General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dinner with a legend in the sport. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-31 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA
Subject: Dinner with a legend in the sport.
Can you imagine sitting in a small meeting room and having dinner with Dan Marino, Babe Ruth, Nadia Comineci, or Tiger Woods?  How about getting that for a mere Andy Jackson?

Well, eat your hearts out, 'cuz my local club had Paula Newby-Frasier come to our annual banquet this weekend.  She talked for an hour or so, reliving her carreer and her approaches to training as it evolved during.  Nice lady, down to earth, and her love of the sport is frankly infectious.  She took plenty of time for Q&A - her candid response to a question about draft legal triathlon was hilarious "well, it just isn't the same triathlon as I...  it just sucks."

Quite a motivator, that was.  I'm jazzed for this season, maybe too much.  My long slow 50 minute run scheduled for this weekend got extended to 80 minutes because I just couldn't allow myself to stop.  Lucky for me I didn't win the lottery to be one of 100 lucky club members to sit in on a free newbies how-to/motivational clinic with Newby-Frasier the day after the banquet; I'd probably still be running.

Any BT'ers in central virginia should look into the Richmond Triathlon Club, I'm impressed with where we are going.

2005-01-31 2:55 PM
in reply to: #110656

Veteran
SF soon!
Subject: Fraggle, I hate you so.
:P

I hear PNF is quite affable...
2005-02-01 1:43 AM

Champion
Subject: RE: Dinner with a legend in the sport.
Thats cool...these people are so great for motivation. I just finished a 5 hour Tri clinic with Ironman champion Karen Smyers. There were only about a dozen of us there, and she took us through a swim session, a bike session on the computrainers, a weight training session, and a question and answer series on nutrition, training, and anything else we could come up with!

2005-02-01 6:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: RE: Dinner with a legend in the sport.
I can't wait until this Friday when my local Tri club hosts IM'er Andrea Fisher...She is going to give us a swim /T1 clinic. She is also speaking to our local running club on 'Beginning to run as an adult'. Great motivational stuff. It's so great when the greats in the sport give back...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dinner with a legend in the sport. Rss Feed