Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-08-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1614103

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Drafting in the Olympics
I wouldn't say the 5th(of 53) fastest run split is one of the "slower runners" would you?

Yes, I would. Thankfully "slower" is a comparative term. Henning was "slower" than four people who finished behind him. According to your statements they should have had the advantage. Why didn't they beat him?

ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 2:17 PM
Why don't you give me the statistical analysis of all ITU races instead of cherry picking a few events.

I'll let you provide that since you're having so much fun pulling up race results If your theory is in any way conclusive then it shouldn't require 5 pages to prove it.

Or how about an example where a winner ran out side the top 15~20% run times.

Sure, I'll just pull that example out of my rear the way you pulled that arbitrary number out of yours. Why not outside the top 1% of run times? Or the top 50% of run times? Great red herring, horrible counter-argument.

BTW, how did Reed do against Kemper in the OLY?

So Reed and Kemper going 1-1 using their different strategies somehow proves runners have the advantage? While a wonderful example of a non-sequitor, it still does nothing to bolster your point.

2008-08-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1614103

User image

Master
Reston, VA
You said that the OLY example ended the debate.  It does not as I stated. 

But since you want to add another race to the "debate" then fine.  The '07 winner, Henning, had the 5th fastest 40k of the race, The runners with the 1st and 2nd fastest runs came in 2nd and 3rd respectively.  I wouldn't say the 5th(of 53) fastest run split is one of the "slower runners" would you?

Not much of an example where the "stronger" runner(S)" don't come out on top. 

As far as examples go.  Why don't you give me the statistical analysis of all ITU races instead of cherry picking a few events.  Or how about an example where a winner ran out side the top 15~20% run times. 

Can you give an example of when a non-draft triathlon was won by someone with a run time outside the top 15-20%? There may be one but I cant think of one and have never seen one.

2008-08-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1614123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
JohnnyKay - 2008-08-19 3:25 PM

ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 3:17 PM

Or how about an example where a winner ran out side the top 15~20% run times. 

I guess I can't stay away. 

I don't really want to get into this "show me" argument (again, I think it misses the point entirely), but...

show me ANY triathlon where the winner runs outside the top 15-20% of run times!  It may have happened, but I'd be impressed (or perhaps not, since the rest of the field would seemingly have had to have been pretty poor swimmers & bikers)!

Just step away from the computer!

You are right, there most likely isn't an example.  My point is that a top 5 runner is not "slow". 

2008-08-19 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1614153

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 3:32 PM 

My point is that a top 5 runner is not "slow". 

It's getting hard to figure out what your point is!  That it helps to run fast at the end of a race?  Gee, newsflash!  Runners with strong "kicks" often win too. 

2008-08-19 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1614139

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

Bripod - 2008-08-19 3:30 PM
I wouldn't say the 5th(of 53) fastest run split is one of the "slower runners" would you?
Yes, I would. Thankfully "slower" is a comparative term. Henning was "slower" than four people who finished behind him.

Thankfully for your agruement.  Again, I never said the fastest one runner will always win.  Why do you keep implying I did? 

So to continue this debate, then will need to agree on the term "slower" and "faster" runners.  Since you didn't like my reference point, I'll let you take a stab about it.  I will not agree to any runner slower than the fastest one however since that is not what I have stated. 

According to your statements they should have had the advantage. Why didn't they beat him?

Again, I didn't say the fastest runner will win.  What I have said is the faster runnerS (see there is an S meaning mulitple people) will win.   A top 5 runner is one of the faster runners.  Like it not. 

ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 2:17 PM Why don't you give me the statistical analysis of all ITU races instead of cherry picking a few events.
I'll let you provide that since you're having so much fun pulling up race results If your theory is in any way conclusive then it shouldn't require 5 pages to prove it.

Or yours.  It goes both ways right?  You are the one that asked how many examples I wanted.  And I quote:"How many examples would it take? " I told you.  I'm thinking you are affraid of the results as it wouldn't support your contention. 

Sure, I'll just pull that example out of my rear the way you pulled that arbitrary number out of yours. Why not outside the top 1% of run times? Or the top 50% of run times? Great red herring, horrible counter-argument.

You fail to state why that is a red herring.  Why is it?  I'll give you a hint, it isn't one just becuase you say it is.  Again, lets decide on the terms of what it means to be "slow" and "fast". 

So Reed and Kemper going 1-1 using their different strategies somehow proves runners have the advantage? While a wonderful example of a non-sequitor, it still does nothing to bolster your point.

