Other Resources My Cup of Joe » anyone here in the military? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-03 6:12 PM

Regular
Colorado Springs CO.
Subject: anyone here in the military?
I am seriously contemplaing enlisting in the navy, then applying for officer training after a few enlisted years.
I am going to a recruiter tomorrow to find out more about enlisting and taking the asvab.
I'm jsut wondering if anyone here is in the militatary and how does triathlon training and racing fit into your military career.
Thanks!

2005-02-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #112272

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: anyone here in the military?
I spend my weekdays in an AF uniform, so I guess I qualify. I'm not sure if our experiences would parallel though. For me it's great, free gym access, free pool access, free health care. All of which you would benefit from. The one big drawback I think you would experience is that whole being on a boat for 3-6 months at a time. And whatever you do, don't sign anything on your first trip to the recruiter.

bts
2005-02-03 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I started out enlisted in the Army for about three years and then went to Warrant Officer school followed by flight school.  Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.  I have to agree with the above post that the free health care and gym access is a pretty nice benefit.  As a pilot I get a complete physical each year (which was today by the way).  My flight surgeon is checking on the availability of LT/VO2 Max testing here on post.  He said it is normally reserved for people in cardiac rehab but it may be possible.  The "organized" physical training that we do is a waste of time so I do my best to get out of it and spend my time on something with more quality.

Don't get set on a specific branch too early and make sure you do lots of research.  What about joining as an officer from the beginning?

Michael

2005-02-03 8:19 PM

Regular
Colorado Springs CO.
thats a good point about specific branches, i'll keep my options open and visit all the branch recruiters.
I dont have a degree so i cant start out with officer training, i'm only 20 and still in school. i kinda ran out of $ for tuition and the military is sounding realy good to me right now. I am looking into the specific career options and future schooling, it jsut seems like a really good deal.
2005-02-04 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Before you jump headlong into military service, consider joining the Reserves/National Guard.  At this time of year, you'd likely do your initial Basic training this summer, do some weekends through the fall and winter, and then do any advanced training later.  You'll still qualify for school benefits.  This is coming from someone who did 4 years active and 4 years in the National Guard.  You can always sign up for OCS (Officer Candidate School) while in the reserves (though why ANYBODY would volunteer for a lobotomy is beyond me...)

I did my active stint in the 82nd Airborne during the Gulf War.  All that training helped me realize how far I can actually push myself.  No IM or 1/2 IM this year, but I'll get there sometime soon...

2005-02-04 11:19 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Yeah, I am prior military.  Also, there is a bunch of folks who sounded off in this thread who are current or prior military:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9462&posts=64

2005-02-04 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

I am a Navy Career Counselor,  if you have any specific questions, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be happy to give you the straight info, I am NOT a recruiter, so I won't try to sell you on the service. I work with people who are already in the Navy and help them advance thier careers through thing like special programs and officer porgrams.

John

2005-02-04 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
I'm not in the military but I am a Army Officer's wife. My husband enlisted and then after a year went thru the Prep school then on to the academy. Check this option out so you entire service with your education completed. That being said, really consider your options. Regardless what branch you join you will be facing multiple deployments over seas. Even joining the reserves you WILL do time overseas - the DOD has already tapped every reserve unit to do a tour overseas and they are looking to extend the tour time from 18 months to 24 months. We have friends who got out of active duty to join the reserves thinking they'd never deploy and guess what, they'll be gone for 18 months.

It's a huge honor to serve your country and I commend you for thinking of this service. But think long and hard about what it will mean for you being away from family and friends. The military benefits are wonderful, but there are sacrifices involved.

Good luck.
cathleen
2005-02-04 11:52 AM
in reply to: #112307

User image

Elite
Chicago

TheCecil - 2005-02-03 7:19 PM thats a good point about specific branches, i'll keep my options open and visit all the branch recruiters. I dont have a degree so i cant start out with officer training, i'm only 20 and still in school. i kinda ran out of $ for tuition and the military is sounding realy good to me right now. I am looking into the specific career options and future schooling, it jsut seems like a really good deal.

