General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helping bling triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-10 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
Subject: Helping bling triathletes
I was wondering if anyone knew of any organizations that are looking for volunteers to help blind or disabled athletes finsh triathlons or running races. I have always been interested in being a guide and help fullfill someones dream.

2008-11-10 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1800750

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Helping bling triathletes
Oh...I thought maybe it was to help out triathletes that were laden down by their diamonds!! Seriously, great idea but I have no idea. 
2008-11-10 7:31 PM

User image

Google CAF, Challenged Athlete Foundation
2008-11-10 7:53 PM

User image

Medford, NJ
Subject: RE: Helping blind triathletes
www.myteamtriumph.com

I just found the link... They mention the Hoyts, so it may be a good group to work with.

They have equipment, which may be a big help
2008-11-11 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

HERE YOU GO... http://www.cdifferent.org/

They will tell you to contact your LOCAL organizations and see if they know of anyone that would be interested in some help, AFTER that you would then contact cdifferent for help, guidance, etc...  I am going through that whole process right now...

2008-11-11 10:58 AM

Veteran
NC

x 2 on looking locally. 

I'm a single above knee amputee, and I usually have between one and four people helping me out on race day.  They need to be people I know and trust, though, because they have to do things like make sure my legs are in the right places at the right times.  For a race that has T1 and T2 in different areas, this is logistically challenging and I trust my handlers to worry about it so I don't have to.

Additionally, USAT rules allow physically challenged athletes to have one handler on the course with them at all times.  Again, I only want to race with someone I trust and someone who knows me very well.  They are providing a physical service by carrying stuff for my legs, but a good coach/handler/volunteer can be an immense support mentally.  

In the day to day grind of training, I don't really need a lot assistance, but it is nice to have a training buddy.  I'm slower on the bike and run, for example, than most people, so I do a lot my training alone.  It is helpful to have someone ride with me so I can catch a tire, draft a little, and push the pace without worrying about burnout.  

CAF is a kicka$$ organization.  For challenged athletes, equipment costs prohibit participation in sports.  My running leg, for example, cost in excess of $50,000.  That's one leg.  Think about someone who wants a handcycle ($$$).  Anyway, CAF is essentially involved in fund raising and distributing equipment grants.      

2008-11-11 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1800814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Subject: RE: Helping blind triathletes
RNH - 2008-11-10 7:53 PM

www.myteamtriumph.com

I just found the link... They mention the Hoyts, so it may be a good group to work with.

They have equipment, which may be a big help

+1 for MTT. This is a local group for me and I know most of the people doing it. A great group of people doing a great thing. I'm hoping to do 1 or 2 races with them next summer.
2008-11-11 11:34 AM

Expert
haha i thought this thread was about grills, chains and rings

get crunk...
2008-11-11 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1801781

Veteran
NC

There's a bling sale in Raleigh soon. 

Accessorize thug-style, thanks to the state

RALEIGH - In the world of gangster jewelry, nothing says "bling" quite like a diamond-studded crucifix, a golden pit bull, or a jewel-encrusted gorilla.

Seized from drug dealers, some items appraised at more than $35,000 apiece, this collection of ill-gotten trinkets goes up for bid on Thursday -- everyone welcome.

The N.C. Department of Revenue will hawk nearly 200 pieces of confiscated goods by public auction for the first time in nine years, hoping to win back as much as $500,000.

Too timid for a pair of Tweety Bird and Tasmanian Devil charms dangling from a gold chain?

"There is stuff in here that ordinary people would like," said Jill Lucas, spokeswoman for the state Department of Administration, pointing to a ladies' Rolex appraised at $10,800. "I would not be at all offended if somebody bought me that watch."

The merchandise was all taken through the state's unauthorized substance tax, which levies penalties against anyone caught with more than 42.5 grams of marijuana, 7 grams of cocaine or 7 grams of heroin.

2008-11-11 12:58 PM

Veteran

After two NYC marathons, I ran a third with a physically challenged athlete through the Achilles track club (http://www.achillestrackclub.org).   In addition to helping out, when I did this years ago, I got to start before the official race start.  It was pretty amazing on Fourth Avenue in Brooklyn when the lead pack came through.

A great day and a great overall experience.  I was glad to help.

Also, if you are very fast, you can help a blind runner.  Many are extremely fast, and you will have to keep up with them.  If you are not fast, I am sure there will be someone you can help.

Gordon

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helping bling triathletes Rss Feed