General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need bike help! (post first tri) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-17 3:28 PM

New user

Subject: Need bike help! (post first tri)

Just finished my first tri on Saturday! (hoping to write up a summary later)  Finished 331 / 487 overall, 16/37 on the first timers group.  Overall I was fairly pleased... except the bike.  Finished 207th overall on the swim (11:35 for 600m), and 127th overall on the run (25:30 for a 5k).  However my bike was 436th overall (43:16 for 11 miles).  Average speed was 15.3 mph.  This isn't too far off what I figured from training, and I wasn't really sure to expect.  I have to be missing something in the bike technique / training / etc, I feel like I'm in decent shape, and there's no reason that I should be in the top 30 - 40% of athlethes for the swim & run, and in the bottom 10% in the bike.

I didn't have any major issues, I didn't feel like I was horribly out of breath or out of shape for it, or that I was over-exerting myself... I just can't seem to maintain any sort of speed.  I did have an issue with a calf cramp starting out, so the first 45 seconds (after transition mat) was me massaging my calf, but once I got going it held up fine.

I started doing a lot more research this morning about it, mainly about trying to get into a higher cadence while riding, instead of more power on each revolution.  I think I've definitely  been going in too high a gear for training and the race so far.  I've got a basic bike, it's not quite a mountain bike, but the tires are nowhere near the tiny little ones.

Any basic tips to get started? I'm thinking about getting a simple bike computer, what features should I be looking for?  I saw a few for $20 at Sports Authority.

Any tips what I should change in my training? I've been doing 25-40 miles a week (3 workouts) for the past 7 weeks beforehand, building up to the end.  Should I consider a big increase in that?  Or just focus on technique and training to maintain a much higher speed over 10-12 mile workouts?  I'm a little time-constrained in when I can bike, though I am free to toss a big ride in on the weekends if need be (done one 20 mile ride so far on a weekend).  I'd like to do at least 1 more tri this year, and make a huge dent in that bike time!

2008-08-17 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1608862

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Need bike help! (post first tri)
thompsondn - 2008-08-17 3:28 PM

Any tips what I should change in my training? I've been doing 25-40 miles a week (3 workouts) for the past 7 weeks beforehand, building up to the end.  Should I consider a big increase in that? 

Yes.

The broken record I play advice I always give is to Ride Lots!, and when asked to quantify that I will say that 25-40 miles is great, if you do it per day, four or more days per week. Seriously, if you want to improve on the bike, it really is as simple as building to 100-150 MPW and maintaining that level for a number of years months.

Re: Cadence
Many, but not all, find it beneficial to pedal at a higher (85-95rpm) cadence. The analogy often given is to ask if it is easier to curl 200 pounds once, or 20 pounds 10 times. But it really is an individual preference, as you ride more at a variety of cadences you will settle on one that is most efficient for you.

Re: Computer
A bike computer is a must IMHO, as it is a simple cheap way to determine what level you are at and what gains you are making. A $20 Sports Authority computer would be adequate, or you may want to spring for one with more features. For example, you may want to get a  computer that has a cadence monitor if you want to focus on the topic in the preceding paragraph.

2008-08-17 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
welcome to reality...i think most people that start out think they'll be hammering along at 20+ mph in no time, but the reality is that it takes time in the saddle and lots of muscle conditioning to get your bike times down and your speed up....dont worry about your bike split, everyone who isnt a cyclist coming into tri's has to start somewhere, just like you are...as bear said, get your mileage up and your splits will decrease with time...you may want to think about a bike trainer if you are having trouble finding time to ride, then you can ride at home whenever you want...good luck, hope this helped a little
2008-08-17 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Do you have knobby or smooth tires on your bike. Smooth tires will be a lot faster.

Do you ride in sneakers on a flat pedal or bike shoes with clipless pedals. Bike shoes will be a lot faster.

Even the flat pedal with the metal/ strap cage around your toe with sneakers would be faster than sneakers on a flat pedal, but not as fast as bike shoes in a clipless pedal.

Mountain and hybrid bikes are just fine for sprint and Oly triathlons, but their gearing is not as fast as a road bike, even at the same cadence and effort.

Many bike shops will carry a Cateye Astrale 8 bike computer for about 25 dollars, and it measures distance, cadence, speed , time while moving ( the clock stops if the wheel is not moving) average speed, fastest speed and total mileage for all your rides on that bike. Other brands are good too.

Note: in general, the road bikes are faster, but less comfortable to ride. Same with tri bikes, they are faster, but less comfortable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need bike help! (post first tri) Rss Feed