Steve Prescott
40sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 25m 3s
Overall Rank = 4th/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Jim was up early, worked out and went to race since he was involved with the street closure. I planned on meeting him with the kids at 9am Ate a bowl of cereal and Diet Coke and headed to race.
Event warmup:

Ran about 10-15 mins before race and stretched. The weather was horrible, cold wet and windy rain. It was felt it was getting colder by the minute.
Run
  • 25m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

My last 5k I ran at a 8.23 pace, so I was trying to run faster, When I started out I thought I was slow for some reason, but I think some people just ran out too fast. I knew there were several girls in front of me and my goal was too pass as much as I could, this seems to work for my husband and he always just blows these races out of the water. I passed three girls within the first mile and half and felt stronger. I knew there were three more girls in front of me, two were teenagers and one looked about my age. At the two mile mark, they were getting closer but unfortunately, the last mile was one giant freakin uphill run. I pushed it and one teenager just started to run faster and finished at 7.73 pace. The second women finished at 8.00 and I was on the heels of the third girl who finished I think one second in front of me. Of course, I finished with the dry heaves, which sucks but I was happy and cold.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, but I will get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

walked into church hall and changed into warmer clothes but I was still super cold, waited for my award and headed to Starbucks and home for a real hot shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The course was hilly, I would like to find a flat 5k to see how fast I can run. But I live in KY and I think there is only one 5K left next month which I know is not flat. Plus the weather was crappy, I don't think it was a factor but it sure made for a miserable run.

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:03 | 03.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Started at St. Barbara's church and ran up and down Turkeyfoot.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes