General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Question: Bike Warm-Up? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-29 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: Race Day Question: Bike Warm-Up?

Just curious to hear what everyone does, on race day, to warm up for the bike.  I've got my first sprint tri coming up in October, with a bike portion of about 9 or 10 miles.  My problem is that I don't usually get really warmed up until I've ridden that far.  I don't want to ride a full 10 miles just to get warmed up, and I was wondering two things:

1. Knowing there will be differing opinions ... In addition to stretching and a short pre-race ride, will the swim help at all at getting warm for the bike, and;

2. Any tips for getting warm before a race without riding 10 miles?

Thanks!

2008-08-30 12:58 AM
in reply to: #1639077

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Race Day Question: Bike Warm-Up?

For sprint races I do a "reverse" warm-up.  I start with an easy run, maybe ten minutes or so, to get loosened up and to get my heart rate up.  Then I hop on the bike for ten to fifteen minutes, spinning at a relatively high cadence.  Drop the bike off in transition and then head down the water to swim.  I'm a slow starter - I joke that by the time I'm warmed up, I'm usually worn out. 

Lately it seems like I'm seeing more FOPers who bring their trainers along and spend a lot of time warming up on their bikes, like you would normally see at a cycling time trial.

Mark

2008-08-30 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1639107

User image

Champion
MA
RedCorvette - 2008-08-30 1:58 AM

For sprint races I do a "reverse" warm-up.  I start with an easy run, maybe ten minutes or so, to get loosened up and to get my heart rate up.  Then I hop on the bike for ten to fifteen minutes, spinning at a relatively high cadence.  Drop the bike off in transition and then head down the water to swim.  I'm a slow starter - I joke that by the time I'm warmed up, I'm usually worn out. 

Lately it seems like I'm seeing more FOPers who bring their trainers along and spend a lot of time warming up on their bikes, like you would normally see at a cycling time trial.

Mark

I do what Mark does but add a couple pick ups in my run and swim.  

I find it a little amusing as I'm mostly warming up with the highly competitive folks which I'm not. It does help my body be ready to go come start time and also keeps me from getting nervous. Only thing I worry about is if I'll be at the start on time as my goal is to get there only about 5 minutes before the race starts. I do the same for Olys too.

2008-08-30 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1639178

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I don't warm up before a tri.  The swim is the warm up, regardless of distance for me.

For a running race or straight up bike race I'll do about 15 minutes easy to warm up then stretch.

2008-08-30 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1639077

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
With the time you have before an Oct sprint race, try some training bricks with swim/bike trials to see how you feel on the bike. Should give you a good idea on how things may workout.

It's probably not the best thing to do, but I never ride my bike the morning of the race. I run it the day before normally and always leave it in the proper gear for starting out of T1 just out of habit. I did see someone do a warm up last year on a bike trainer right next to there car and thought that may be a decent idea, but I'm to lazy to pack the trainer.

I normally use some running with pick ups and stretching then hit the water briefly before the swim with some pick ups and I'm ready to go.

Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Question: Bike Warm-Up? Rss Feed