General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New again from NYC -- a reintroduction Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 9:15 AM

Regular
Subject: New again from NYC -- a reintroduction
After a good solid 6 months off from exercise generally, and several years after finishing my last tri, I am starting again -- not quite back at the beginning, but a restart nonetheless.

I am 29 years old, living in New York City, working as an attorney. My last triathlon was the Philadelphia Liberty Triathlon, a sprint, about 4 years ago. Since then, I have twice signed up for, trained for, and dropped out of the NYC triathlon. This year I managed to remember to defer my entry, so at least I'm guaranteed entry next year.

My real goal is to stay motivated throughout the year. I went to the tri yesterday to watch some friends participate, and came away with the same thought I've had before -- I want to be doing this. So my goal is to remember that throughout the year, to keep up my motivation and to pace myself in my training so I don't burn out. Everyone here was a great help four years ago, and I'm sure will be again.

I also want to be doing other shorter races rather than just aiming for one. An early sprint would be good, a few 5Ks and at least one 10K before next year.

Anyway, just writing to say hello!

2008-07-21 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1545150

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: New again from NYC -- a reintroduction
Hey fellow NYCer, welcome to BT! Sounds like you're ready to get some racing done! you picked a good year to skip the NYC tri, unless you like jellyfish and racing in 90 degree weather Sounds like you have a good game plan w/ some road races ect... I was hoping to do the Liberty in 2009, but for now it's on hold till they find a race director. Lots of good folks from NY on this site so you've come to a great place to get advice and support (and a good laugh)! Enjoy and good luck w/ your training!
2008-07-21 4:16 PM

Regular
Thanks so much!

And it did seem like a good year to have missed the NYC triathlon -- just standing around in the heat watching others was enough!!
2008-07-23 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Another NYC Attorney, good to have you "on board" *pun intended*

What type of law do you practice?  I'm a patent attorney - a very boring practice area that leaves plenty of time for training.

2008-07-24 12:56 PM

User image

N Y C
Welcome back!
I disagree, you would have done great this year...you would have had plenty of nutrition along the swim. Sharks* love jellyfish : ) (*Attorney joke)

I was looking for motivation and signed up for NYC in Nov '07 to give me focus for the months leading to July 20 '08. I signed up and told EVERYONE about it...and made sure to remind EVERYONE that I was training for it. EVERYONE in turn kept asking about how I was doing and about my training - it was enough to keep me focused.

This site was an absolute blessing...I learned something valuable almost everytime I read the forums.

NYC is your backyard and you have access to train in it...use that to your advantage.
2008-07-24 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1552778

User image

Master
New York
condorman - 2008-07-23 1:15 PM

Another NYC Attorney, good to have you "on board" *pun intended*

What type of law do you practice?  I'm a patent attorney - a very boring practice area that leaves plenty of time for training.

x2 - what kind of law? My wife's does asset mgmt law for a big midtown corporate firm.

And welcome...back!

2008-07-26 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
Hey Mind Reader,
Good job posting my thoughts right before I did.
I've not done a triathlon in two years, but I saw one on TV today and recently moved to Charlotte. Everyone here seems to be uber-healthy and into triathlon...so the weakening triathlete in me sees them out working every morning and weekend and I can't watch them without just knowing I'm supposed to be out there too.
So...

Bye Bye all the bad habits I've formed over the last 2 years..
Hello triathlete AGAIN!

Good Luck!! Keep us updated!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New again from NYC -- a reintroduction Rss Feed