General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Life is what happens when you are busy planning Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-14 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: Life is what happens when you are busy planning
Hi everybody... I am new to this (site & tri) but I am not new to sports. I used to be an athlete when I was a teenager (I was in the gymnastic team back in the times). Then I concentrated on partying and having fun in college (I still party a lot, but that is a different story). I was big into aerobics (since I was too old for gymnastics). After college I moved to the States, married my boyfriend of many years and forgot about myself for a good 10 years. 30 pounds heavier and a broken heart later I decided to start running to heal my soul and make sense of my life (what else can you do after waking up at 5:30 am every day?).
The paradox is that I hated running! pushing my body to the limit was the only thing that could keep my mind busy and make sense of the chaos in my life. 25 pounds less and 4 years later I am feeling better than ever! Time flies when you are having fun!!!!!!!!!! I've traveled many places, learned to water sky in Greece, and I went canopy tree in Costa Rica. After 6 months of training (and 2 hurricanes) I finished my first marathon in January! I finally figured life is too short not to have fun... What next? I really don't know but I had the post marathon blues and decided to train for a triatlhon until I am ready for my second marathon. I was always amazed to watch "normal" people finishing the IronMan. I still think it is crazy (not on my immediate goals) but for some reason the dream seems a little closer now... Since most of my buddies are a bunch of party people and my marathon buddy is a CPA, I found myself in need of a partner. Hey, I'll settle for a virtual partner.
This site is helping me to get a lot of information about the sport. Thanks for the support!

2005-02-14 2:06 PM
in reply to: #116959

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Life is what happens when you are busy planning
Cool!  Good for you in taking care of yourself now!  Good luck in your training and racing!
2005-02-14 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Welcome to a great site, great turnaround on your life, your on your way to that IM and I am sure you'll find plenty of virtual training partners here!
2005-02-14 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

great job on taking your body back...you've come a long way.

welcome!

2005-02-14 5:09 PM

User image

Madrid
Hi,

I'm also a newbie and, although I have been running since I was 14, neither I've swum nor ridden... well, only MTB, but I admire people like you that, after having been without doing anything for years, finally decide to enjoy training and have fun with it.

Welcome on board! We all are in the same boat!!! ;-)
2005-02-14 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Where are you from originally?

Happy Training!
Peace.

2005-02-14 5:26 PM
in reply to: #117143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Venezuela. Moved to the US 12 yrs ago.
2005-02-16 4:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Welcome and all the very best of luck!
Sounds like you have come a long way and learnt a lot - I would love to hear about your marathon stories. I ran a 10km race on the weekend and could not even imagine doing it 4 times over! I wonder how I am ever going to get there (it is one of my goals - to complete a Marathon in my lifetime.)

Take care, happy training and welcome to the best addiction there is! Triathlon!
2005-02-16 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Hi!
Welcome to the site and enjoy your training!
Félix
2005-02-16 1:10 PM
in reply to: #117911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!
How do we get there? One mile at the time
If I ran a marathon, anyone can! I think the training is harder than the marathon itself. You have to run 250+ miles to run just 26.
As a beginner I learned couple things:
1.- Do not take yourself too seriously. Just crossing the finish line is a big accomplishment (Yes, I still have people asking me if I won LOL). I decided to walk the last 2 miles of the marathon, enjoyed the view, the people. A good friend of mine was obsessed with the training and injured his knees. Neddless to say, no finish line for him.
2.- Pick the best marathon for a beginner. Uphills or boring courses make harder to finish a marathon. I picked Disney, It was the best thing I could've done.
3.- Fuel, fuel, fuel. Part of the training is learning about your body and how to refuel during the race. Learn about gels, water, etc. Yes, you can make the mistake of drinking too much water.
And... very important.......
4.- Smile for the camera! Nowadays you don't have to be a pro to have your picture taken at a sport event! There are photographers everywhere!. Wave hi for the camera, smile and you will get a nice picture to frame along with your medal!
2005-02-16 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Congratulations on turning your life around... and welcome to BT!!! This is a great site, and you're going to love the comraderie, and excellent information available.

I'm in Miami (hija de cubanos), where in SoFla are you?

2005-02-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: #118097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Miami! I am a little north of Boca Raton....
2005-02-16 2:33 PM
in reply to: #117921

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Caracas! My hometown!!!!!! Donde en Caracas? I used to live in Los Palos Grandes!
2005-02-16 2:39 PM
in reply to: #118148

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
clflgrl - 2005-02-16 3:33 PM Caracas! My hometown!!!!!! Donde en Caracas? I used to live in Los Palos Grandes!
En La Trinidad, chama The background in my avatar is la Cota Mil.
12 years ago, I was returning after spending a few years in South Florida! 
Félix

Edited by dragoman 2005-02-16 2:42 PM
2005-02-16 2:43 PM

User image

New user

I'm brand new to this site today. I was sent here by a triathlete friend of mine when I told him it was time to get my body and mind and heart into kickass shape.

I used to be an LD runner, but some knee injuries and severe asthma sidelined me for years. I have always been a swimmer, though, and feel like the water is my second home.
Biking should be more of a challenge, but I'm SO up for it.

I don't know much about tris at all, and don't have anyone else close by in my life headed in this direction, so I'm going it alone. But as with all things, the journey is inside me anyhow. Only I can get me where I want to go!

I hope to be encouraged by all your stories and advice in months to come as I read through the forums. Happiness to all!

Edited by trimeggy 2005-02-16 3:00 PM
2005-02-16 3:37 PM
in reply to: #118157

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Welcome to BT. I know I have found lots of encouragement here, both from the stories and just from the friends I have made here that post in inspirations, and keep me honest about my training. Biking is one of the easiest parts of the tri, you can do it. Then I come more from a biking background. Lol

Dirk

2005-02-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: #118157

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
I find fascinating how everyone has a weakness. I am an OK runner and swimmer. Sloooooow but I have endurance. Bike! Gosh, that is my biggest challenge! I do not like to bike! I am afraid I'll be run by a car (hey, I live in Florida, it happens all the time especially during snow bird season LOL). Then, all that equipment! Do I have to learn all that stuff? Seriously? LOL
Fortunately it seems that marketing is on our side and manufacturers understood that girls are different than boys and yes, we need bikes and stuff designed for chicks! Ohhh those cool pink helmets
Soooo I have to face my fears... At least I get to wear the pink helmet! LOL
The beauty of the Internet is that no matter how lonely you feel, you are not alone
You will heal..... Mind, body, and soul come in one package.
I always joke when people ask me how I healed my heart after my breakup,
I say....
After one year of therapy, yoga classes, meditation, AND 600 miles later... I feel better than ever
2005-02-16 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
North of Boca Raton... that's not that far!!! Good job on getting your life back on track!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Life is what happens when you are busy planning Rss Feed