General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Springs: Need advice on where to swim laps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-21 3:36 PM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
Subject: Colorado Springs: Need advice on where to swim laps
I'm going to be in The Springs over the holidays and was hoping someone could give me some advice on good places to swim laps. Also are there any good places to run near the cotton woodcreek rec area?  thanks for any help you can give

2008-11-21 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1820530

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Colorado Springs: Need advice on where to swim laps
I live all the way on the other side of the city, but it seems like either the Briargate or Garden Ranch YMCAs would be places to swim. There is also some kind of major fitness facility near Woodmen and Powers. For running you can drive over to the Pikes Peak Greenway/Santa Fe trail. It's about a quarter mile west of I-25 & Woodmen Road. The trailhead is just past the top of a bridge. You can run either north or south for about 20 miles in each direction. The trail also connects with various other trails if you're adventureous. Eventually there will be a trail connecting to the Cottonwood Creek rec area, but it's only partially complete in spots at this time. In the immediate vicinity most of the running would be on sidewalks and it's quite hilly. There may be a path near the creek, but I don't think it goes very far.
2008-11-22 9:35 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon

Thanks for the info Don. I'll search the YMCA's and check out their lap times. The trail sounds great I can probably find some sort of map on line. Hey thanks again, Dirk

2008-11-22 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Here is a link to Colorado Springs trails: City of Colorado Springs - Topic Pages
2008-11-24 11:34 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Hi - check out 24 Hr Fitness - a friend told me they are free right now to everyone, until Christmas. Don't know if there's a catch but I was under the impression that there is not. There is one at Austin Bluffs/Academy - just about 3 miles from Cottonwood Creek.

The Y's pools seem to almost always be packed - one of the reasons I switched from them to another club and have maintained my 24 Hr Fitness one (Got a really good deal on it, but not going there much right now)

For running - also about 3 miles away - there is Palmer Park - good variety of dirt road, road, great 'real' trails, and some really tame ones, all in the middle of town. (Corner Union/Austin Bluffs, on the map)

But for easy navigation try the Santa Fe trail - goes N/S for miles and miles - a bit boring but a very popular place to run and bike.
2008-11-25 11:47 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon

Thanks Helen,

I'll give 24 hr fitness a call

thanks again,  dirk

2008-11-30 8:52 PM

User image

my husband (kilodave) and I live very close to Cottonwood and there is a good trail for running right there. Swimming would be maybe the cottonwood rec center there or the briargate YMCA is probably the closest. The new facility is Villa Sport, very nice and has a pool but I am not sure if there was some sort of daily cost for pool use. Enjoy the Springs while you are here....it has been snowing all day today, so you never know the weather you will have....bring you YAKTRAKS
2008-12-01 12:20 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
FYI - Cottonwood Creek's rec center pool isn't lap friendly at all - there's a wave pool, a slide, and a lazy river that's usually packed w/kids. If it's empty i guess you can swim against the current for a really good workout, but it's pretty curvy. There isn't a regular pool.
Here's a pic: http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=5580

Villa Sport wouldn't be free to try. I'm a member and can get you in for a price but the best bet is still 24Hr if the deal my friend mentioned was real. You can always beg Villa Sport - maybe they'd have lenience for a visiting athlete!

If you get stuck, let me know, maybe I can get you into one or the other for not too much.

-Helen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Springs: Need advice on where to swim laps Rss Feed