General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm Overtrained and it Bums Me Out!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-27 11:39 AM

Bartlesville Oklahoma
Subject: I'm Overtrained and it Bums Me Out!!!
I'm overtrained. I've researched it and have realized that "back in the day," during the old weightligting years, I was overtraining most of the time and didn't know it. Cardio work is different. Seems to me that if you're overtrained, YOU KNOW IT.

I HATE to take rest days. I especially hate to rest more than a couple days at a time. I'm used to forcing my body to do what I want it to do.

I need some wise advice about how to look at all of this differently. I'd also LIKE to lose another ten pounds for vanity reasons. I'm within the healthy weight range, and my friends tell me I'm being too silly. That said, I still want to lose. Yet, after two months, I've only lost five pounds and taken one inch off my hips (two off my waist). I know that muscle weighs more, and I do feel like I'm a little bit more streamlined, but MAN, seems like I should be losing more. My loving husband (God bless him) reminds me that I may be "at that age" when I don't lose a quickly as I USED to. Never used to be a problem for me-I was fortunate.

Because of my fatigue and lacking progress, I HAVE backed off quite a bit over the past week, but I'm still sore and my times are getting worse.

Any encouragement or advice out there among the triathletes? You folks have already been so helpful and encouraging-I really enjoy your comments.

http://tribaby.blogspot.com/

2004-02-27 2:54 PM
in reply to: #9566

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: I'm Overtrained and it Bums Me Out!!!

Spring is on its way.  That will clear up this overtraining malaise that is going around.  Frogs are croaking the puddles even inside the city limits of Atlanta.  Until then, you know the drill, cut it back by half for a week like the experts say and walk so you can see the flowers poking through the snow. In a couple of weeks, you will be setting PB's every day.

TW 

2004-02-27 10:49 PM

, Alabama

If you are on a weight reducing diet, it is possible you're not taking in enough calories or vitamins and minerals to maintain your body while also exercising.  It may not be overtraining at all.  Also, if you know you are in a healthy weight range as it is and have already lost 5 lbs, any further weight loss should be expected to be slow, so if you have determined that it is still safe and healthy to continue reducing, be patient. 

Do you know your resting HR when you first wake up in the a.m.?  That is also a good measure of whether or not you are over training.  That will be elevated.  Also unusual insomnia is a symptom of overtraining.  If you have backed off a lot and are still sore, maybe you should stop altogether for a few days.  It would be a good opportunity to focus on stretching, reading up on training techniques, etc.  Good luck.  Rest days are not the same as being lazy.  They are every bit as important as the workout days.  Think of it as an investment of your time.

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2004-02-27 10:51 PM
2004-02-28 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Ooh, do i feel your pain.... it almost is like a form of an addiction. The only question you should be asking yourself is this: is your "vanity" worth a serious injury or big time burn-out?

Both of these scenarios will lead to your taking a LONG EXTENDED recovery.... and trust me, that's not a fun thing to go through. Not being able to train, when you know what you can do and/or what you used to be able to do--> leads to some form of depression. Which leads to some funky arse emotional cycles..... really trust me on this- you don't want to get to this point.

As hard as it might seem, find another activity to do on your rest days. This way your mind is not obsessing about what you think you should be doing. Listen to your body! Good luck with this.

Milly
2004-02-28 4:10 PM

Bartlesville Oklahoma
Ahh. Helpful words from everyone. Spring IS DEFINITELY on its way, and that will occupy me in so many good ways. I'll be able to obsess on my little bonsai wanna-be trees when I'm not out running or biking.

I was able do "do a different activity" as Milly suggested, and went dog-walking and hiking in a local wilderness preserve today. I got to run a little too when one of them took off after something and I had to try and track her down.

Sharon, my HR goes back and forth from 60 to 66 in any given week. I think you might be right about the nutrients. Would a good multivitamin help?
2004-02-28 10:57 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
I love to work out hard and really push myself. From what I've learned in recent weeks I may not be helping myself out at all. I'll see what happens when I slow down my workouts.

2004-02-29 11:22 AM

I agree with and am a strong proponent of doing another activity that we like. Let's remember one of the reasons we do this training. Yes, we want to compete in a tri, but I at least want to maintain health, fitness and a full life of activity. I have been active all my life and training in anything has been simply my way of keeping fit and limber enough to continue all those other things -- backpacking, kayaking, sailing, day hiking, snowshoeing, etc.. It wasn't until last year when I found triathloning that I started training for a "purpose" (you know what I mean). I like to train with that purpose, but I do not lose sight of life in general, and will take time away from my training "plan" or calendar to enjoy some other activity with friends and loved ones. That will usually get me out of a training slump (and recently did just that) fairly quickly. And I'm still using the muscles and cardio strength I've been building on in training.

My thoughts.

Nancy

2004-03-03 7:26 PM

New user
I too feel anxious when I miss a day of training. And I too have been "dragging" lately. So, reading all the posts about rest being part of training makes me think. And I will try to take a day off per week. I used to take sundays off, but now find that sunday mornings are the mornings I am most rested and able to do a long bike or run. So I guess I will have to pick another day. I try to eat right, nothing over the top diet wise, a well balanced meal plan. I would also love to lost a nagging five pounds and sometimes feel like I am bulky. But I know it is all muscle. I guess thats better than nothing. I take many vitamins including a multi, E, calcium, and fish oil, plus a couple to help me through menopause. I am happy with their results. I researched it with a pharmicist. As far as age, I do think we have to realize that as we age we might get slower. We have to be proud that we are "doing" it at all! A proud 51.......Barbara
2004-03-03 10:23 PM

, Alabama

I also feel wierd when I take a day off that wasn't scheduled.  But I've also learned that I'm not as young as I used to be and if my body says stop, I have to listen.  Last week I felt awful right at the beginning of what was supposed to be a long training day but my body went on strike and I had to take 3 days off.  It's kind of hard but you have to learn to let go and ignore what's on the training schedule sometimes.

Sharon

2004-03-04 12:14 AM

Bartlesville Oklahoma
Well, I am back today after a three day total rest. Well, on one day I hiked. Today I felt GREAT!!! My time was better, I felt stronger, and my attitude has been better too. Ok, I think I get it. Rest=rebuild time.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm Overtrained and it Bums Me Out!!! Rss Feed