General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DQ End of Season Sprint at Island Beach 10/12 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-08 3:43 PM

Subject: DQ End of Season Sprint at Island Beach 10/12

I'm making this my first ever tri and haven't seen it mentioned here yet.  Wondering if anyone else is goign to be there?  A little concerned about how cold it might be , but I've also always been a fan of Island Beach so figured that was a good place to start.  I was also sold on the traffic free course for my 1st.

http://www.dqtridu.com/islandBeach.htm

2008-09-08 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1659026

User image

Subject: RE: DQ End of Season Sprint at Island Beach 10/12

the water will likely be ok in October - unless there is windy conditions or storm or something - and if you have a wetsuit - you can wear it.  Better than in May when it's in the 50s!  The swim is a short one too so you'll be out of the water pretty quickly.

i might play it by ear as it gets closer since i am pretty raced up between now and then.  they are advertising same day for an extra $10 - i might go that route personally.  but it looks like a nice first.  if you havent already - try to get a little ocean swimming in before the race day.

bob

2008-09-09 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
looks like a great race, i do most of my training there as it is. i have other obligations that day. i would love to have done this one
2008-09-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1660573

User image

New user
Ill be there but I'm doing the DU. I'm not comfortable enough with my swimming to do my first tri this year, but this will be my first race on the P2. You may also want to check out the jersey shore tir club, they should have a few people racing that day.  
2008-09-09 10:53 AM

User image

New Egypt, NJ

I'll be doing the duathlon.  This will be my first multi-sport race.  Looks like a good course for a first-timer.

2008-09-09 3:47 PM

User image

Medford, NJ
The water temp will be a wild card that time of the year. The RD's are pretty nice guys, so if you ask to switch from the tri to the du the week of the race they should be able to help you out.

If you do the tri, definitely plan on a wet suit and do some ocean swimming before the race.

2008-09-09 8:14 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I figure the water will probably be pretty close to 60 and picked up a wetsuit for the swim.  That's definately the part I'm not prepared for yet.

I planned on starting my ocean swims last weekend but the storm kept me away.  I think I could probably muscle through the distance now but would really like to learn some very basic technique so I can get through it a lot easier.  Pretty much just need to get the breathing down so I can keep my head down and not plow through the water.

For now I'm just going to ride my MTB w/ slicks (so very jealous of the P2).  And should be okay for the run since all this started by picking up a nike+ at the begining of the summer. 

I saw the jersey shore tri club, was a little discouraged that they didn't at least allow guests to read the forums.  Didn't want to just sign up blind without knowing anyone on there.

2008-09-09 8:28 PM

User image

hey - i am in jstriclub - they have been very supportive of my rookie year - i have attended several open water swims with them, this year.  The membership is something ridiculous like $20 and you get a lot for that!    send a note into the club and see if you can get in on some of the swims right away.  they want you to be a member to join the clinics and i think if i recall - they have you sign a waiver.  but if you let them know you are relatively a new ocean swimmer - they will usually have one of their more experienced swimmers partner you.  their swims are week to week now since they have to decide based upon storm conditions, etc., if they are keeping their swims.

but you get a lot for the meager membership and if you live nearby (i dont) you can also take advantage of weekly track workouts, regularly scheduled bricks, group bikes, etc.

and the forum provides online coaching by some of the state's top triathletes.

cant say enough about the benefits of membership.

bob

Edited by bobwitanek 2008-09-09 8:28 PM
2008-09-10 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1662756

User image

New user
Asphalt - 2008-09-09 9:14 PM

I saw the jersey shore tri club, was a little discouraged that they didn't at least allow guests to read the forums.  Didn't want to just sign up blind without knowing anyone on there.

My experience has been that most clubs don't allow you to read the forums if you don't sign up. A why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free, but as bob said, membership is $20 I signed up 2 weeks ago and met several people, its a great group. I recommend going to the open water swims so you have someone to swim with and look out for you.  

I would also recommend picking up a book called "total imersion" should be at most book stores in the sports section. I taught myself how to swim from that book then took a few lessons to improve on it. 

Bob W- are you anywhere near cranford? 

2008-09-10 5:00 PM

User image

Did the Fall Classic 4 Mile race on Labor Day in Cranford - but I am about 45 plus minutes away - MontgomeryTwp - just north of Princeton.  - bob
2008-09-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1663420

Thanks, I went ahead and registered for the js tri club.  My biggest concern was that it might turn out to be a small group not looking for outsiders.  Seems like I'm really close to their stomping grounds since I'm usually doing my weekend runs at Manasquan Resovoir anyway.

Now I just ahve to get out to the beach and swim.

2008-09-11 2:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bad news, as a member of Jersey Shore Tri, the organized swims are over as of today! Once you get access, check the forum for anyone swimming....
2008-09-11 4:59 PM

User image

there's a manasquan river swim tomorrow - 6pm River Avenue beach in Point Pleasant - looks like the swims are moving to the river somewhat.  i am certain there will be fairly regular swims . . . even with the formal group swims closing for the season.

2008-09-14 8:31 PM

User image

Expert

For the water temperature for this race, expect it to be around 67-72, depending on what happens with the currents out in the ocean (the ocean was colder longer than usual into July due to some shift in the currents out in the ocean, bringing colder water to the Shore).  If anything, expect that the water temperature may be higher than the air temperature, especially early in the morning. 

I've gone swimming without a wetsuit in the ocean through Columbus Day, and water temperature was fine.  Water temperature will be warmer for this race than the water temperature is through about July 4th weekend or so (It's always fun to watch the tourists run into the ocean in June and run right out Laughing ).

Your biggest concern for the swim should be the chance of some tropical storm/hurricane/nor'easter anywhere on the East Coast from FL to say MA.  A storm can be a thousand miles away and the waves and rip currents can be too dangerous to swim in.   But given one of the people involved in this race, they will not send you out if it's too rough.

2008-09-30 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1662800

Hi Bob,

You seem to know alot about triathlons.  Is this the first time for the Island Beach triathlon or did they have it last year.  If so did you do  it last year or do you know anyone who has done it.  I don't have a wet suit and cannot afford one.  Also I was wondering the level of people doing this triathlon.  I  have done 3 Danskin Sprint triathlons and always finished excellent in the swimming, 40th out of 1, 515 women this year, but am not so good at the other two events finishing alot slower in those.  I don't want to be the last person in.  Is this a good event for someone like myself who is not so good at the biking or running portion.  The biking is okay but the running is horrible since I have flat feet and am over weight. 

2008-09-30 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
I signed up for this tri today.  It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

2008-10-01 9:15 PM

I am racing and i also just joinedd the jersey shore tri club to help with next year so hope to meet some people i must likely be the only person covered with tattoos. Since i have been the other two races i have done. Be safe and hope it will be fun.
2008-10-02 6:12 AM

User image

Veteran

It is super flat for the bike and the run.  It should be a great event, especially that you have 3 under your belt already.  I believe it is the first time they are holding it, if not, it has slipped under my radar

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DQ End of Season Sprint at Island Beach 10/12 Rss Feed