General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ford Ironman World Championship Race Report Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-10-13 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Ford Ironman World Championship Race Report

I got into triathlons to have stories.  Not just any stories – but epic stories.  The Chicago marathon was an epic story for everyone that ran that race.  The Disney marathon was an epic story for personal reasons.  Gulf Coast was epic hot this year. Epic stories – everyone should have them.

We found out in April that we got into the Kona lottery.  At first, I wasn’t sure if we could afford to do it.  We had already planned a trip to Taiwan this year and that is not a cheap trip.  But we decided that this was a once in a lifetime trip and went all in.  I’m so glad I did.

We got to Kona on Friday, the week before the race.  Saturday was a long bike from Hawi and back where I got to experience the climb into Hawi and more importantly the winds.  Saturday was also my first swim at Dig Me beach.  Sunday was a long run from downtown Kona to the Energy Lab.  The rest of the week was spent relaxing, enjoying our time here and tapering down.

The thing about Kona, outside of what everyone knows about it, is all of the people you get to see.  Many times we would be walking down the street and you would find yourself walking behind Paula-Newby Fraser or Mark Allen or Heather Fuhr.  To me, that’s one of the big things that is not talked about much that makes this place special.  No other triathlon in the world will allow you to see so much living history as this one.

Registration was Wednesday. I got my race bracelet and race packet.  I had a 15 mile bike ride planned for Wednesday afternoon.  I got 2 miles into it and ran over a 2” nail.  After a trip to the local bike store where I got to meet the Adamo saddle guys, I had a new tire, tube and rim strip.
Thursday was the athletes meeting.  It was cool to learn about what is going to be at the aid stations.  I got a full 8 hours of sleep on Thursday night thinking that Friday night would be a restless night.

Friday was bike check-in. I prepped my bags, checked, re-checked and re-re-checked them. My handler walked me through transition, we racked my bike and then racked my bags.  She asked me about 100 times if my bags were set since I would not have access to them on race morning.  Nope, I was good I told her.

Friday night I went to bed early, around 7pm.  I woke up at 4am and can honestly say I have never gotten a better nights sleep pre-race.  I had a calm to me that is indescribable.  Not so much for Jamie.

After a quick stop into the Lava Java for a Soy Latte, we made our way over to the pier where people where already lining the sea wall. The lights were on, the NBC cameras were rolling.  I made my way over to body marking.  On the way I dropped off my special needs bags.  I was expecting a more official body marking process but I was in and out in less than a minute. My chip was checked and now I was an official starter.

After body marking, I checked out my bike, pump the tires and setup my hydration.  This took all of 3 minutes and I was back at the swim start hanging out with Jamie and the girls.  From here I had about an hour but it went by like it was 15 minutes.  The chopper was overhead.  Racers where everywhere.  Spectators where jockeying for the best position to watch the swim start.  Soon enough, it was 6:30 and it was time to put on the speed suit and hit the water.  I said goodbye to Jamie and the kids.

“just getting to the starting line and the finish is a huge challenge.” - Steve Fleck of Nineteen Wetsuits

Michellie Jones always talks about the first and only goal of an Ironman is to finish.  I never really had major doubts as to if I was going to finish.  The closer I got to the cannon going off, the less I doubted finishing.  I was prepared.  As much as a good swimmer I am, the swim was my only doubt.  I had a fear of getting kicked in the face or head and my day would be over.  I felt that if I made it through the swim, the rest of the day would take care of itself. 

Outside of that, I had 3 goals in mind for today: 1) finish, 2) sub 5:00 marathon and 3) sub 12:30.  If I only did #1, I would still be happy.  Of course, I told myself to have fun and smile along the way.

I spent the last few minutes of my prep on the carpet of the bike mount line.  The Navy Seals dropped in and the C-130 made several fly-bys.  That part was cool to watch.  I entered the water and hung out about waists deep.  National anthem was played. They had drums playing (very cool - every tri should have these).   I saw a turtle swim around (it's a sign of good luck).  Then the pro gun went off and it was really time to hit the water.  I got wet and made my way to the start line.  I must have been one of the first because I looked back and saw the entire beach crowded by racers.  I hung onto the wall a bit, treaded water a bit and talked to a few racers a bit.  Before I knew it, they were waving red flags (which signals that the cannon is about to go off).

BAM!

