General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Running Safety (without sacrificing fitness) in NYC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-02 5:43 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Subject: Winter Running Safety (without sacrificing fitness) in NYC
I recently moved to NYC and run in Central Park 3-4 times a week in the evenings after work. Til now, daylight hasn't been an issue. However, I want to stay safe without sacrificing my fitness now that daylight is scarce. I always take my longer run (2 hours or so) on the weekends, but like to fit in a few hour-long or so runs during the week. This can't be done without running in the dark- anyone have any insights on this issue? Women out there with a similar issue: How have you dealt with it? And on a more philosophical level: how have you mentally dealt with the unfortunately inevitable safety issue/fear all female runners have to confront? I know it's important not to run with headphones on, to stay in populated areas, etc... I just want to educate myself a little more on this, especially being new to the city. I also don't want fear to get in the way of my training (I have been running faster and farther than I ever thought I could and have to say I am very proud of that fact and want to keep it up...)

Thanks guys.

2008-11-05 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1781992

Subject: RE: Winter Running Safety (without sacrificing fitness) in NYC

Hi there,

I saw this note and thought of your post. I'll paste it in here. I hope it helps!

Sara

SBR EVENTS

Wednesday Night Runs in Central Park
Arrive at 7:15pm to warm up and stretch. The run starts promptly at 7:30pm.
Meet SBR Club members and other NY athletes.  Get training and race tips and have fun after work in New York's scenic Central Park.  We often mix things up with interval workouts, hill repeats, tempo or trail runs.  Come dressed and ready to run- the store closes at 7:30pm!

http://www.sbrshop.com/calendar/index.php?utm_medium=email&utm_source=buzz&utm_campaign=buzz20081105&utm_term=events

2008-11-09 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I've been running in NYC for 9 years and have done much of it in the dark either early in the morning or at night. I try to stay in wide open areas so I prefer the Hudson River path to Central Park unless I'm with a running partner. If the path isn't convenient, you could always stay on streets if you can navigate the pedestrians.I actually love to run at night and feel safe doing so, but you do need to be more aware. Don't let fear keep you from training. It's just as safe to run here as anywhere else, and maybe even moreso because of the number of people on the streets.You may want to find a running partner, join some group runs or a running class for the winter. New York Road Runners may have something and you can look for a partner through them. The Running Center is also good, along with JackRabbit Sports.Another (pricier) option is to join a tri club so you can train with them.Good luck and enjoy winter training in NYC, our weather is actually really good for it!
2008-11-10 12:45 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
If you don't mind running hills...I do alot of my crappy, winter weather runs inside a parking garage.   Well lit, security, covered roof, usually warmer than outside.  Run up ramps, walk down stairs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Running Safety (without sacrificing fitness) in NYC Rss Feed