General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg training when you shouldn't be on your feet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-15 8:02 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: Leg training when you shouldn't be on your feet
i was told yesterday that i should pretty much stay off my feet until my torn ligament heals itself. Since i can't run or walk or pedal my bike like a normal person or push off the walls in the pool, i'm thinking i'm going to end up with lifting as my main exercise.

However, i'm not supposed to be on my feet. i'm guessing being on my feet while holding a lot of extra weight would be an even worse idea. What sorts of lifts can i do for legs that don't involve using my feet? i figure i can do leg presses as long as i'm careful with where i put the pressure, and i can do hamstring curls and leg extensions. Any other ideas?

2008-10-15 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1745682

DC Metro
Subject: RE: Leg training when you shouldn't be on your feet

How about deep water running?

Are you going to physical therapy?  

2008-10-16 6:08 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

TheSchwamm - 2008-10-15 9:02 PM i was told yesterday that i should pretty much stay off my feet until my torn ligament heals itself. Since i can't run or walk or pedal my bike like a normal person or push off the walls in the pool, i'm thinking i'm going to end up with lifting as my main exercise. However, i'm not supposed to be on my feet. i'm guessing being on my feet while holding a lot of extra weight would be an even worse idea. What sorts of lifts can i do for legs that don't involve using my feet? i figure i can do leg presses as long as i'm careful with where i put the pressure, and i can do hamstring curls and leg extensions. Any other ideas?

I think the key question here is "How long" are you off your feet? With an injury like you describe, I don't think its a very good idea to be doing any lower body lifting with that leg.  (I assume its only one leg) I know (from experience) its difficult to just "be inactive" after living a lifestyle full of activity, but even doing a relatively safe exercise for your foot could end up in re-injury.  IF you MUST do some lower body exercises, I suggest only using the one leg that is not injured (1leg squats, 1leg deadlifts, etc) your other leg with quickly catch back up on any strength you gained in the other leg (probably won't be anything noticable anyways) when your able to use it again.

But again, Heal up first unless your doctor gives you a specific set of exercises that are ok.

Btw leg presses sounds like a terrible idea.  Please don't do those.

2008-10-17 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1746462

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
The tear is in the ball of my foot. Leg presses would be a bad idea even if i keep my feet up and drive through my heels?

i'm potentially off my feet for a couple of years. They can't really give me a timeline for something like this.
2008-10-18 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Use an ankle attachment on the cables, lie on you side and experiment with different resistance motions and positions. You could also tone up those thighs too without being on your feet. It sounds like you could do some leg presses using your heels, however you have to decide using your best judgement. If you're capable of standing up with a couple of light weights above your shoulders, do a bunch of squats keeping your weight back on your heels and toes almost up a bit. But again, I don't exactly know just how limited you are. Best of luck during your recovery. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg training when you shouldn't be on your feet Rss Feed