2008-07-29 10:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-07-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1566904

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: Riding Solo all the time
I did my first century this summer and had a similar experience. I always always always ride solo, so I got a major energy boost just being *around* so many cyclists (and yes, the occasional drafting on a line of bikes, which I'd never done before, so that was super fun, too).

I went way faster than normal and definitely didn't feel as tired as I did on my own. Must be a placebo effect. Or an endorphin effect...'cuz maybe it's just fun to be around other cycling nuts.

P.S. I remember reading somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong) that biking next to someone is considered drafting as well, simply because the camaraderie and the encouragement you get from being next to someone can help you go faster...
2008-07-29 10:17 AM

Regular
The Land of Misfit Toys

I can't give you a scientific response, but I can say, from the perspective of someone who primarily trains alone in all three sports, that when I do workout with a buddy, I seem to be able to go faster. I noticed this well before picking up triathlon when I was just a runner. I don't know if 95% of my workouts are alone, but the vast majority of them are. When I get out on the road to run or ride with a friend, I just go faster. I think part of it has to do with having a friend to distract you from the pain. Naturally, part of the benefit comes from any drafting that may take place. I'm not sure what the rest is from though.

So no, you're not alone in noticing big differences when you're out with someone else.

2008-07-29 10:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Being competitive have a lot to do with it too. No one wants their buddy or this large group of people to show them up on a run/ride, so you naturally pick up the pace and everything. Thats why I love race day so much. I do almost all of my training solo, so when I get into a race and can compete with others, I really enjoy it. Even if they aren't in my age group or whatever and I know I should just be racing myself and my time, if helps to have a rider to catch or stay with or stay in front of.
2008-07-30 9:16 PM

Master
Connecticut

There are several ways that riding with the other person can make things easier: 

1. There can definitely be a "social facilitation" effect, which is the added boost you get just from having someone else around.  Maybe it's competition or maybe it's instinctive cooperativeness. 

2. Having someone to talk to is a nice distraction. Distraction can be helpful at moderate level of effort (at intense effort, a more focused concentration may be better). 

3. Then there is the whole drafting effect, which can save an enormous among of energy.  The best position isn't always behind the other rider. In the cases of cross winds, the best position is to the leeward side of the other rider.

2008-07-30 11:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
MN

I train mostly alone and search out for other riders or runners to run down.  I'll even go out of my way to catch up and blow by someone, just cause.  I can only think of 2 times that someone did it to me.  Once I was really struggling and a grandma could pound me.  Another was when I was riding very solidy and got beat by someone really better.

I love the rabbit aspect of riding and running.  It is motivating to catch and pass someone.  It can be distracting to be passed however.  I try to counter it by thinking, 'youve been following me and I did not know you where there. Now's my turn to chase and catch you'.

2008-07-31 2:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
I noticed this recently also. I train alone 99% of the time (have gone on three bike rides with a friend, and one run with another person). Everytime I rode/ran, my pace went up dramatically.

Not sure why either, but it makes me want to do group work more often.
2008-07-31 8:01 AM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
I always train alone.  On my first race, I defiitely went a little faster, but that's because I'm competetive.
2008-07-31 10:55 AM

Master
Malvern, PA

sorry...

...thought you meant Hope Solo...

2008-07-31 1:53 PM

Expert
Portland,OR

You're absolutely not alone on this one.  Every ride I've ever been on with someone else (which has only been 3 or 4) I've been able to go faster with less perceived effort, same for the run and swim.  Don't know what it is exactly, maybe it's just more fun to share this with other people.

I've also used the "chasing the rabbit" technique on long solo rides.  It helps keep me motivated when I start to get tired.  I must say that I prefer riding with someone rather than chasing them down, but that's pretty fun too! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding Solo all the time Rss Feed