This is SOLID advice.  I visited recruiters of all 4 branches of the military and even took home their book of "jobs" in each branch to really do research.  Those recruiters hated me because I was a tough sell...but I wanted to make sure I got into a job I wanted and not jump into the military thinking I would be some kind of hero. (not that you are....but that was MY train of thought during my decision making process)

Cecil:  This is a little off topic and doesn't address your question....but.....I keep in touch with some of my military buddies and one in particular whom I met at Jump School in 1990.  He is now an instructor at BUD/S in Coronado (been an instructor for about 5 years now and has 14 years in the Navy).  He said that he became a SEAL to be a "bad ass" (direct quote from him) but he had 2 shoulder reconstructions, a colapsed lung during dive phase of BUD/S, and became non-operational after a time due to his shoulders.  So he was admin for about a year which really ate his goat. (For the most part SEALs hate desk jobs......for obvious reasons)

So, he told me that after his first combat "tour" (aka military operation) with his SEAL team, he said it became just a job where you train, and train, and train, and train day in and day out.  He mentioned to me that the training was so dangerous that if they had prisoners do it there would be an uproar about "inhumane treatment."

He said he was no longer operational, had 2 completely trashed shoulders, was broke (aka had no $$$), and if he wasn't in the SEALs he would have no idea what he could do in civilian life.  He applauded my decision to go back to college and said that I should remember what "matters" in life (he was referring to my wife).  That's some good advice coming from someone who's been to the edge.

So my point is, think LONG AND HARD about the military and be sure you join it for the "right" reason, whatever that "right" reason is for you.  Do not join it because you think it would be "cool" or because you want to be a "bad ass" because, guess what, it's not always gonna be "cool" and "bad asses" get dead too.  It's been my own experience, those that joined up for the "college money" tend to be much less motivated and end up infecting their units with their lack of motivation and they can become dangerous to those around them.  However, there are those who join up initially to be "cool" or a "bad ass" or for "college money" and end up seeing the light, do become incredible soilders!

Don't let the recruiters sell you, do your own homework and make your own judgement calls.  You reaching out to experienced prior/current military folk before signing on the dotted line illustrated that you're head is on straight and you'd make a squared away soilder if you decide to join up.

2005-02-04 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

I am currently a Naval Officer and was prior enlisted for 5 years before getting my commission.  Please feel free to ask me any questions that you would like...either about the Navy or Tri-training while in the Navy.  Glad to help, PM me anytime.

Lane

2005-02-04 2:31 PM

Regular
Colorado Springs CO.
Thank you all for the great advice! I really appreciate it.
i am going to visit the recruiter and do ALOT of research before i jump into it. I dont want to join specifically for college money thats just something i would benifit from. I have alot of reasons for considering the military such as structure, discipline, PT, and serving my country, job experience, travel, and a solid job. I still have some time to decide. I plan on finishing the semester and then joining, i think a year and a half of college will help out. i will make an educated decision for the right reasons regarding joining or remaining a civilian.
thanks again!!!

2005-02-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: #112718

User image

Elite
Chicago

TheCecil - 2005-02-04 1:31 PM Thank you all for the great advice! I really appreciate it. i am going to visit the recruiter and do ALOT of research before i jump into it. I dont want to join specifically for college money thats just something i would benifit from. I have alot of reasons for considering the military such as structure, discipline, PT, and serving my country, job experience, travel, and a solid job. I still have some time to decide. I plan on finishing the semester and then joining, i think a year and a half of college will help out. i will make an educated decision for the right reasons regarding joining or remaining a civilian. thanks again!!!

Sounds like you're squared away.

Good luck on your choice and let us know what you end up deciding!

2005-02-04 3:15 PM

GO ARMY!