Ummm...you were the one that used Reed and Kemper as examples.  How is it a non-sequitor when it doesn't support your contention?  That is pretty cool  for you, how does that work?   So Reed beats Kemper, all is cool.  Kemper beats (no destroys) Reed and its a non-sequitor.  Never really debated before have you?

Once again, you attributing my position as the fastest runner will always win.  That is an easy position to shoot down.  Trouble is, that isn't my position.  Read my posts again,  when you comprehend them, try posting again.  thanks!

2008-08-19 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1614167

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
JohnnyKay - 2008-08-19 3:36 PM

It's getting hard to figure out what your point is!  That it helps to run fast at the end of a race?  Gee, newsflash!  Runners with strong "kicks" often win too. 

Thanks for the news flash.  That was helpful 

I'll give you a recap from which the quote came from.  Someone offered up the '07 Hi Vee tri as "proof" that slower runners can win an ITU race.   Having the 5th fastest(of 50+) run split is not a "slow" runner.  Do you get the point now? 

2008-08-19 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1614268

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 4:08 PM
JohnnyKay - 2008-08-19 3:36 PM

Thanks for the news flash.  That was helpful 

I'll give you a recap from which the quote came from.  Someone offered up the '07 Hi Vee tri as "proof" that slower runners can win an ITU race.   Having the 5th fastest(of 50+) run split is not a "slow" runner.  Do you get the point now? 

You assert that the fastest runners will win.  As "evidence" you indicate that top finishers have the fastest run splits.  But that doesn't define "fastest runners" except in a very narrow sense, i.e., it defines those that ran the fastest in the TRIATHLON!  You ASSUME that they are the fastest runners in the group.  They may or may not be depending how the SWIM & BIKE played out.

Do you get the point now?

Yes, being a relatively better runner is generally more valuable than being a relatively better swimmer or biker.  However, this is generally true in most triathlons (certainly the swimmer portion).  The argument seems to hinge on matters of degree and I'm not sure it's as big as you seem to imply.  But, then again, I'm still not certain what your point is as you seem to be debating very "narrow" portions of this argument.

2008-08-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1614246

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 3:01 PM

Thankfully for your agruement. Again, I never said the fastest one runner will always win. Why do you keep implying I did? .... Again, I didn't say the fastest runner will win. What I have said is the faster runnerS (see there is an S meaning mulitple people) will win. A top 5 runner is one of the faster runners.

You just proved yourself wrong then. Runner 5 of 5 beat runners 1-4. Runners 1-4 "will win" is not an accurate statement, at least not in this one instance as well as many other examples which we have exhausted previously.

It goes both ways right? You are the one that asked how many examples I wanted. And I quote:"How many examples would it take? " I told you. I'm thinking you are affraid of the results as it wouldn't support your contention.

I'm not the one going against the general consensus that the runner doesn't necessarily have the advantage in a draft-legal triathlon, therefore the dissenting opinion should provide the evidence. Since the evidence you seek would require an extensive analysis of data which would only result in providing a consistent proof of one opinion over another in an internet forum debate I must decline at this time. My time is much better spent with my wife, swimming, biking, running, walking my dog, tending my garden, cleaning my house, working, etc. Basically; I don't care enough about this topic but if you do then I encourage your endeavor.

You fail to state why that is a red herring. Why is it? I'll give you a hint, it isn't one just becuase you say it is. Again, lets decide on the terms of what it means to be "slow" and "fast".

It's a red herring by definition, why should I have to explain any more than that? Instead of then trying to further support your claim that "the faster runnerS (see there is an S meaning mulitple people) will win" you introduce another red herring. Let's stay on the topic.

Ummm...you were the one that used Reed and Kemper as examples. How is it a non-sequitor when it doesn't support your contention? That is pretty cool for you, how does that work? So Reed beats Kemper, all is cool. Kemper beats (no destroys) Reed and its a non-sequitor.

If your point is "the faster runnerS (see there is an S meaning mulitple people) will win" Then trying to use Kemper's run-fast strategy that has a 50% success rate against Reed's bike-fast strategy is a non-sequitor. The proof does not follow the claim.

Since you have failed to provide any proof supporting "the faster runnerS (see there is an S meaning mulitple people) will win" I will assume this debate is concluded. I apologize for my apparent poor reading comprehension.
2008-08-19 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1614319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

You just proved yourself wrong then. Runner 5 of 5 beat runners 1-4. Runners 1-4 "will win" is not an accurate statement, at least not in this one instance as well as many other examples which we have exhausted previously.

