General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-02 11:28 AM

Washington DC
Subject: First 70.3

Anyone have a suggestion for my first half iron distance race??  There are so many to choose from...plus, I'm willing to travel. 

2008-09-02 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1643332

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: First 70.3
Wow that's a broad question. You'll get a ba-jillion different answers becuase most people have not experienced every single one out there - they just know what they've done.

The first question I'd ask myself is WHEN do you want to do it? As in, beginning/middle/end of the season. Do you want to do more than one, or at least leave that door open? Do you need, or care to have sprints/olys as practice races before the big one?

Personally, this year I signed up for Ironman Kansas 70.3 for geographical proximity, and becuase it was at the beginning of the season (June 15). It left me room to do another 70.3 distance if I wanted, and I did, so I'm doing the Redman Half in Oklahoma City on Sept. 20 - and was able to do sprints and olys inbetween.

You'll also want to look at the race courses - specifically the bike courses. Some are notoriously hilly, others are just rolling or flat. Depends on your physical ability, willingness to suffer, and willingness to do a course sight-unseen. Personally I like to have the option of riding a course before the event so I know what I'm working with. In both instances (KS and Redman), I've learned invaluable information by riding the actual race course, which couldn't have happened if the geographical location was farther away.
2008-09-02 1:49 PM

Washington DC

I see what you mean about it being an open ended question.  The only course that's somewhat near me is Eagleman which has already sold out for next year.

I am planning on doing multiple races next year, and Timberman is definitely on the list.  So, I'm looking for a relatively early season (may/june) race, ideally more on the rolling and less on the uber hilly (I'm doing Savageman Int'l in a few weeks and that will likely be hills enough for me for a few months!). 

2008-09-04 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
If you want early season, check out the Kinetic Half at Lake Anna. It is not a "70.3" but it is a half iron and is an easy drive for you.

Edited by Nipper 2008-09-04 2:05 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70.3 Rss Feed