General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada: Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2009-07-31 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2319749

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada: Official Thread
KathyG - 2009-07-31 12:15 PM Here's another  question.....What is normal weather like? Highs? lows? What might the extremes be? Is it normally not very humid? It rained last year during run, is rain likely?

I was going to post the same question as it pertains to clothing.  I am training in Dallas, Texas.  Most of my training this late June and all of July have been in Temps of no less than 97 Degrees.  Last Friday I did an 80 mile bike.  It was 104 degrees at the start and 100 degrees at the finish.  The finish was at 8:30 in the evening. 

So, do I bring clothes for heat and cold?  I've tried looking up photos of the race, but have not had much success.  The IMC website does not have any.

So, Long Sleeves or Tri-Tank on the bike.  Same with the Run? ? ?

Any thoughts on that? ? ?

Oh Yeah. . .   I thought of bringing both wetsuits (with and without sleeves) just in case the lake turns over, and it gets real cold.   Thoughts on Wetsuits? ? ?

2009-07-31 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1691946

User image

Champion
MA
The other issue I'm struggling with besides weather is we don't get our sn bags back so what I put in there I need to be okay with losing. I will put an old long sleeve top in my run one as I will finish when it's dark and it may get cold.

I have old vests that I may bring too as they are to big, and I'm okay with losing them.

Arm warmers are good for both, but I hate losing them...been looking for cheap ones as I lost one at IMLP last year, but haven't found any cheap ones.

Edited by KathyG 2009-07-31 7:20 PM
2009-07-31 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

For arm warmer - TUBE SOCKS...saw that once in a ride...CHEAP and you don't care about losing them.   go to a goodwill or thrift shop for even cheaper.  That might be a good place to grab stuff you don't care about losing.

Did everyone get the race announcer email?!?!?  Makes it way more real huh.

Happy 'peaking week' everyone.....

2009-07-31 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA
My peak I think was last week..not sure what next week holds for me.

My mom will be having open heart surgery most likely within 2 weeks in Minnesota. Due to her age, other medical stuff, previous bypass surgery this is is more risky. I plan to go out and will be there for some amount of time. It may mean I can't do the race...family comes first. It means I need to get ready to go to Canada soon as I may be in Minnesota for longer than I hope and our tickets to leave MA are on the 22nd.

This week has really sucked and I suspect next 2-3 aren't going to be much better.

2009-08-01 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2320623

Master
portland, or
shamgar7 - 2009-07-31 3:42 PM

KathyG - 2009-07-31 12:15 PM Here's another  question.....What is normal weather like? Highs? lows? What might the extremes be? Is it normally not very humid? It rained last year during run, is rain likely?

I was going to post the same question as it pertains to clothing.  I am training in Dallas, Texas.  Most of my training this late June and all of July have been in Temps of no less than 97 Degrees.  Last Friday I did an 80 mile bike.  It was 104 degrees at the start and 100 degrees at the finish.  The finish was at 8:30 in the evening. 

So, do I bring clothes for heat and cold?  I've tried looking up photos of the race, but have not had much success.  The IMC website does not have any.

So, Long Sleeves or Tri-Tank on the bike.  Same with the Run? ? ?

Any thoughts on that? ? ?

Oh Yeah. . .   I thought of bringing both wetsuits (with and without sleeves) just in case the lake turns over, and it gets real cold.   Thoughts on Wetsuits? ? ?

The two timesI've done the race I've worn a standard tri top and shorts for the entire race. Full sleeve wetsuit.

As a precaution I"ll bring a light racing rain jacket, arm warmers, and an old long-sleeve tech shirt to put in SN.

The best advice I can give regarding the weather is to expect it to be warm and dry, but be prepared for cool and damp. We're having a very hot and dry summer in the Pac NW this year.

I did the race the year the forest fires were bad. Heavy smoke throughout the valley and we rode past smoldering fires. Eerie watching the helicopters come in and scoop water while we were racing. That was a tough year for anyone with asthma.

scott
2009-08-01 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Kathy, your right. Family comes first. Hope everything goes well. Just try and keep moving. Your training has been so good it will carry you through!

2009-08-01 3:47 PM

User image

Victoria
First time posting on this thread, I am doing the race as well for the 3rd time in the past 4 years, it is usually hot and dry for weather.
I hope everyone is doing well in their training and are looking forward to tapering soon :-)

2009-08-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2319621

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

yaqui - 2009-07-31 11:24 AM
jamesG - 2009-07-31 7:12 AM

Hey Yaqui, have you done Wisconsin or Placid before? If so how do teh runs and bikes compare to those course? From what I have heard Canada easier bike but tougher run.

Thxs for your comments very helpful!!