I was kicked, grabbed, pulled, hit in the head and generally molested for about 20 minutes.  I’m sure I did my fair share as everyone was trying to jockey for position.  Things cleared up for a while and I tried to hug the buoy line.  I even had some of the kayakers move me back onto the course since I was too far inside.  The good thing is that I generally had open water.  The bad thing is that I had zero draft.  I think I’ll take zero draft over getting molested.  My goggles fogged up so I couldn’t really see beyond the next buoy and had no idea how far until the turn.  Later, the pros would say that this was a difficult year for sighting on the swim course.

Eventually, I did make it to the first turn and then the second turn.  When you make the turn, you turn around two boats.  I swam so close to the boat that my right hand hit it a few times.  Just after the second turn I found a group to swim with but apparently I wasn’t invited. Somehow I got sandwiched between two guys drafting off a girl and the two guys didn’t like it.  I was back to being kicked, grabbed, pulled, hit in the head and generally molested.  I decided that open water was better than this so I drifted to over to the buoy line.

For the most part, I only dry heaved 2-3 times.  At one point on the way back in, I got a nose, mouth and stomach full of salt water.  If I never do another salt water swim, I will be happy.

Eventually, I saw the big Gatorade bottle and since that was at the end of the pier I figured I could sight off that.  Problem is, it wasn’t at the end of the pier.  There were two Gatorade bottles and I was sighting off the right one.  The swim finish was on my left and I was sighting off something to my right.  It took me a minute to figure out why I was swimming so alone.  Damn, left turn – back on course.

1:14:37 out of the water.  I thought maybe I could go 1:05 but I was happy with 1:14.  I was finished with the swim.  Yes - one step closer to the finish line.

The great thing about IM is that when you hit transition, there is a person every 3 feet telling you where to go and what to do.  So, I was herded into the showers where I took an extra minute to wash off and drink some H2O.  Then I grabbed my bike bag and made it to the transition tent.  I picked a chair, sat down and a volunteer ran over to me.  After lathering up with a huge amount of sun screen and putting everything else on, I was off.  The volunteers at an Ironman are huge and they definitely make the day easier.

6:49 out of transition.  Again, I thought maybe 5:00 for a transition but I’m totally at ease with this time.

Ran out of transition with my bike; flying mount, got my feet into my shoes and I was off.  Coming out of transition, you make a left turn.  The crowd was deep and going nuts.  You then make a right onto Makala Street, a right onto to the Queen K, another right onto Palani Road which is a downhill (we were made to go single file since this road is steep), then a left onto Kuakini Hwy.  This is a short 4 mile out and back section.  It was pretty crowded but I tried to stay within my power numbers and let my HR settle.  Otherwise, this part of the race is a complete blur.  After this out and back part, I made a left and climbed back up Palani.  The crowds where amazing right here. Lining the road like a TdF climb.  A left onto the Queen K, and we are on our way.  8 miles down, 104 to go.  Until mile 40, we had a pretty good tail wind.  My mantra at that point was "obey the power meter like it is God".  I stayed right in my 166-175 wattage.  I also was thinking about something I read "the first 4-5 hours of this race seems easy" - yes, it had been going easy.  I was on track with nutrition and pace to have a very good day.  At this point, it looked like all my goals could be accomplished.  I reminded myself that I was doing IM World Championships and to just enjoy the moment.  Earlier in the week, my bike had start miss-shifting in the middle cogs but whatever minor adjustments I did worked because everything was firing on all cylinders at this point.  I was having a great day.  On one of the flats, I drifted right, slowed down and peed.  I'm pretty sure it was the longest pee I have ever done on the bike.  But I was glad since it meant I was hydrated very well.

At mile 40, you stay on the coast by turning left onto 270.  This is where the crosswinds usually pickup and they did.  This is also where the climbing begins up to Hawi.  I hadn't seen the pros yet and I felt pretty good about that.  My pace slowed but I was also climbing uphill and dealing with a headwind and cross winds.  Nothing major but the pros did later say that this year’s winds were worse than last year’s winds.  With 7 miles to the turn around, I saw the NBC Helicopter which meant that the front end of the field was close.  I sat up to enjoy the view for a few minutes.  I allowed myself to be a complete spectator while they rode the other way.  First I saw Torjborn Sinbelle, then Chris Lieto, then Faris Al Sultan, then Norman Stadler, then Criag Alexander.  I didn't see Chris McCormack and I assumed that I just missed him in the chase pack.  After the first 10 pros, it became a blur and hard to recognize folks so I went back to business of racing my race.

