General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Recommendations for lateral epicondylitis. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-30 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: Any Recommendations for lateral epicondylitis.
I have developed tennis elbow to the l arm due to prolonged cycling, any recommendations in strengthening this region so this does not happen next season?

2008-10-31 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1639318

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
Subject: RE: Any Recommendations for lateral epicondylitis.

9FAITH - 2008-08-30 8:59 AM I have developed tennis elbow to the l arm due to prolonged cycling, any recommendations in strengthening this region so this does not happen next season?

If I'm not mistaken, you should wait until the acute aggravation is over and most/if not all of the inflammation dies down.  NSAIDS, cortisone, rest, ice and stretching may help.  After that, grip and forearm (extensors) strengthening exercises work pretty well.  While you're strengthening, you can try one of those "tennis elbow straps".  It changes the point of focus for the muscles to the area of the strap instead of the epicondyle, giving the injury more time to heal.  Exercises like hanging the wrist over a chair or bench and flexing/extending with weights.  Start out with VERY LIGHT WEIGHTS! 1lb at most, you don't want to re-injure yourself, work up slowly.

2008-11-14 12:14 PM

User image

New user

Toronto
<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} Not sure if it too late to put my 2cents in. If the inflammation is down working on strengthening the forearm and grip strength will help a lot.

2nd thing would be to work on strengthening the core muscles (ie abdominals), upper back (scapular region) and rotator cuffs so to not over compensate but placing too much strain on the injured area. This is mostly advised to tennis players as it prevents them from over compensating for the torque produced in the swinging motion.

Hope that made sense.

2008-11-14 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)
I found that getting the inflamation down and slowly working out to build the muscle and tendons up. is great for that. I use "Hoyt" cream. It is great.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Recommendations for lateral epicondylitis. Rss Feed