Just kidding. I was in the Army for 6 years and am now comtemplating going back into the military. It would be a pay cut now, but you can't beat a job that requires you to stay in shape. Free gym memberships and pools to boot. I guess now you got to worry about that pesky Iraq deployment, but the way I look at it is if you aren't willing to do that you don't need to join any service active duty, reserve, or coast guard. Doesn't mean you have to want to but that you are willing and understand it could happen. Any type of deployment for that matter. I wasn't in the Navy but after talking with some Navy guys at a site in Italy a few months back I would think it would be one of the least beneficial services to try and maintain a tri-program. Seems 6 months on a ship could pretty much ruin a tri-specific program. I could be wrong, but out of all the services I have worked with, the Navy seemed to be overall less in shape. Not dissing the Navy or anything, just my experience. In saying that there are pros to being in the Navy over the Army. I tell you what I have found the most though. It isn't the service you are in but the job you have within the service that matters more.

Ask the 82nd Airborne guy if his and my experience at Ft. Bragg were similar in the least. I was in a strategic (non-airborne) signal unit. Totally different worlds on 5 miles apart.
2005-02-04 4:29 PM
in reply to: #112753

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

gypsykorea - 2005-02-04 1:15 PM GO ARMY!  Ask the 82nd Airborne guy if his and my experience at Ft. Bragg were similar in the least. I was in a strategic (non-airborne) signal unit. Totally different worlds on 5 miles apart.

HOO HOO!  We were on the Rapid Deployment Force, which meant we were almost always required to be within 2 hours of the post!  Seriously cut into golfing at Myrtle Beach!  On the plus side, our PT runs were 4 miles MWF and 2 on TuTh.  8:30 per mile was considered a slow run.  One time we had a squad leader run us out 6 miles, and challenged us to get back to the barracks before him.  We caught a ride with an MP, and had breakfast before he got back!

2005-02-05 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Joysey

I've been in the Marine Corps for almost 7 years now.  Granted most of my time has been in the reserves, but I was activated right after September 11th and spent the next 2 1/2 years on active duty.  I applaud you for wanting to join the military, but please think before you act.  Here's how I see active duty.  You can either love it and can't wait to re-enlist, or you can hate it and can't wait to get out.  The reserves are always an option.  Nowadays, though, if you think that you're going to join the reserves and do the one weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer thing, think again.  This is a reservists war and since there are more reservists than active duty, your chances of getting activated (repeatedly) and getting sent over seas is VERY VERY good.  My unit is slated to leave for the third time in December.

If all this doesn't scare you then great! You'll never regret doing this but there's a great chance you could regret NOT doing this.  Best of luck. 

2005-02-05 11:23 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

I served in the 75th Ranger Regiment for, well, the 90's basically. I'll offer this advice: don't become too attached to your personal plans and goals. From day one they will take a back seat to your job whether you like it or not. Whether those goals include triathlons, raising a family, your education, it's the same. Your military obligations come first, the only exceptions being dire emergencies. You might plan for a race, have a plane ticket, a hotel booked, your significant other is flying in from home to watch you race, etc... Something that seems trivial to you or something that has nothing to do with you may prevent you from going.

I don't intend to emphasize the negatives, but you have to be completely honest with yourself when you go in. Service in the military is not about getting college money, it's not about jumping out of airplanes, it's not about ribbons and medals. It is about one thing and one thing only: Service. Plain and simple. If  you want to reap the benefits (I happen to feel there are many) of spending a period of time in service to your nation, then go into it with realistic expectations and goals. I wish you the best of luck.

2005-02-06 1:08 AM

User image

New user

I have been married to the military for over 2 years...(Adder720) and from my point of view--it's a great time! It definitely takes someone w/a flexible personality and an open mind. We've moved 4 times in 2 years, and he's currently on his first 6 month deployment. From what I can tell, you should try and go officer, if you're already that far through school. See what the reserves can do for you...And, if you're going to go Navy (the wise choice, of course!) you should think about aviation...it's the way to go!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » anyone here in the military? Rss Feed