General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New member from Central Ohio Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-14 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: New member from Central Ohio

Good afternoon, how are we all doing today.  My name is Scott and I am going to attempt to finish a Tri one day.  I have always been infacuated with triathalons.  Every one has watched IM Hawaii on TV and got a little misty eyed with some of the incredible stories.  While living in AZ, I ventured down to watch the AZ IM for awhile.  What made me want to actually try to complete one was late one night, lying in bed with my wife flipping channels, we stumbled upon IM Hawaii, we watched it for a bit and I rolled over to her and said "I can do one of those" (knowing there are shorter races), she smiled and said in a sacrastic voice "ok dear" and patted my head.  The next day at work I told some co workers what me and my wife said, and they all just laughed at me.  Really, is it that bad.  So I am mad and on a mission to finish a Tri.  I admit, I am overweight and in bad shape, no excuses, I am just lazy and I admit to it.  So I have my work cut out for me.  Luckily my cousin in law is a triathete and I am going to ask him to join me in my endeavor.  I hope to learn so much from everyone here, there is alot of good information.

My first question of training is when I run, the lactic acid in my calves get unbearable after short distant.  Will this go away after training for a while and is there any training ideas to help easy the pain.

Everyone take care.

2008-10-14 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1742081

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New member from Central Ohio

Welcome to BT. 

I don't know how old you are, or how overweight/outta-shape you are, so my first bit of advice is to check with a doctor. 

Second bit of advice is to start slowly.  Maybe walk 30 minutes a day 3-5 (or 7) days a week (take the Mrs. too).  Add some stretching after your walks.   For me, I had to make some incentive to not skip a workout one day on the expectation that I'd "double up" the next (somehow, that second day never happens either).  I devised a point system where a half-hour walk was one point, a half-hour run 2 points, and "no activity" was minus 2 points.  I had monthly goals.  For me, that really helped (and I started 4 years ago). 

Third.  Find a race and commit to it.  Tell your friends and family what you'll be doing that day.  Sign up and pay for it as soon as you can.  This helps build accountability.  (It works for me.  I'm signed up for Ironman Coeur D'Alene--June 21, 2009 and most of my friends and family know what I'll be doing that day.

2008-10-14 4:35 PM

User image

I know what you mean, My wife is actually supportive (so supportive she let me buy a new bike). My friends and family on the other hand think I'm just blowing smoke. I am fortunate enough to be in decent shape with no health issues, I do agree with Mcfuzz about checking with your MD. Not because I'm am expert on Tri's or exercise for that matter but because I'm a nurse. If the doctor says it's OK I say full speed ahead, after allas long there are no real health concerns he will give you an OK because this definately is going to help with you lose weight. I was setting my sights on the Fat Rabbit Tri at Alum Creek next July, but I think I am going to try the Sprint at OSU in May, depending on how that goes maybe I'll do the Fat Rabbit Olympic distance race as well. Best of luck and Check out Tri Tech in Worthington.
2008-10-14 9:10 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Congrats on your commitment to get out and do a triathlon! It is the funnest hard work I have ever done in my life.

Well, my advice is to start with one of the beginner training plans on this site. Do a sprint race first. After that, who knows! Don't rush out to do the longer races like you see on TV, as it takes years to build endurance to that point! That is why the Kona champions are in the mid to late 30's! Take it slow and easy and you'll get there. Persistence is all it takes.

Happy workouts, Carol
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New member from Central Ohio Rss Feed