I did Lake Placid last year. I would say Lake Placid is a harder bike course. I went 5:38 at LP, and I would guess that effort would have been good for 5:30 or slightly less at Canada. None of the hills on the run at Canada are as long as the hills at LP, but there are more of them. Most of them are in the middle 5-6 miles of the course. We're also likely to see a headwind over the last half of the run course. In general, times are a little faster at Canada then LP. I've not done Wisconsin, but have many friends that have done both. One of the challenges of Wisconsin as I understand it is that you often descend form a hill into a sharp turn, so it's hard to use your momentum to it's fullest. Making Wisconsin a more technical course. In terms of course aeshetics, it's hard to beat Lake Placid, but the Okanagan Valley is very nice. I think the local residents of Penticton are more supportive then what I experienced at Lake Placid. This will be my third time racing there and I've been twice as a spectator. scott

Thxs awesome, Wisconsin in my opinion is a tougher bike course than Placid. I am about 5-10mins faster on Placid than Wisconsin. Placid run is harder than Wisconsin though.

Good info and good luck for race day!

Edited by jamesG 2009-08-03 3:42 PM
2009-08-05 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
Folks - so for motivation I was watching Kona on DVR and had a couple questions about transition. Do we keep all of our stuff at transition, or how will it work with the bag system? One bag for T1 and one for T2? Any information about transition would be very helpful.
2009-08-05 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran

Prepare for every kind of weather.  It reached 104F on the bike course ('94) and it was sleeting at Yellow Lake ('97).  It has been crazy windy other years, like add 30+ minutes to your bike split windy.  That variability is what you get with a mountain setting.

2009-08-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2329593

User image

Victoria
For transition you have a bag for T1 and a bag for T2, they go into transition in the morning in 2 separate areas, you pack them separately and pick them up after the swim and bike, volunteers are usually quite helpful in directing you to your bags, I have even had them pass me my bag as I came in off the bike.

You also get 2 bags for special needs, one for the bike and one for the run.
I have dropped my bags off in the morning on both times I have done IMC.

Bill

2009-08-05 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2329827

Master
portland, or
Just adding to what Bill said. You'll drop off your T1 and T2 bags the day before when you drop off your bikes. Race morning you'll drop off your SN bags before going into transition. Race volunteers will transport them to the SN areas which are at the turnaround on the out-and-back of the bike, and the turnaround in OK Falls on the run.

Race morning you'll have access to your bike, T1 and T2 bags to add anything and pump up your tires.

scott
2009-08-07 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA
How is cell phone reception up in Penticton? It was pretty bad in Lake Placid.

For those of you who have cell phones from US did you alter you plan to some type of International plan to avoid high extra charges?

What about health insurance? I think I need to call to see if we are covered or not.

On a positive note the last two passports came for our youngest two daughters. Our 10 year Libby is so excited for the trip and was happy to get her passport as we've been teasing her she couldn't come without it. We are planning on flying to Seattle on her 11th birthday.

Big training weekend for me 85 mile ride Saturday and 16 mile run Sunday. How about you guys?
2009-08-07 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lenexa, KS
Last big training week this week. Looking forward to heading to Penticton, though I am questioning my decision to drive from Winnipeg to Penticton (about 22 hours it looks like). It will be a fun trip though.

100 mile ride on Sunday / 4000 m swim Saturday / 22 mile run Saturday. Taper time after that !

2009-08-07 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2335327

User image

Champion
MA
O2BFast - 2009-08-07 10:23 PM Last big training week this week. Looking forward to heading to Penticton, though I am questioning my decision to drive from Winnipeg to Penticton (about 22 hours it looks like). It will be a fun trip though. 100 mile ride on Sunday / 4000 m swim Saturday / 22 mile run Saturday. Taper time after that !

Sounds like a greaet weekend.

I wouldn't worry to much the drive to Penticton but the drive home might be a wee bit painful...lots of stopping and walking around.

On way home from Lake Placid, lots of other IM folks on same roads heading back to Boston area..at the rest areas, there were always a few us walking carefully around. I found it rather amusing.
2009-08-07 11:01 PM

User image

Victoria
Last big weekend for me as well, will swim 2500M in morning and then ride 180k on Saturday, longish run on Sunday of 20k and then into tapering, looking forward to getting it done as I feel ready, just wish the weather would warm up a bit here in Victoria B.C.

2009-08-08 4:24 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Looking forward to taper time as well.  I work this weekend but will get my last two big volume days in later next week then start my two week taper.  Planning on a 112 mile ride and 20 mile run for the last big days. 

2009-08-08 4:28 AM
in reply to: #2335237

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

KathyG - 2009-08-07 5:24 PM How is cell phone reception up in Penticton? It was pretty bad in Lake Placid.

For those of you who have cell phones from US did you alter you plan to some type of International plan to avoid high extra charges?

What about health insurance? I think I need to call to see if we are covered or not.

Big training weekend for me 85 mile ride Saturday and 16 mile run Sunday. How about you guys?

I've used my cell phone in Penticton before without any problems at all (Verizon).  Service is good. 

It's a good idea to check with your health insurance provider to see if you're covered in Canada.  If you're not and something happens, you'll be provided with immediate life saving care should it be needed (heaven forbid!), otherwise for anything less than an immediate life threat, you'll be required to pay cash up front.  At least this has been the experience of numerous friends and relatives of mine who have needed medical care in BC. 