The trouble is, the race was not 5 of 5, there were 53 in the race.  Nice try however. You can't just look at the subset, you have to look at the whole group.  And by doing do, I proved that the slower runners, in the whole group, didn't win this race nor any that been offered.   And just what other examples are you speaking of?  Last night's Oly tri?  I guess you didn't see the splits did you?  Again lets define and agree to the terms slower and faster.  I see you advoid the question, request.  You are good at that. 

"I'm not the one going against the general consensus that the runner doesn't necessarily have the advantage in a draft-legal triathlon, therefore the dissenting opinion should provide the evidence."

Excuse me?  The general consensus is that the faster runners do have the advantage in ITU.  The fact that only a few are posting in this thread this opinion doesn't make it the dissenting opinion.  That would be like saying most americans are Triathletes since most everyone here is a triathlete.  Add that to the fact the 1st opinion expressed in this thread was that the runners have an advantage and yours is the dissenting view.  You tried to offer edivence to support your position, but alas, it was proven wrong.  Funny now that you don't have any evidence you want to put the burden on me.  Sorry, doesn't work that way. 

"I don't care enough about this topic but if you do then I encourage your endeavor. "

Funny, you care enough to reply to me mulitple times.  Oh well.  At any rate, you asked for more examples, and I gave you my answer.  How many examples are you willing to give me?  Or was that just some not so well thought out reply of yours? 

"It's a red herring by definition, why should I have to explain any more than that?"

Fine, avoid the question, again.  Your post is nonsense, lacks any merit, and just plain stupid.  Why?  It is by "definition" becuase I said so, end of debate.  That is pretty easy.  I'm going to just start using that tatic anytime I'm losing a debate.  

If your point is "the faster runnerS (see there is an S meaning mulitple people) will win" Then trying to use Kemper's run-fast strategy that has a 50% success rate against Reed's bike-fast strategy is a non-sequitor. The proof does not follow the claim

I must say, you are deft at advoiding questions.  I'll ask again.  Why is my example a non-sequitor but yours, the exact same, but with different results not?  How can that be? Also please remember who 1st used it.   

Since you have failed to provide any proof supporting "the faster runnerS (see there is an S meaning mulitple people) will win" I will assume this debate is concluded. I apologize for my apparent poor reading comprehension. 

No, you just can't or refuse to recognize the proof.  This is sort of like talking to my three yr old.  You can tell him the sky is blue and he'll say its red.   Have a great time with your family and other endeavors.  I know I will.

2008-08-19 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1614307

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

"You assert that the fastest runners will win.  As "evidence" you indicate that top finishers have the fastest run splits.  But that doesn't define "fastest runners" except in a very narrow sense, i.e., it defines those that ran the fastest in the TRIATHLON!  You ASSUME that they are the fastest runners in the group.  They may or may not be depending how the SWIM & BIKE played out."

Not sure how you would define fast runners other than their times.  I'd like to hear about this some other way.  Maybe with this other way, I'm consider fast!  I'm not assuming anything.  Who were the favorites going in?  Were they the "faster" runners, bikers, or swimmers?  And if fact, this race(the oly) did come down to the faster runners. 

"Yes, being a relatively better runner is generally more valuable than being a relatively better swimmer or biker.  However, this is generally true in most triathlons (certainly the swimmer portion).  The argument seems to hinge on matters of degree and I'm not sure it's as big as you seem to imply.  But, then again, I'm still not certain what your point is as you seem to be debating very "narrow" portions of this argument."

You are right, the arguement does hinge on the matter to the degree of which the runners have an advantage.  I think it is a "large" one, certainly larger than in non-draft legal races.  I woulvn't know how quantify the advantage so I will not even try.   There is a pretty good thread over on ST regarding the same subject.  Its a good read and the posters are better writers than I.  check it out if you haven't already. 

2008-08-19 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1614734

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 6:34 PM

Have a great time with your family and other endeavors. I know I will.

Thanks! I will - glad to hear you will too. Take care.

2008-08-19 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1614759

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 8:03 PM

Who were the favorites going in?  Were they the "faster" runners, bikers, or swimmers?

The faster triathletes.  And Frodeno was not generally considered one of them.

I'll skip the ST banter on this thanks as I actually think the "debate" (such as it is), is sort of pointless.  And as fun as this has been, I'll now really bow out here as well.

2008-08-20 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1583341

User image

Master
I watched the bike and run portions of the men's race yesterday, and the bike portion was pretty boring. It seems as if the rules that allow drafting are designed to keep the pack close to create a closer finish? Is this a way of marketing triathlon or making it more viewer friendly? At any rate, it was great once they got off their bikes and started racing.

