General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill runs with inclines - Do they help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-01 8:46 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Treadmill runs with inclines - Do they help?
I've been running a bit on the treadmill until my sinuses and cold decide I'm good enough to take on the elements.

While running on the treadmill I found I like the challenge of inclining in the middle of the runs for short distances (increasing lately, YEAY). A bit of variety is always good. I started with about 15 seconds and now I have it at up to 2 minutes at a time. This brought on a question or two.

1 - For those that treadmill, do you incline on your runs? If not, why not?
2 - If you do, do you find it helps (an advantage if you will), in races that have hills or swaying roads in the mountains? (common sense tells me yes but inexperience tells me to ask)

2005-02-01 9:23 AM
in reply to: #111000

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Treadmill runs with inclines - Do they help?

Steady running with a 1% incline will more accurately portray running outside.  Adjusting the incline in the middle of the run will simulate hills, but my biggest concern is that while you can adjust the incline to match your fatigue, the real hills don't.

Personally, I avoid treadmills.  I'd much rather actually be outside - I find that I run better in the real world, than bouncing along on the treadmill, either trying to read the newspaper of the guy on my left, or checking out the girl to my right and falling off the back...

2005-02-01 11:08 AM

User image

Orlando FL
Treadmill incline workouts can help with strength & interval training - but you need some time on real hills, too, since treadmills can't go negative (downhill)
2005-02-01 11:27 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I do treadmill runs by playing with the incline (per my coach) because this allows you to increase your heart rate while not increasing the "wear and tear" on your body.  If you were to increase your HR the same outside, you'd have to run "faster" but on a treadmill you increase your HR will much less impact on the body.

My coach has me do these type of "workouts" earlier in the season when he wants me to get up into z2 but doesn't want me to have so much pounding so early in the season.

The treadmill is a powerful tool in this regard as you can really hone in on getting your HR up at set intervals for a set amount of time with the precision of the incline adjustment on a treadmill, while hills outside come when they come and you don't have control of their length, occurance, or grade.

Edited by Steve- 2005-02-01 11:28 AM

2005-02-01 11:44 AM

User image

Pasadena, CA
Runing outside is "better" than running on a treadmill as it's sport specific... that being said running on a treadmill is much better than not running. Essentially, hills (simulated or real) add a force component to the session. Hill repeats are a skills session with a force component. Good running form is paramount when running hills (up or down) to get the most out of the session (foot strike, cadence, recovery leg, etc...). Be sure to warm up and maintain you very best form and take it outside when possible. Don't overthink it... keep it simple ;-)
2005-02-01 8:51 PM

I would consider doing inclines on the treadmill as more of a strength building exercise and less as an actual hill workout.  I've found that it doesn't necessarily increase my stamina for hills, but it definitely strengthens the quads.  And it's a hell of a workout!

2005-02-01 9:11 PM
in reply to: #111340

User image

Central New York
Also live in NY. So that means tredmills. I used to run without an incline, bu then realized that my tredmill time was not the same as my road time. Obviously easier to run on something that you are trying to keep up with, as to trying to push your weight down the road.

I run with the tredmill at 2. This allows me to somewhat simulate the road "effort". I will usually to a 5k program that has a series of 4 hills, and goes up to a 5 incline. Burns towards the end. But since I live in Central NY, there isn't anything 'FLAT' around here.

Go a week with no incline, then do another week at 1-2 incline. You will feel what we are talking about.
2005-02-02 9:06 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I love the challenges a hill brings but here in Brooklyn the curb is the closet thing to it for now.

As always, you are all very helpful.

Eddie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill runs with inclines - Do they help? Rss Feed