Good luck to everyone on the last big push.  Enjoy the taper!!

2009-08-08 8:33 AM

Good luck to all on IMC day and enjoy the taper...I can't wait to ease up on the miles
Have a safe Ironman in Penticton this year!!
2009-08-09 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
For the folks driving in from Vancouver.... What route will you take? How long is the drive really?
2009-08-09 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Oh No! ! !  3 Weeks left.  It is starting to feel real now.  I just got an email  from Tri Bike Transport with instructions for turning in my bike at my LBS. 

I did my long ride yesterday.  113.2 miles.  I wish I could have put in more miles, but when I got close to my truck I was like a barn soured horse.  I aimed for my truck, and that's where I stopped. 

As far as the route from Vancouver to Penticton.  I asked a similar question, and the answer is on Page 8, but here is the exerpt.  I am staying at the Marriott in Kelowna, but this should help some:

If you are coming from the Vancouver Airport, it will take approximately 5 - 5.5 hours depending on traffic getting out of Vancouver.  You can take the Coquihalla Highway, which I believe does not charge a toll anymore, and is a great short cut that spits you out not too far north of Penticton. Kelowna is about equidistant (but north instead of south) from where the road spits you out.

Kathy. . .   How's your Mom?   Will you be able to make it to the race?  Sure hope everything is well with her. . .

2009-08-10 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2337684

User image

Champion
MA
shamgar7 - 2009-08-09 11:16 PM Oh No! ! !  3 Weeks left.  It is starting to feel real now.  I just got an email  from Tri Bike Transport with instructions for turning in my bike at my LBS. 

I did my long ride yesterday.  113.2 miles.  I wish I could have put in more miles, but when I got close to my truck I was like a barn soured horse.  I aimed for my truck, and that's where I stopped. 

Kathy. . .   How's your Mom?   Will you be able to make it to the race?  Sure hope everything is well with her. . .

I agree when I have in my mind I'm doing xxx miles that is where I stop.

My mom's surgery is this Friday. I leave tomorrow for Minnesota and I have a ticket to fly home Saturday (not very likely I'll use) and another one for Monday as I want to make sure she is over the critical stage. It is still play it by ear. I've been gathering all my stuff for IM so in case I stay longer my husband can pack it. Our tickets leaving MA are the 22nd.

I won't know if I'm doing the race probably for another week. I'm currently acting as if I am.

Not tapering yet..have a big run week for me as I will be without my bike.

2009-08-10 7:46 AM

If you are looking for a more scenic route from vancouver to penticton HWY 3 (Hope-Princeton Route) is worth it. Not much difference in time when your going to penticton. You can see the slide just outside of Hope that buried a river and went half way up the other side of the mountain, there is also Manning Park (there is a visitor center for info. You can drive to the top of a mountain and see some awesome alpine vegitation and have a spectacular view out towards the states). Although if you just want a straight four lane highway then take the Coq. If your not comfortable driving through the mountains Hope Princeton is a windy drive but worth it with the views and the water falls etc.
2009-08-10 11:33 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
My final 2 months of training have been sabotaged by hamstring problems since early July. This was when I had intended to push the distances up and that hasn't happened. It's starting to come around now and I'm hoping to be fit enough to start the event, but I may be walking a lot to finish. Since the volume hasn't been there, a two week taper should be plenty and provides one last week to go a little longer. I'm still looking forward to it though, but any time goals have been discarded.

Has anyone thought about organizing some kind of BT meet? A morning swim, or maybe get together for a coffee or juice at some restaurant. I should be getting into Penticton Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.
2009-08-10 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2338695

User image

Champion
MA
Micawber - 2009-08-10 12:33 PM My final 2 months of training have been sabotaged by hamstring problems since early July. This was when I had intended to push the distances up and that hasn't happened. It's starting to come around now and I'm hoping to be fit enough to start the event, but I may be walking a lot to finish. Since the volume hasn't been there, a two week taper should be plenty and provides one last week to go a little longer. I'm still looking forward to it though, but any time goals have been discarded.

Has anyone thought about organizing some kind of BT meet? A morning swim, or maybe get together for a coffee or juice at some restaurant. I should be getting into Penticton Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

Hope your hamstrings continue to improve.

I was wondering the same about BT meet ups. I know at Lake Placid we had a standing swim meet up time daily so folks could come if they wanted and swim either before or after wards or not at all.

Other thing some IM groups have done is collect names, maybe where folks are staying and cell phone numbers and do a little spreadsheet to email out to everyone. I think it would be super idea and normally I'd volunteer but with what's going on with my Mom I can't commit to it.

We are getting there Monday and will have plenty of time. I'd be up for meet up for coffee or juice. I might even be able talk my husband Kevin into inviting folks over to our place maybe Thursday for a bbq or something like that. We are renting a big place on a 10 acre orchard. It is easier to visit with folks when we have more freedom to move around.

Edited by KathyG 2009-08-10 11:46 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada: Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12