General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Loss of strength in hand while biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-28 8:42 PM

Expert
Southeast
Subject: Loss of strength in hand while biking

I had to back off running recently to let a looming injury heal before it gets bad, so I've begun to increase my biking mileage.  This has proven to be no problem (knock on wood), except in one area.

Twice now, including on a 75 mile ride today (longest I've done in 20 years!), I've had the following experience: towards the end of the ride, I lost a great deal of strength in my left hand (fingers), so much that upshifting becomes an issue.  Once I had to reach over with my right hand to shift!  The hand is not at all numb, and in fact both times I had no idea that I was losing strength in it (it felt fine -- no tingling or pain or numbness).  It goes away after an hour or two after the ride.

One slightly odd thing is that I'm left-handed, so my left hand is actually quite a bit stronger than my right.

a.  Will it go away with time?

b.  Will gloves help?

c.  What am I doing wrong?  I try to stay relaxed, shift positions from time to time, not put too much pressure in the area where the nerve passes into the hand, and let my core hold up my body (but I wouldn't swear that as I get tired I'm not putting more weight on my hands).

d.  Does this happen to you (experienced cyclists)?

2008-09-28 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1702358

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Loss of strength in hand while biking

Do you have a road bike or are you riding a tri bike?

Even if you are riding a tri bike, the nerves in your hand can still be affected by riding. You could be having carpal tunnel issues even without numbess/tingling.*

*what my Dr. told me this week.

2008-09-28 10:16 PM

User image

google "cyclist's palsy"
2008-09-28 10:40 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Wow. Intersting. I've never heard of that. Thats not what I have but it does sound like what the OP is experiencing.

2008-09-28 11:32 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

When I ride, I really need to focus on relaxing my shoulder muscles, pulling down with my lats to hold good form (shoulder baldes in back pockets). Otherwise my hands/wrists take a beating. I get tingling, numbness, loss of motor control, & strength, especially in cooler weather. I'm left handed too, and it's my right hand that gets the most of the 'crap'. As your shoulders creep up & get tense, the upper traps get tight & can effect the neck muscles which will in turn reduce blood flow & nerve function in the arms & hands (I had treatment for that). Even though I think I'm relaxing, I'm not (because I'm not a good cyclist) & have to constantly put my mind on my shoulders & lat muscles. When I hunch my shoulders on purpose...my hands tighten up...when I relax my shoulders and use my lats, the hands relax...

I'm not an expert...but I instruct pilates & have done a lot of work on posture, etc. Having said that, it's easy to instruct someone else, rather than the self, lol.

Anyway, that helped for me. ????? 

2008-09-29 6:01 AM
in reply to: #1702480

Expert
Southeast

ChrisM - 2008-09-28 11:16 PM google "cyclist's palsy"

Thanks.  I think you nailed it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Loss of strength in hand while biking Rss Feed