General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Richardson Bike shop - sales person? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-24 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Richardson Bike shop - sales person?

Do you have a favorite bike sales guy/gal at RBS?  Or at Plano Cycles?

Think I'm on my way to buy a bike!

Thanks

2008-09-24 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1693870

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: RE: Richardson Bike shop - sales person?
jashac - 2008-09-24 2:50 PM

Thanks

Plano cycling....Alver

I've had more less than wonderful experiences at RBM.  Its a cool store to check out, but I've never been impressed with their selection or sales staff.  If you like Cervelo, they'll have 45 of them to every 1 or 2 of any other bike.  Yes, I'm exaggerating a little, but just a little

2008-09-24 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1694079

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Thanks Glenn.  Good info.
2008-09-24 8:07 PM

User image

The people at RBM sometimes have a holier than thou attitude, and don't really seem very eager to help out. The people at Plano Cycling have always been very patient, knowledgeable, and non-pushy. Not sure if he's still there, but a guy named Patrick has helped me out in the past, with wonderful results.
2008-09-24 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1694079

User image

Champion
Butler
Doughboy - 2008-09-24 3:58 PM
jashac - 2008-09-24 2:50 PM

Thanks

Plano cycling....Alver

I've had more less than wonderful experiences at RBM.  Its a cool store to check out, but I've never been impressed with their selection or sales staff.  If you like Cervelo, they'll have 45 of them to every 1 or 2 of any other bike.  Yes, I'm exaggerating a little, but just a little

I rode with Alver in the spring with Tommy (zia_cyclist) and he was very friendly.  Sure he could help you out.
2008-09-24 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1694553

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
dr.burrito - 2008-09-24 8:07 PM

The people at RBM sometimes have a holier than thou attitude, and don't really seem very eager to help out. The people at Plano Cycling have always been very patient, knowledgeable, and non-pushy. Not sure if he's still there, but a guy named Patrick has helped me out in the past, with wonderful results.

I am starting to get this vibe from the RBM people too lately. I might have to check out Plano Cycling more...

2008-09-24 10:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-25 5:58 AM

Master
Frisco, Texas

I second Alver at Plano.  He is the most knowledgable bike guy I know.  And he'll be very straight forward with you.  He'll tell you your making a mistake buying that bike because of ......  He's definitely all about making sure you have the right equipment than just selling you more stuff.

2008-09-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1694553

Champion
Dallas, TX
dr.burrito - 2008-09-24 8:07 PM

Hey now. No they don't. I know a few good people who work there. My friend Glen from HS (who use to work at Plano Cycling, but moved to RBM) is a great guy who is down to earth.

AND I had the opposite experience with Alver. He came off as a pompous a-hole to me. I didn't find him to be nice or helpful. After he fit me on my bike (which I paid for! The fit, not the bike) I had knee pain. I went back in to discuss the fit with him and he just shrugged me off and said he wasn't sure, and walked off. Didn't even offer to look at the fit... nothing. Thanks man. Glad I came here to pay for a fit on my bike.

Oddly, Alver is the only person I have found to be rude and stuck up at Plano Cycling... and he's the one person you guys are referring him to.

Everyone else there has been helpful and nice.

Edited by KSH 2008-09-25 9:22 AM
2008-09-25 9:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Plano,TX
I second what KSH says. Not sure of names of people at the shops but when I was shopping for my bike last year I had much better luck at RBM than Plano cycling. Plano cycling spent little time adjusting bikes and trying to find a decent fit on the bikes I was test riding and interested in.

RBM spent much more time with multiple bikes and sizes getting them setup pretty well for me even before we went out for test rides. They were also very willing when I came back in several times for more adjustments and test rides before I even bought anything. This wasn't a full-on fit one would pay for, but it was definitely more than Plano cycling was doing. I actually haven't gotten a proper fit per se because I have been more than comfortable with all the effort RBM put in initially I haven't felt the need for one.