With about 5 miles to go, the climb gets steady.  It's not a terrible climb by any measure but we did have a headwind.  I needed to pee (no downhill) and I was still 20-30 minutes to the turnaround.  I held strong for another 3 miles before I pulled over to pee. Just could not take it any longer.  I took the time to reapply sun screen and make my second feed bottle.  Up until this point, I had been obeying my power meter and heart rate meter.  But my power meter had started to go in and out for the last few miles.  At this point it wasn't reading anything.  I tried to adjust the sensor but nothing.  Oh well, time to switch to RPE and HR only.  IM is all about dealing with what the day gives you and this was just one more thing I had to deal with.  I made the final climb into Hawi.

The crowd was awesome in Hawi.  I pulled over to grab my special needs bag. After the turnaround, you have about 10 miles of downhill with a tailwind and I was flying.  After the big downhill, there are rollers until you get back to mile 80 and back on the Queen K.  I think it was about noon at this point, it was getting hot (they would later say that it was 108 on the lava fields).   I was at 6 hours into my day and getting tired.  My stomach just got tired of having things put into it.  I thought to myself "you know, if you were doing a HIM, you would be done by now".  I started to tell myself that I would never do another IM again.  I typically know that miles 60-80 of a century are hard and these miles where doubly so. 

I made the turn back onto the Queen K and told myself only 32 more miles to go.  Easy - 2 hours.  But it was not easy.  I had a headwind.  It was hot.  My stomach was not happy.  I was trying everything at the aid stations.  Water, Coke, Gatorade, whatever.  We were pretty spaced out on the bike; I could barely see folks ahead of me and no too many folks behind me.  I knew based on what I saw coming out of Hawi that I was not but I felt like I was the last competitor in the race.  I just wanted to be off the bike. 

Finally, I saw a plane taking off and I knew the airport wasn't too far away.  And just after the airport, was the Energy lab and just after the Energy lab is Kona.  And in Kona is the pier.  And on the pier is the carpet.  The carpet leads to the transition area and, most importantly, I can get off this damn bike. 

As I got past the Energy lab on my bike, the end of the pro men field was headed back into town.  I saw Loveto and Potts.  I also saw Wellington leading the women's race by a country mile. 

Finally, 3 miles to go, then 2 miles to go, then 1 miles to go.  Out of my shoes.  Crowds cheering me on.  Riding on the carpet.  Jump off the bike and a handler takes in from me.  I cross the T2 timing mat and let out a cheer.  I made it off the bike.  Only 1 more event to do.  I was at 8 hours clock time.  9 hours to do a marathon.  Now I KNEW I was going to finish. 

6:39 on the bike.  I thought I might be able to do 6:00 on a great day but I pretty much expected 6:40 on the bike so I was happy with that.  12:30 was a little out of each so sub 13:00 became my new goal. 

I ran through transition and made a brief stop into the bathroom.  After that, I grabbed my run bag, and sat down in the change tent.  A volunteer put an ice cold towel on my shoulders and that felt awesome.  Man it felt so much better just sitting down and not moving.  Shoes on, fuel belt on, bottles filled with water and time to go.  As I was in transition, I heard Mike Reilly announce the male winner. I asked a few volunteers who won but no one knew.  Hey, what can I say, I'm a fan of the sport too.

7:32 transition.  Again, I thought maybe 5:00 for a transition but I’m totally at ease with this time.

Starting the run, I ran up the first part of Palini and then onto Kuakini Hwy, down Hualali and onto Ali’i Drive.  I felt great for 1/2 mile of this but then I was back to feeling hot, tired and having an upset stomach.  I slowly made my way up Ali’i which is a 5 mile out section.  I saw Jamie and told her to expect a 6 hour marathon.  I felt terrible.  Just after Jamie at mile 3.5, I tried to eat a mojo bar but my stomach had finally had enough of me.  I was on all fours puking up a mix of water, Gatorade, coke, gels and mojo bar.  I am not a pretty puker.  My body goes into voilent convulsions.  My biggest fear was that a race official would see me and pull me off the course for medical reasons. Once I stood up, I felt fantastic.  Finally, after hours of feeling terrible, I felt like a million bucks.  So, like Forrest Gump, I started running.  I hit the turn around and they had chicken broth.  Man, nothing ever has tasted that good.  I told the lady that I loved her for having chicken broth.  I made my way back down Ali’i and saw Jamie again.  I felt so good I told her maybe a 5 hour marathon was in the cards.  As I passed folks I smiled and gave them a thumbs up.  I have a great picture of me smiling.  Things were looking up.

