General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/stiff back Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-06 11:02 AM

New user
Subject: Sore/stiff back

So, I competed in 3 tris this year, ending the season with my first olympic in September.  I noticed that as I trained more and more through the spring and summer that my back would bother me more and more.  More specifically, my mid to lower back would bother me.  Before training for triathlons, I used to just ride my bike and never had this problem.  I recently had a physical and told my doctor about all this, and he said that it is very common for multisport athletes to have issues with their back.  I'm only 26 and have never had back issues before.  Anyways, he told me to get a balance board and use it 15-30 minutes a day and that should strengthen my core enough to help with the back soreness/stiffness. 

Has this worked for anyone else?  Have you tried something else completely different that has worked for you? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2008-10-06 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1720751

Subject: RE: Sore/stiff back

Go with what your doc said about working on your core, of course. My core is not the hottest, but when it was, I had less issues with my lower back - I'm not terribly flexible there either.

From all the running I've been doing, training for my first marathon (which I'm now out of due to what is most likely tendonitis on the inside of my left knee), it was making my lower back really tight. I've found that stretching out my back with some yoga helps- poses that stretch it in both directions. I also went and got a massage recently and she basically put everything back together - I felt 10x better. Make sure, too, that your desk set-up at work isn't making you sit improperly. Mine does and I spend the day trying to stay comfortable.

All this to say - strong core keeps your lower back stable. Stretching keeps it flexible. In my experiences, both are good.

The other response around here is also "check your bike fit". Might be your fit, might not - might just be a core issue, but it's probably not a bad idea.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-10-06 11:24 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/stiff back Rss Feed