Any shop can be hit or miss with service depending on who you work with I guess. I do recommend trying to go during the week though as they are likely to be less busy and will spend more time with you. I know RBM is open on Sundays and are generally less busy then than on Saturdays. Plano cycling is only open on Saturdays though. I also recommend going ahead to both places and pick which one you are happiest with, they are only about 10 minute drive apart.
2008-09-25 9:42 AM

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Ask two triathletes a question, get three answers!

Moral of the story here: check them both out and go with the one you like best.

2008-09-25 3:18 PM

Veteran
I got ignored a few times at RBM and will only go back there out of convenience to me on small items needed.  Was treated very well by Craig at Plano Cycle and also had great experience dealing with Alver.  
2008-09-26 11:10 AM

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Thank you all.

I went to both shops yesterday.  I had a GREAT experience with Sean (sp?) at Plano.  He did what I believe is a full fit on the first bike I tried (Kouta).  He is a bicyclist with many years of experience, and took his time and got it right.   He was very willing to share his experience and thoughts, but was careful not to tell me what he thought of the bikes, till I had tried all three he recommended.  While I was out on the first bike he set up the second, and was waiting with it when I came back with the first.  He did the same with the third bike.  It was really an awesome experience and Sean was very, very helpful.  I spent about three hours with him.

I was kind of late getting to RBM (5 pm on a Thursday)  they weren't busy, but did not have a Cervelo (which I really wanted to try) in my size.  The sales guy looked in the computer and found one in their Frisco store - called over there to make sure they had it, and sent me over with good directions.  There was some problem rounding up a pair of peddles, but they finally found some.

I worked with Chuck at the Frisco store, and I have to say I was unimpressed, and do not feel like he set it up right.  I liked the feel of the bike, but would like to have some more adjusting done.  Unfortunately, by that point I was running out of time and had to head back to the airport.  After setting the seat height, and having me spin some on the trainer, Chuck got his measuring device out and (very quickly) checked the hip and sholder angles and said, "they're within nominal, This is your bike."   It sounded more like a sales job to me than an appraisal.  He made no offer to try another bike.  I would like to have tried the QR, but like I said I ran out of time.

2008-09-26 2:07 PM

Veteran
Glad to hear you had a similar experience at Plano Cycle.  Jarring my memory, I might have dealt with Sean too, at least my experience was very similar there.  Being in sales and sales training myself, I really felt they earned my business there.  Hopefully they can get the bike that you want.  I just had my first included tune up with them and was impressed with their customer service and all around friendliness of the shop.  Met a couple of the other employees there today and was equally impressed.  I just wish they would pick up their store and move it closer to me..ha
2008-09-29 8:59 PM

Expert

The thing with many of the people at RMB main store is that they are racers, they are wickedly fast, and they know it.  It's not that they think they are better than you, it's just that they have reached the top of the racers and they are proud of it.  So, it comes off that way.

The Dallas store is different (IMHO).  My favorite sales guy is Wes.  I buy everything from Wes now.  But Joe (the store manager) and Jenny are also super nice.  I bought my Cervelo from Joe and he is fantastic (and the most advanced/fastest rider I know).  The other ones are nice too, but I don't know their names.  It's a long drive, but to me it's worth it, and it's not that far from my office.

2008-10-03 2:27 PM

New user

LOVE Plano Cycle.

I'm a newbie, walk in with stupid questions and still manage to get wonderful help! Went in today and asked for help fixing my tire and please look over bike for my tri this weekend, and they checked EVERYTHING! (for free)

Walked into RBM a few times and never been offered help. In fact, now that I'm remembering, I went in and bought some "sale items" and when I got to the counter, I was told they were not sale items - and the guys were rude and unapologetic about it. It's like walking into Gucci wearing Gap. How do they know I'm not Lance's riding buddy???

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Richardson Bike shop - sales person? Rss Feed