Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Stanley Park... errr Stanley Strip Mall Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-08 11:46 PM

Vancouver, BC
Subject: Stanley Park... errr Stanley Strip Mall
Up at prospect point, they've basically turned it into a giant parking lot. What a bunch of idiots in charge. They couldn't do something cool like a parking lot integrated with trees, or a more natural parking area instead of asphalt. I guess we all know why they needed all that restoration money, so they could pave over the trees.

2008-09-09 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1660369

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Stanley Park... errr Stanley Strip Mall

I'm not sure if it is quite finished. They seem to be changing it weekly.

The design has some pros and cons. Like you, I don't really like the look of it and I really don't think we need more cars in Stanley Park. I say, take away all of the parking lots. However, the old road kind of sucked too and this does seem to eliminate cars backing out of a parking spot and into you as you are going down a steep hill.

2008-09-09 5:17 PM
in reply to: #1660369

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
Subject: RE: Stanley Park... errr Stanley Strip Mall
I agree that it's not pretty, but the old layout was disorganized and in hindsight downright scary.  I used to go flying through there at ludicrous speed in my car as a teenager...  Can't imagine that's changed.  Teenagers are still invulnerable.  It's also a prime high traffic spot for tourists.  Like it or not, Stanley Park is one of Vancouver's major landmarks.  It's a must in almost every guidebook.  The old layout was a confusing eyesore.  At least it's organized now.  Hopefully it gets beautified.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Stanley Park... errr Stanley Strip Mall Rss Feed