General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Tri guy in the NE Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-12 2:18 PM

Subject: New Tri guy in the NE

A friend of mine is training for his first Ironman.  And for over the past few months has been telling me about his races.  Well I asked for his advise and he recommended my first ract in 6 weeks.  A sprint.  1/3 mile ocean swim, 15 mile bike and a 3.2 run.

Well, I have been biking for about 6 months and have done a 50 mile ride at 16 MPH avarage.  I have not run very much in the past year but have done a few 10 races.  Swim, this is my worry.  I was bairly able to swim 200 yard last time in the pool.  I understand that it can be done in 6 weeks but I dont want to drown...

2008-08-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1597965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Tri guy in the NE

Welcome. I am new to triathlons too and just finished my first sprint a couple of weeks ago.  I am hooked and already signed up for another one before the season ends.  Unlike you, my first two are lake swims since I am definitely not comfortable swimming in the ocean yet.  There are swim clubs/tri clubs at the NJ Shore that help train for OWS.  Not sure where you live, but you could check and see if there are any groups near you that would help you get comfortable swimming in open water.  Even more important is knowing that you can swim the distance even in a pool.  Yes, you can drown so you need to do everything you can to be ready.    My local Y offers a stroke clinic which helps refine strokes.  Maybe, you could even have your friend who did the IM give you some pointers and spend time helping you improve.

Good luck and welcome to the insanity!

2008-08-16 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1597965

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: New Tri guy in the NE
Sounds like your getting some good advice from your friend. Good luck with your training and welcome to BT!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Tri guy in the NE Rss Feed