General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Input on my current training plan needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-26 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: Input on my current training plan needed
I am training for a sprint tri in July.

Here is my current workout sched:

Sun: 17min swim free =750 yds
Mon: 2 mile run@ 10 min mile pace
Tues: 4-5 mile bike
Wed: same as Sunday
Th: Off
Fri: Bike/run brick: 4 mile bike, 1 mile run
sat: off

Input or advice needed. Once I can swim 20 mins, bike 30mins, and run 20 mins I will move to the 13 week sprint tri plan on this site. The biking is tough to schedule right now because the paths here are terrible. Once it warms up I plan on extending these, but indoor I can't do too much more than I am.

Advice wanted (though I'll take any):

Where should I work in weights? Which days?

Is this an efficient way to train?

Should I be running and swimming more? 3days/week? or is this enough for now?

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

Edited by lablover 2005-02-26 5:10 PM

2005-02-26 5:17 PM
in reply to: #122819

Subject: RE: Input on my current training plan needed
I cant really give you advice on how to improve your training as I am just training for my first sprint tri as well, but I have noticed great improvements with just swimming twice a week. It took about two weeks to even feel comfortable in the pool but now I improve a little everytime. I do run 3 times a week but I have incorporated a portion of the couch to 5k and it has been working wonders. I see constant improvement but never feel like I am over doing it like I did when I used to train for running in the army.
2005-02-26 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Have you thought about buying a bike trainer? You can get one at Performance for ~$100. That would let you bike indoors.

As far as your training plan, it looks reasonable as far as working up for the sprint program. How do you feel during the week? Does it feel like that is the most you can handle right now, or does it feel too easy? I would suggest trying to add more biking volume, it's a great way to build overall fitness w/o the impact of running.

What are the distances for your sprint?
2005-02-26 6:26 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Rob -
I think you'll be fine with the sprint in July and once you start the 13 week plan you should be on your way. One thing I would suggest at this point, feel free to concentrate more time on your "weakness." E.g. If you're less comfortable swimming and running is your strong point, it's OK to swim more and run less. Concentrate on skill/form work and endurance at this point. You may not need to do brick work this early, but I think it's great you've already done a few. Overall, I think your schedule is looks fine. I like the two days off. Any particular reason they are so close to each other? Don't worry about the bike too much... there's plenty of time between now and July for the weather to warm up. The best advice I can give is to have fun. Good luck in July.
2005-02-27 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Thanks for the advice all. I will check into the trainer, but I am a poor grad student and 100 dollars is about half my after rent pay. :-O I've been using the bikes at the university gyms but they are always crowded and have a 30 min limit . With warm up and warm down I can't get much in. I'll see if I can find a used trainer.

I feel that this is a pretty comfortable load right now. I did too much my 3rd week or so and ended up getting a cold for 10 days. So I would rather not do too much.

As far as my off-days: I really wanted two a week. Thursday I chose because of my class schedule and the strange hours that the pool at school is available. I suppose I could change Saturday though. I'll think about spacing them out more.

So should I not be doing bricks?

Anyone have any ideas on when to work some light weightwork in here?

I am paranoid of overdoing it after getting sick at the beginning of my plan.

Thanks again for the help. -Rob

Edited by lablover 2005-02-27 10:06 AM
2005-02-27 12:30 PM
in reply to: #122969

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Rob -
A couple of clarification points. I think it's great that you're taking two rest days during the week, I wouldn't be surprised if the plan you intend on doing has the same. Ultimately, you will need to let your schedule, other commitments, and your body dictate when you can take these days off. About the bricks, as a beginner it does seem a bit early for you to start incorporating them. Triathlon training is typically setup in Phases - Base, Build, Peak and Race. The Base period (which I anticipate you are in) is where you will build your endurance and aerobic foundation. Build Phase starts incorporating increased distances and strength. Peak phase moves towards race specific targets with speed sessions for race simulation. Race phase being your race season. Depending on how far apart your races are (and the distances your training for), you may cycle through these phases a couple of times. The most plans put brick workouts towards the end of the Build and Peak periods. Keep in mind, brick workouts are intended to prepare your body (and mind) for the needed transition from biking to running in a race situation. Because of this, they are typically later in your training plan. A person could also risk injury and illness if they attempt to do too much too early. A fact I'm sure you're well aware of. At this point concentrate on your endurance and skill/form work. Feel free to do two workouts a day (provided you feel rested enough to handle both of them). At this point I don't believe there's any reason to do bricks, unless your schedule requires it. Just don't go out too fast on the run after your bike. Keep in mind that the hardest part for most beginners is being patient and incorporating rest in their training. Just my opinion...Hope that helps.

2005-02-27 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Super. Thanks McCobu for all your help. I will try to break up the bike/run on Fridays. I have Fridays off this semester do I can do that easily-especially once the weather gets better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Input on my current training plan needed Rss Feed