General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reworking IMAZ last three weekends of training - Need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-13 12:40 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: Reworking IMAZ last three weekends of training - Need advice
(Training Background - 7 full marathons over past 3 years, 2 HIM since May. First full IM.)

Looking at the schedule, we've got three weekends left (holy sh*t) before taper time. My schedule has been like this so far: June/July - Consistent build up from HIM in May. August - bike focused; September - run focused. Now in October I've planned on pulling everything together and equally working on bike/run.

So I'm out on a planned 100 miler this morning and just can't get the wheels going. Probably a little tired from my 18 mile run this weekend, but I could only muster up 60 miles on the bike before I just shut it down. I probably could have struggled through another 20-40 miles but was just miserable. Needless to say I am not feeling very confident on the bike right now at all! My only century ride in late August was great (5:15), but I'm now thinking I focused too much on running in September and it is now coming back to bite me?

So, with three good weekends left, what are the suggestions for my remaining schedule? My thoughts were to have 100 miler today (didn't go so well), 100 miler this Saturday 18th, down week a little on 25th (small bike and run Sat/Sun), and then 20 mile run on the 1st and as close to a 100 miler on 2nd as I could do.

Seeing where today's ride went and my past training (attached), what do you guys suggest?

Attachments
----------------
Page1.xlsx (15KB - 10 downloads)

2008-10-13 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1738767

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Reworking IMAZ last three weekends of training - Need advice

I might suggest separating the Long Run and the Long Ride in your schedule. (Since it seems like 24 hours is not enough time to recover)

I did most all of my Long Runs Mid-Week and although it is a pain, it's worth it to be able to hit the 100 miler with fresh legs.

The primary goal being to get in solid workouts and provide ample time to recover before attempting another hard/long workout.

FWIW: I also did one weekend where I did a Long Ride on Saturday and a Long Run on Sunday, but I was/am to the point with my training where a 20 mile run or a 100 mile ride did not have a significant impact on my training the following day.

Good luck and maybe see you in Arizona. (I am volunteering and Signing up for 2009)

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-10-13 1:02 PM
2008-10-13 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1738834

User image

Baton Rouge
thanks for the input.....I wish I had the schedule that could allow me to get in both a long run and long ride in the same week (one mid, one weekend), but I just don't. May be able to squeeze it in during these last three weeks, very possible.

For this month I had planned to alternate weekends with long run, long bike which is what I'm still looking at doing, but was just wondering if I should now do a 3 for 1 bike instead of half and half seeing how my long ride went this morning.

Also, I am pretty much to the point with long runs that they don't keep me down for longer than 24 hours, so I thought. I wasn't sore yesterday or this morning from the long run Saturday, but I just didn't have any kick whatsoever. The first 5 miles into my ride this morning I was like uh oh, it's going to be a long one!
2008-10-13 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Try doing long run early in the morning Wed or Thursday and go into work late might be an option. Or figure out what can work in your work/family life.

I separated my long runs and long rides by 3 days if possible. Running fatigues me the most of all my training.

Just an observation from your post seems like cycling is worrying you most so perhaps the next three weeks it will be more important to get the long bikes in. Coming off the bike as fresh as possible  is key to having a good mary in an IM.

From what I remember this was the tough time for me the last build before IM taper.

2008-10-13 3:15 PM

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

I think riding your bike is much more important that running 20 miles.  Matter of fact - you have an 18 miler - that was your LONG run for IMAZ, great, good to get that out of the way, in the next three weeks keep your long run right at 90 minutes to 2 hours.   The next three weeks ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike.  As someone suggested, move you long run to Wed. - get up one hour early and bingo you can get a 12-13 miler in and get recovered for your 100mile ride this Saturday.

Trust me on the running, your IM marathon will not be anything like a stand alone marathon.  You need to be able to get off the bike fresh enough to run.

2008-10-13 3:32 PM

User image

What Mike said.  Use this last push to focus on bike.  The 18 miler is sufficient (I am no coach, so take it with a grain of salt)

I was able recently to separate the long rides and runs, and the quality of the runs got much higher.  If you can, it's a good thing

2008-10-13 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1739350

User image

Baton Rouge
Cool. THanks guys. Having a 17, 20 and 18 miler run under my belt and the confidence from past marathons I was thinking would be good too. May try and sneak one more long run in before taper time as I don't want my last long run of 18 miles to have come 6 weeks out from IMAZ as I feel that may be a little bit too long??

Bike it is for three more weeks. Should I aim for three more 100 milers each of the next three weekends?
2008-10-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1739629

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Don't sneak another long run, you are good, period.   Since you have 3 runs over 2 hours you are golden.  Better to bike 100 then run another 18 miler.

On your bike, I would aim for 3 - 100 milers if you can.   At least two, maybe go 100 this Sat, next weekend do a long brick like 60bike/6run (do this one at IM pace), then the next weekend do another 100, then 2 weeks out 50bike/6run (at IM pace).  

2008-10-14 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1740931

User image

Baton Rouge
Blueraider_Mike - 2008-10-14 8:50 AM

Don't sneak another long run, you are good, period.   Since you have 3 runs over 2 hours you are golden.  Better to bike 100 then run another 18 miler.

On your bike, I would aim for 3 - 100 milers if you can.   At least two, maybe go 100 this Sat, next weekend do a long brick like 60bike/6run (do this one at IM pace), then the next weekend do another 100, then 2 weeks out 50bike/6run (at IM pace).  

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I WILL get in a 100 miler this weekend no doubt about it. THe next three weeks are all bike bike bike all of a sudden I'm a tad worried. I did a great century ride in August with several 70 miler rides and one 90 mile ride, but I have a lot less confidence on the bike right now for some reason. Nothing is comfortable about it. Maybe just in a funk, which I WILL bust out of this weekend!!

Thanks again!
2008-10-16 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1743141

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Lance26.2 - 2008-10-14 9:09 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I WILL get in a 100 miler this weekend no doubt about it. THe next three weeks are all bike bike bike all of a sudden I'm a tad worried. I did a great century ride in August with several 70 miler rides and one 90 mile ride, but I have a lot less confidence on the bike right now for some reason. Nothing is comfortable about it. Maybe just in a funk, which I WILL bust out of this weekend!!

Thanks again!

It's almost all mental at this point. If you're worried about the bike, then go ride. I would try and hit a 112 - 115 mile ride as one of your rides so you can put the lack of confidence thing behind you. The problem sounds like fatigue, not lack of ability.

I personally like the 20 miler idea, but not if you are going to start the race worrying about your ride.

TJ
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reworking IMAZ last three weekends of training - Need advice Rss Feed