General Discussion Triathlon Talk » transition bags and special needs bags Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-02 12:15 PM

Regular
Ontario
Subject: transition bags and special needs bags

Okay, my turn to ask a relatively straight forward question.

I am seeking clarity on transition bags and special needs bags.

I understand that the transition bag basically holds your kit for each event
Is there anything special about transition bags?
I know you can purchase specifically designed bags and that some races have you put your bad into a plastic bag so that they can mark your number on it?
Can I use just my normal backpack?
Any advice on what to put in it?

As for “special needs bags”
If understand correctly these are bags that are available mid bike, that contain food and extra clothing?
Can anyone elaborate?

2004-03-02 7:46 PM
in reply to: #10113

, Alabama
Subject: RE: transition bags and special needs bags

I have only been in two races involving bags, one IM that had both transition and special needs bags, and one worlds that just used transition bags.  They supplied the bags which had my race number on them. They were all on hooks in a long row, so the uniformity of bag type may be important.  What you put inside that bag is your business (i.e. backpack, etc.).  In my ironman I had in my bike transition bag  my helmet, sunglasses, extra sunscreen, vaseline to apply, camelback, anything else I needed just for the bike).  My bike special needs bag had extra water bottles and food for the halfway point (I never ran out, but anything can happen).  The run transition bag had shoes, another pair of socks, my bottle holder with water bottle and power gel flask, shorts etc.  My run special needs had an extra pair of socks and shoes (glad I had them) and more power gel and a shirt (for those of us still running after the sun went down, it's very important).  Everyone has their things they like to have.  Just be careful not to overfill the bag, it could rip while on the hook and with everyone just grabbing at the bags your stuff could end up anywhere.  Good luck!

Sharon

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » transition bags and special needs bags Rss Feed