General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MS Heat Triathlon Team Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-14 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: MS Heat Triathlon Team

Ok, time for some MS Heat tri club updates.  We are looking at probably November 6th as the next tri club meeting, and everyone who is interested in in joining the new/re-worked club is invited.  A few new things are

1. The website: MS Heat  I'm pretty sure the registration is ready to go, and you do have to sign up to be able to use the website.  The calendar is working, some of the forums have a few glitches, but the home page at least has a preview of the new jerseys.  To be honest, I'd hold off until the meeting on the 6th to join up so our web guy can give you a little more info.

2.  The jerseys:  They are SWEET!  At the meeting on November 6th you'll be able to try some on, and maybe even purchase one at that time.  Some of the sizes we have in stock will be limited, but if we can't get you in the right size, we will be ordering more immediately following the meeting.  

3.  Sponsors and dues:  We are looking at a $20 membership fee, and this should be getting you a dri-fit shirt, a visor, and a lot of discounts at local business.  We are still in the process of collecting the sponsors, and their logo will go on the back of the shirts, so we won't have the dri-fits at the meeting.  Well, they are in, but we have to get them screened.  

4.  Training:  We are aiming to make a big push to get the area triathletes training together.  Now, we realize triathlon is an individual sport, and people like to train alone.  However, we see no reason why we can't all set out from the same starting point on our bikes, meet back up when we're done, and then hit a coffee shop or do lunch together.  Group runs or swims and breakfast.  Stuff like that.  The new board is going to volunteer their time for a lot of these, and anyone is welcome to help organize a group session.  We are hoping to get this kicked off immediately following the meeting on the 6th.

5.  Soak up the Sun:  We had an offer from an outside company to organize this race for us.  We said no for a few reasons.  First of all, keeping it in house keeps the cost way down.  Second of all, it's ours and we're kind of sentimental.  And thirdly, some people at Fleet Feet have stepped up to offer what amounts to a Couch to Sprint program like you see on this site.  We want as many rookies as possible to do the race this year!  And we're going to help them get to the finish line.  Also... if you happen to be a tri vet in the area, I'm going to be hitting you up for some volunteer time

6.  Bring ideas, questions, and suggestions:  We are nearly flying by the seat of our pants on this thing.  We have a lot of big ideas, some great small ones, and we're just trying to find a way to get them implemented in the best and most efficient way.  It's YOUR tri club!  We want to make it into something YOU enjoy and want to be a part of.  So, come by the meeting, have some cookies, tea, maybe a sandwhich and get to know us, and help us make this thing AWESOME!

So, tentatively:

Thursday, November 6th

6:00 PM

McCallisters on Lakeland Drive across the street from Jackson Prep

See ya there,

bill

2008-10-14 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1742182

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Subject: RE: MS Heat Triathlon Team

Awesome Bill, I am looking forward to seeing you there and finally meeting you face to face.  Also, I think it is awesome that Fleet Feet is putting together the Couch to Sprint program, I know they do a lot of running clinics and so forth, it would be nice to have some local clinics for us "First Timers" to help keep us on track and correct bad habits before they are to engrained!  Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the sport and it's athletes!

Todd

2008-10-15 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Jackson, MS
woohoo, i can't wait to start pestering people with very random training times. I have really slowed down after my race/as of late ( just look at my pitiful logs) and i need to pick it back up before full-blown winter.  Thanks for the info bill. see ya at the meeting!
2008-10-15 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Great news! I won't be able to make the meeting. I'll still be in PCB taking some time to recover from IMFL. But, please keep me in the loop. I want to be part of the team.
2008-10-15 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Karen and Andrew, since you two are experienced at this now, I'll probably be hitting you up to sort  of take the lead on a few runs or rides.  Not like an every weekend kind of thing, but maybe every once in a while to just sort of play the role of a shepherd. 

Just warning you

2008-10-15 9:54 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Team kit preview:

(IMGP2734.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMGP2734.JPG (36KB - 40 downloads)

2008-10-15 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Jackson, MS

i'll be glad to.... my school work is really hectic early in the week (which makes it frustrating to fit in workouts) but come wednesday or thursday i am pretty clear. (unless i am going out of town)

And btw, those look way sweeter in person than on the site..... great work whoever designed it. (although i am partial to blue stuff.... i guess that doesn't fit with "heat" well haha)

-andrew

2008-10-15 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1746043

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
The jerseys were Amanda's pet project and they turned out awesome.  They are the Sugoi second skin stuff.  You're right, the pic on the site doesn't do them justice.
2008-10-16 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1746071

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
I really, really want one (at least a top) for IMFL...especially since the top I ordered is apparently out of stock.
2008-10-16 4:18 PM
in reply to: #1748135

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

kvesey - 2008-10-16 4:02 PM I really, really want one (at least a top) for IMFL...especially since the top I ordered is apparently out of stock.

I sent your email address to Amanda (the one you have on here).  I'll pm hers to ya.

2008-10-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1744149

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
sesh - 2008-10-15 11:05 AM

Karen and Andrew, since you two are experienced at this now, I'll probably be hitting you up to sort  of take the lead on a few runs or rides.  Not like an every weekend kind of thing, but maybe every once in a while to just sort of play the role of a shepherd. 

Just warning you

I am happy to help. Just don't point the fast people my way.

2008-10-17 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

That is one SWEET jersey...btw, Bill I signed up for my Heat membership through the web page, everything seem to be working fine.  I received an email verifying membership and payment.  Just thought I would let you know.

Todd

2008-10-17 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1749486

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
msfugitivehunter - 2008-10-17 9:51 AM

That is one SWEET jersey...btw, Bill I signed up for my Heat membership through the web page, everything seem to be working fine.  I received an email verifying membership and payment.  Just thought I would let you know.

Todd

Excellent.  There probably won't be that much traffic on it quite yet, at least until after the meeting.  And Donovan is still working on some things, but it looks like it's going to turn out really well.

2008-12-11 3:56 PM

Veteran
Mississippi
Just found this thread. Glad to see it!
Becky
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MS Heat Triathlon Team Rss Feed