That is, until I hit Pay and Save hill.  I walked it.  Probably a mistake.  Maybe I could have run it.  Who knows but now I'm out on the Queen K and not feeling well again.  In retrospect, once my stomach was empty, I should not have put anything else in it.  Oh well, something to learn for next time.  I was on ice, Gatorade and water.  As I made my was out Energy Lab, I was trying every trick I knew to keep me moving.  At first I was walking the aid stations.  Then I was running 5 mins, walking 1 min.  Then I tried running 2 mins and walking 1 min.  After I tried running 1 min and walking 1 min, I was pretty much done. I was at mile 16.  I still had over 6 hours left to finish and I took comfort in knowing that I would finish my day.  The sun was going down as I entered the Energy Lab (that was a small goal of mine).

“The Natural Energy Lab is the Ironman's archetypal personal test, like the Slough of Despond in John Bunyon's Pilgrim's Progress. It's not the weight of one's sins and sense of guilt that bedevils Ironman runners during this horrible stretch of road, it's the heat, and the pain, and the doubts, and the knowledge of the distance yet to run.” Dan Empfield – Editor of Slowtwitch

That quote pretty much sums up my time in the Energy Lab.  I tried to run but my stomach would have none of it.  Anything faster than a slow walk, and I would start to dry heave.  It was my darkest hour.  People walking past me.  I wanted for the day to be over.  I told myself I would NEVER do another Ironman.  I never wanted to quit but I did have my doubts that I could actually walk and finish this thing.  I made the turnaround.  Only 8 miles left.  They handed me my special needs bag and I grabbed one thing out of it, a flashlight.  I put the rest of it in the trash.  There was nothing that I wanted out of that.

“You can quit and they don’t care.  But you will always know.” – Cmdr. John Collins, founder of Ironman

I got to the motivational mile.  "Go Daddy We Luv U" was the message.  I told myself to keep going, that Jamie and the girls were waiting on me.  I made it out of the Energy Lab.  Only 6 miles left.  I kept walking.  It was dark.  I was tired.  I kept walking some more.

At the 21 mile aid station I grabbed some Gatorade.  This was finally too much (again).  I got one sip down and my body put me on all fours puking it all up.  I actually convulsed so hard I thought I threw my shoulder out.  After what felt like 5 minutes of puking on the Queen K,  I got up.  I started to feel better.  I started to run.  1/4 mile down.  Side stitch in my right side made me start walking again.  A guy and girl passed me running and I decided it was go time.  5 miles left. 

I ran with them.  Side stitch never got worse.  The guy dropped off a 1/4 mile later and started to puke.  Dude, I know the feeling.  I chatted with the women for another 1/4 mile and she said she was done.  4.5 miles left.  Now I'm hammering.  I'm finishing this thing.  2 more aid stations.  I swung wide at the last one.  As helpful as the volunteers are and as thankful as I am for having them out there, having water, ice, Gatorade, coke or broth shoved in my face at this point in the race was not making me happy.  Just the thought of any of that stuff made me sick. 

I'm still hammering.  13:27 on my watch.  I'm at 3.2 miles to go.  33 min 5K to break 14 hours?  I can do that.  It became my new goal.  Passing people.  2 miles to go.  I'm running down Palini.  The crowd is picking up and cheering.  I am feeling great.  I let out a "woooooooo" and raised my finger.  I let the speed of the hill take over.  Left turn onto Kuakini Hwy and pass a few more people.  I decide that I've passed the last person for the day.  I pace off the guy in front of me so he can have the finish line to himself.  I'm high fiving folks now.  I'm screaming and feeling awesome.  Down Hualali and one look back to make sure I will have the finish chute alone.  The guy in front of me starts to slow and so I start to slow to a jog. 

"You push yourself for 140.4 miles so you can experience the 0.2 miles on Ali'i Drive" - Paula Newby Frasier

Onto Ali'i Drive.  People are wall to wall.  It is indescribable.  I see Jamie and the girls.  I stop to give them a kiss.  I'm on the carpet.  The crowd is going wild.  I spin around.  I raise my fist in the air.  I let my body just take over.  Up the ramp.  I jump up.  I hear Mike Reilly say "Jonathan Collins from Alpharetta, GA: YOU ARE AN IRONMAN". 

