 year letter, 3 sport athlete in HS, all leagure center and DE), played rugby in law school to feed need to hit people/competition.  Then got job, married, kids and stopped working out and got fat. I have no cycling or swim background. Until rugby running was football running (i.e 3 miles was the long run with lots of gassers, progressives, etc.) so no real endurance training. 

Don't know if my "program" was right but it seems to be working. started last november. For running I basically followed the "I will run for x minutes" regime.  I started with 20 minutes at a 10 min mile pace until I could do 45 minutes (45 min is all I can stomach on the treadmill) withut feeling as if I would die.  Then stated working in incline and occasionally and slowly increasing the pace

For cycling, I took lots of spin classes until the weather warmed up and then broke out my mt. bike from college and rode it around a local trail.  Bought a used roadie after I decided I enjoyed it.

Swim: got in pool and swam 50 yards.  I then hyperventilated and said "crap, how is this goign to work?" I spoke with my friend who was captain of his college swim team and he gave me some tips.  THrough shear will of effort I was able to compelte about 200 yards after a month of swiming.  It was soooooo hard, howeevr. That is how I stumbled on this site and learned about the Total Immersion swim program.  Check it out.  I went from barely being able to survive 200 yards to swiming 1000 the day after I watched the videos for the first time.  I can now essentially swim forever, albeit slowly.

I am now loosely following the program on this site calle "intermediate sprint".  I too want to do an Oly and may do it this year.  However, there will be time for Olys in the future.  I have tried to use this year to lose weight and build a basic endurance base.  I suggest doign a sprint first as Olys require in race nutrition planning, which is a process in and of itself (and I am just figuring out during my long trainign sessions).  Also, open water swiming is so different from the pool, especially the swim start.

I have now finished 3 sprints (would be 4 but for a broken chain on my MTB during an off roader) and am steadily improving. If I can do it, you can.  Use this site as there are people with so much knowledge and the willingness to share.

Good luck and welcome to the insanity!

2008-07-20 1:03 PM

First - Wow, unbelievable response. What I expected from the people on this site.
Second - A lot of the responses focused on the "Swim" section of the tri. Surprisingly, this is the one area where I’m concerned the least. I grew up on a lake and have swam open water distances greater then those of the sprint and oly. Granted that was a couple years ago, I don't have any doubts I can re-achieve that endurance easily with training.
Third - Maybe I will shoot for a sprint later this summer or fall. There are three reasons I was thinking an oly for next summer. The first was for obvious training issues, second was that I don’t have a bike or any other equipment to compete with, and third I guess was an "ego" excuse. I wanted something that I would have to train hard and long for. But, a guy has to start somewhere. I will check to see if there is any late summer early fall sprints in my area.  I found a duathlon somewhat close in the beginning of October- run 2.5, bike 10, run 2.5. Any suggestions on training for a duathlon? Like weekly goals or anything would help. I’m almost 100% I will participate in this. It will be a good test on my way to completing an oly. Plus, it will break up that long training regime you guys were talking about.
jsklarz – Nice to hear that we share a similar story. I was a 3 sport starter, all conference and captain my senior year. I also played the line (DE) and lettered every year in college. It’s tough to stay active once you quit.  It’s comforting knowing that others have followed my same route, and succeeded! I look forward to checking in with you on my journey to completing an oly.

2008-07-20 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wayne, NJ
Up grade your membership on BT to silver; download a sprint plan to start. If the sprint plan in not challenging enough move on to an Oly plan. Try to get into a sprint race this year if you can just for the experience. Get into the water…………..
2008-07-20 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1543308

User image

New Haven, CT

wcummin1 - 2008-07-20 2:03 PM jsklarz – Nice to hear that we share a similar story. I was a 3 sport starter, all conference and captain my senior year. I also played the line (DE) and lettered every year in college. It’s tough to stay active once you quit.  It’s comforting knowing that others have followed my same route, and succeeded! I look forward to checking in with you on my journey to completing an oly.

What college did you play at? I was just a D3r at Colby College (the mighty White Mules).  Good luck with your tri goals.  If you can get through 10 years of doubles this will be no sweat!

2008-07-21 12:40 AM
in reply to: #1543308

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

wcummin1 - 2008-07-20 11:03 AM ... third I guess was an "ego" excuse. I wanted something that I would have to train hard and long for. But, a guy has to start somewhere. I will check to see if there is any late summer early fall sprints in my area. I found a duathlon somewhat close in the beginning of October- run 2.5, bike 10, run 2.5. Any suggestions on training for a duathlon? Like weekly goals or anything would help. I’m almost 100% I will participate in this. It will be a good test on my way to completing an oly. Plus, it will break up that long training regime you guys were talking about.

Guys who train to WIN a sprint - they are FAST.  It's called a sprint for a reason.  Think about going all out for 1.5 to 2 hours.  Ok, yeah, you can do one at a comfortable level (you can do any race at a comfortable level) - but it's a whole different ballgame if you're going to race it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer looking for help Rss Feed