General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those weightlifters in the crowd... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-23 8:42 PM

Subject: For those weightlifters in the crowd...
Just wondering if someone might have some suggestions on training while trying not to loose too much weight. I am new to triathlon training (3-spints last year) but I am really wanting to be more competetive and see some improvements on finish times. At the same time I love getting in the weightroom and hitting the heavy weights. Last summer while training I went from 195 lbs to 175 lbs while eating healthy but as much as I could to maintain weight. Any diet or supplement suggestions to prevent too much weight loss will be very helpfull.

Thanks in advance, Scott

2005-02-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: #121729

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: For those weightlifters in the crowd...

When you lift weights you are burning a ton of calories because is is anerobic.  You need to keep your carb intake up and more protein after your workouts.  The carbs will help you keep on the weight and the protein will help muscles recover and add muscle.  You certainly do not want to bulk up too much if you are a heavy lifter.  Remember to work your core muscles, those are the best muscles to work.  Best of luck in your training.

Mark

2005-02-23 9:02 PM

JUst a question. If you are gaining in stregth and getting fitter why would you want to keep the extra weight? It is obviously fat and will slow you down. ON a side note, hitting heavy weights will prob not give you the ideal tri body either.
2005-02-23 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Mark's right on the nutrition, and working the core muscles.  You'll use those every time you swim, bike and/or run.  My lifting routine doesn't include any specific work for triceps or biceps; back, chest, shoulders, quads, hamstrings and abs/lower back.  I find that my tris and bis get plenty of work from chest and back sets, and my calves get plenty of work from biking, running, steps and dancing.

Gaining muscle will help you burn more calories when resting (boosts your metabolism quite well), and this will help you loose fat.  You may gain weight, as muscle weighs more than fat.  You must feed your muscles, though - plenty of protein and carbs, and limit fats. 

I'd lighten up the weights some, as you primarily want endurance and not power for triathlons.  Granted, you need strength to hammer up a hill, but you want that strength at the top of the hill, and not just at the bottom.  You may want to compete at 195 in bodybuilding contests, but heavily muscled people typically don't race as well as skinnier endurance-type athletes.

2005-02-23 10:10 PM
in reply to: #121733

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
gypsykorea - 2005-02-23 6:02 PM

JUst a question. If you are gaining in stregth and getting fitter why would you want to keep the extra weight? It is obviously fat and will slow you down.

this is not always the case.

I lost over 5 pounds of muscle during last season, so the 'tri training keeps mass' myth is false in my expereince. I'm sure the 20 pounds the OP lost was a combination, and without a body fat test, we won't know what percentage of either it was.
2005-02-23 10:21 PM

Now that I look back at it I see that he was talking about training that I am assuming after a re-read that he meant tri- training. To that aspect, I have to agree with you. He prob did loose muscle mass as well as fat. Although, that prob isn't such a bad thing. I thought he meant he lost 20 pounds lifting heavy weights. It must be getting late, lol.

2005-02-24 4:06 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I was an avid bodybuilder/weight lifter until I had open heart surgery four years ago (valve replacement, similar to Schwarzenegger's). After surgery, with my doctor's encouragement, I decided to focus more on my aerobic fitness, which is what eventually got me hooked on triathlons. I still lift a couple of times a week, but only moderate weight for high reps.
As I got more involved in my triathlon training and racing, I realized that I was hauling aroung a lot of useless muscle and bulk (Unfortunately, benchpress is not one of the three events...) I'm now trying to lose weight, and specifically some of my upper body mass, to help improve my triathlon performance. Besides the weight alone, a 46" chest and thick shoulders are not very aerodynamic on the bike - kind of like pushing a barn door into the wind.
It's somewhat a matter of personal preference/goals. You can certainly continue to lift heavy and still race, but realize that the heavy lifting is probably going to be detrimental to your triathlon performance at some point.
Good luck,
Mark
2005-02-24 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Traveling
I also love to lift and have recovered about 15lbs of muscle that I lost during my last diet where I lost 60lbs. I really enjoy lifting and agree with the comments that mass may not be the most beneficial but I like having the feeling of strenght. I am now focusing on Olympic lifiting styles to build strength without bodybuilding mass. Has anyone tried this out there or am I just kidding myself...
2005-02-24 8:56 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Yeah, the unfortunate truth is that to maximize your potential as a triathlete you need to strip your body to the essentials...no more muscle than is necessary. I'm only 5"9 168lbs but I should probably drop another 5lbs of lean mass and 2-3lbs of fat if I wanted to wring out my potential for racing. But that's why I'm not aiming to be an elite class racer. Triathlon is not the only reason I train.
2005-02-24 9:00 AM

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
As someone training for triathlons to get in shape and not to win races, I think you need to find a good balance between overall fitness and the visual advantages of being "ripped." I have found that training for a sprint has helped me to lose the fat that I needed to get rid of in order to see the muscles that I have been lifting to get. The key to doing both is nutrition. I drink protein shakes, soy milk, and bread that is enhanced with extra protein to make sure that I'm not losing muscle as I do cardio. However, as you'll notice in my logs, I don't do an extreme amount of running, biking, or swimming, just enough to stay fit keep the keg away from my soon-to-be six-pack.

In short: goal setting is the key to determining how much endurance vs. strength training you need to do.
2005-02-24 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
You didn't mention age/gender. Lifting weights that work multi-joint groups (squats, seated rows, etc.) and core muscles (situps) are essential for the over-40 crowd and for women, as they promte joint stability, enhance tendon strength, and reduce the risk of injury. I recommend using the routines in Friel's Training Bible.

2005-02-24 10:08 AM

Regular
Keller, TX
Depending on what you want there are a variety of protein shakes you can drink to supplement if maintaining the weight is really what you want. I tend to agree with those who mentioned the added bulk, in the context of triathlon, but your diet and supplents will determine whether you gain or lose.

I've changed my workouts up so I'm doing a lot less weight, higher reps (12-30) going very slow, and very strict form. Slow helps concentrate on the muscle group I'm hitting and the core. Maybe I'm grabbing for straws here, but working out this way seems to help my endurance. I guess that is because of the burn that sets in around rep 15 knowing I have to go over 25 and having to fight through it.

My weight has pretty well stayed the same, but it is finally starting to drop a bit. The drop is by design through my diet. Otherwise I've been able to stick with the weights, improve core strength and endurance all while maintaining weight until I tweaked my diet.

Good luck, Steve
2005-02-24 10:16 AM
in reply to: #121822

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I think you're on target. Powerlifting techniques will help you build strength and power with minimal mass gains. It's a completely different goal compared to bodybuilders. Show me a bodybuilder and powerlifter of the same weight and I'll put my money on the PL'r any day to kick the BB's arse.

paulieman - 2005-02-24 8:48 AM

I also love to lift and have recovered about 15lbs of muscle that I lost during my last diet where I lost 60lbs. I really enjoy lifting and agree with the comments that mass may not be the most beneficial but I like having the feeling of strenght. I am now focusing on Olympic lifiting styles to build strength without bodybuilding mass. Has anyone tried this out there or am I just kidding myself...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those weightlifters in the crowd... Rss Feed