"Swim 2.4 miles! Bike 112 miles! Run 26.2 miles! Brag for the rest of your life" - Cmdr John Collins, founder of Ironman

I cross the finish line with a 5:47:13 marathon, 13:55:24 overall and an epic story that will last the rest of my life. 

Edited by jonathan22 2008-10-13 7:53 PM

2008-10-13 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1740108

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman World Championship Race Report
Wow, just wow.  Awesome race report.  Amazing will power to keep going!  Congratulations!!  Something not many people will get to experience and you have an amazing story to tell!  Thanks for sharing.
2008-10-13 8:10 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Awesome report on an awesome day. Treasure it forever.
2008-10-13 8:15 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Awesome read man.....Congrats on a great accomplishment!
2008-10-13 8:18 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Simply amazing... and an epic story, indeed.  I'm so happy you decided to go to Kona, so glad you were able to overcome the challenges of the day, and so thankful you were able to share it with us in such great detail.  Congratulations, Ironman.

Edited by mila 2008-10-13 8:19 PM
2008-10-13 8:36 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great job dude!! What a way to do an Ironman......

2008-10-13 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Dude:

C'mon man, I'm at work.. that damn corrugate dust is making my eyes water again.

Epic, simply epic.  I remember when you considered the $85 lottery entry fee a "stupid tax". My guess is that it wasn't a stupid tax after all.

Congrats.

Edited by 1st Timer in NY 2008-10-13 8:40 PM
2008-10-13 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1740266

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great Job IRONMAN!  It was pretty cool to see you jump over the finish line.
2008-10-13 8:57 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Fabulous race report. It was like Total Drama Island does Kona (cartoon where they puke a lot). Congratulations on finishing the grand daddy of all triathlons and sharing with us the real, gritty, not-so-pretty side of what it takes to finish. Bravo!

Pam
2008-10-13 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Great race and race report.  Congratulations.
2008-10-13 9:16 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
AWESOME and Congratulations!! Thanks SO much for capturing those details of all of us that WISH we were there!! I love epic...incredible!

2008-10-13 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Epic? Yeah, I'd say so..

Great RR.

2008-10-13 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
great write up! sounds like a day you will remember for a long time! i still get the chills and emotion of the finish chute of IMWI every time i read one of these rr's it really is something everyone should feel once in their life!
2008-10-13 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1740373

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
J22, you are THE MAN!  Awesome Awesome job.  I loved following along with you on race day.
2008-10-13 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great job! There are a few momentsi n this race last year that I'll remeber for the rest of my life. The incredibly nervious calm before the storm floating in water for the final 5 min before the start, experencing just how dark and quiet the natural energy lab can be at night, and of course that last quarter mile down Alli drive where my feet never touched the ground.

You earned yourself another epic story, now you get a few weeks to sit back and enjoy it. Great job!
2008-10-13 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Im tingling from head to toe!! Absolutely Awesome!!! Your report made my eyeballs sweat!! Now where was the lottery entry on Active.com???

2008-10-14 4:34 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Great report on a fantastic race!
2008-10-14 4:42 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

"I'm high fiving folks now.  I'm screaming and feeling awesome."

Perfect!  Way to live the dream!  Congratulations on an epic race.

2008-10-14 5:38 AM

User image

BEAUTIFUL.

READING THIS REPORT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING HAS SET THE TONE FOR MY ENTIRE DAY

2008-10-14 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
Great RR and thanks for taking us along with you to kona! Congrats!
2008-10-14 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
WOW, just WOW!!!! Congrats on the finish, IRONMAN. I loved the race report. The thought process, the quotes, the ability to keep pushing forward.

Congrats on adding another EPIC story to your collection.

2008-10-14 7:34 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow..thanks for sharing you amazing day with us.

I love all the details and the ups and downs of your epic race. 

2008-10-14 7:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Congratulations Ironman.

Thanks for sharing the entire experience through the blog, pics and the race report.

Isn't it simply amazing that you can feel like complete crap at mile 21 but by mile 26 you're on top of the world? I'm so glad you got to experience it all.

2008-10-14 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great recap of what was definitely an epic day!
2008-10-14 7:51 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Now, aren't you glad we convinced you to go?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ford Ironman World Championship Race Report Rss Feed  

of 4