From first to last place the time differentials were:

Swim - :59
Bike - 1:07
Run - 7:54

As it is, it seems as if the best strategy is to hang out and draft, let others do the work, stay with the pack, and save the legs for the run. I would rather have seen a race with no drafting, bigger hills, and either a single loop or out-and-back course.
2008-08-20 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1615997

User image

Master

monkeyboy64 - 2008-08-20 11:12 AM I watched the bike and run portions of the men's race yesterday, and the bike portion was pretty boring. It seems as if the rules that allow drafting are designed to keep the pack close to create a closer finish? Is this a way of marketing triathlon or making it more viewer friendly? At any rate, it was great once they got off their bikes and started racing. From first to last place the time differentials were: Swim - :59 Bike - 1:07 Run - 7:54 As it is, it seems as if the best strategy is to hang out and draft, let others do the work, stay with the pack, and save the legs for the run. I would rather have seen a race with no drafting, bigger hills, and either a single loop or out-and-back course.

Then it wouldn't be ITU racing 

2008-08-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1616019

User image

Master
slake707 - 2008-08-20 11:18 AM

monkeyboy64 - 2008-08-20 11:12 AM I watched the bike and run portions of the men's race yesterday, and the bike portion was pretty boring. It seems as if the rules that allow drafting are designed to keep the pack close to create a closer finish? Is this a way of marketing triathlon or making it more viewer friendly? At any rate, it was great once they got off their bikes and started racing. From first to last place the time differentials were: Swim - :59 Bike - 1:07 Run - 7:54 As it is, it seems as if the best strategy is to hang out and draft, let others do the work, stay with the pack, and save the legs for the run. I would rather have seen a race with no drafting, bigger hills, and either a single loop or out-and-back course.

Then it wouldn't be ITU racing 

I could live with that.
2008-08-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1615997

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

monkeyboy64 - 2008-08-20 12:12 PM

I watched the bike and run portions of the men's race yesterday, and the bike portion was pretty boring. It seems as if the rules that allow drafting are designed to keep the pack close to create a closer finish? Is this a way of marketing triathlon or making it more viewer friendly? At any rate, it was great once they got off their bikes and started racing.

As it is, it seems as if the best strategy is to hang out and draft, let others do the work, stay with the pack, and save the legs for the run. I would rather have seen a race with no drafting, bigger hills, and either a single loop or out-and-back course.

The ITU rules were developed in order to sell triathlon to the Olympic Games (at least that's what I've been told); the reason was that at the elite non-draft races, the actual winner might not be the person to cross the line first (due to drafting penalties) and the final placings were taking up to an hour to determine (assigning penalties, appeals, jury decisions).  They wanted an event that would ensure that the first athlete to cross the line was the winner; the easiest way was to allow drafting.

Definitely, if you can sit in the pack and not get dropped or crash, cover any serious breaks and then get off and run with the leaders, this is the most likely plan of attack.  However, there is much more going on than can be seen on the coverage; the leaders will go through the turns fast and then accelerate out of the turn to put pressure on the guys at the back; they will do the same on the hills and wind if possible.  At those speeds, once you get dropped your chances of getting reattached and not frying your legs for the run are slim; look at how hard the chase group was working but they didn't catch the main group and that was a decent sized group or how fast the Mexican rider fell back once he was dropped by the break.

As for the course, they use loops to make is spectator friendly but also to have lots of twists and turns; if you look at the course there were 9 90* turns and 2 180* turns in under 7km with about 70m (~210') of climbing.  Although the course could have been more technical and with more climbing, it was by no means an easy course.

Shane

2008-08-20 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1616067

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

monkeyboy64 - 2008-08-20 12:31 PM

I could live with that.

But the Olympic Games probably wouldn't...

Shane

2008-08-20 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Thanks for the explanation about the rules.
2008-08-29 9:20 AM

Veteran
""I am telling you, these guys should train more to become real triathletes so they can kick booty when they decide to do non-draft triathlons like 70.3 and IM. Wait a minute, I thought Crowie, Macca, McGlone, Jone, Carfree, Potts, Bonzzonne, Lessing, Smyers, etc use to do ITU racing, mmmmmmm""

LOL. AskPotts or Macca or Crowie as to whether they like drafting. Ha Ha.
I saw the race, finally. It was very exciting and technical and close. If drafting were illegal the strong bikers would have had a much bigger lead before the run and Frodeno wouldn't even have medaled. Sorry.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting in the Olympics Rss Feed  

of 5