General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What really confuses me... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-26 3:47 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: What really confuses me...
Is all this heart rate talk. I mean there are just so many different ways to calculate your max hr and as a consequence as many different ways to calculate your zones. My polar monitor gives me a huge zone of 118-156 to exercise in. The orca website gives me a max hr of 185 and a zone 2 limit of 130. An article in this months Triathlete magazine says my zone 2 limit should be 140. I want to work on building a good base should I exercise at 130 of 140? Or should I even listen to anyone...

2004-02-26 4:07 PM
in reply to: #9465

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
Subject: RE: What really confuses me...
they say the best way to calculate your maximum hr is through a stress test, preferably i would imagine under the supervision of a physician or some such professional. it seems everybody's max hr is different. once you determine that then you can adjust your zones. i'm no expert, but that's what i've read in many different articles. i personally don't use the heart rate method too strictly, i use the monitor to let me know where i am generally and try not to get too high. i usually can tell by my effort though whether i am working too hard.
2004-02-26 4:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Max HR formulas are based on the theoretical average human, and because of this they are only accurate for a person that fits into that average part of the bell curve. So how do you know if you are 'average' when it comes to max HR? Test it, of course then you don't need the formulas anyway. Check out this article on the main site, it covers how to find your true max HR:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/HRMoniterPartI.htm

BTW my max HR for running is 195, based on the age formula it should be 181. It's always been higher, remember having 205+ HRs on the bike at times when I was in mt early 20s.

JD

Edited by DharmaBum 2004-02-26 4:14 PM
2004-02-27 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

This is confusing!

Everyones' maximum HR is different. It seems to be a random number unique to you. It is no reflection of your level of fitness. It drifts slightly downward with increasing age, but otherwise doesn't change. To add to the confusion, your HRmax is different for various activities. This is due to your body's position & other factors. The HRmax for swimming is much, much lower than for running.

Testing your maximum HR is dangerous. It really should only be done only under medical supervision.

A good way to train is to determine your lactate threshold for each activity. Your LT threshold is your HR at the moment you begin to breathe really hard...about a 17 on the Borg RPE scale.You can set your training zones as a % of  your lactate threshold as opposed a % of max heart rate.

My own HRmax ror running is much higher than either my age- predicted max.or the max using the Kavornan method. If I used these numbers I would really be cheating myself.

I hope this clears some of this up!

2004-02-29 6:47 PM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Here is yet another way to calculate HRM for Base Training.
Written by Mark Allen in February 2002.

http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/vnews/markallen/1011626750
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What really confuses me... Rss Feed