General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Georgia! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-06 10:00 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Hello from Georgia!

I am new to everything about this!  I love to bike, but the running and swimming are foreign to me.  I watched my husband (and others) do a duathlon this weekend and I really was inspired.  I haven't ran since I was in high school - and even then I didn't like it much because of the pain of shin splints I was plagued with.  I have decided to do the "couch to 5k" training program to get myself in shape - I would like to be able to do a 5k in October (I am taking the conservative approach to training because I am about 30 lbs overweight). 

Two other goals that I have are to run/bike in the same duathlon that my husband did this weekend next year and to ride in RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) in July 2006.  Ragbrai (for those who don't know) is a week long ride that takes you about 500 miles across the state of Iowa, starting at the Missouri river and ending up at the Mississippi river.

I have no idea if I can do this, but I open for anything!  Let the training begin!

2005-03-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #126190

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: RE: Hello from Georgia!
Welcome!  It's great that you want to start to be more like your husband.  He sounds like a handsome, intelligent, and all around great guy.

I can't wait to see how you progress and get better.
2005-03-07 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,

Sara,

Welcome to BT.  I am sure you will find much help and motivation in acheving your goals here.  We have members that take their time in getting ready for the first tri, and others who jump right in and plan to do one only weeks or months after starting.  It seems as tho you have given thought to your goals.  Good luck with them all, and if you ever need any help, don't hesitate to ask.  Someone here can answer just about every question you can think up.

Dirk

2005-03-07 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Ragbrai (for those who don't know) is a week long ride that takes you about 500 miles across the state of Iowa

Welcome! We have a similar ride here in GA called BRAG. You and you hubby should check it out.

www.brag.org

2005-03-08 9:49 PM

Good luck with your goals. I am sure you can do this. I went from couch potato to half-ironman (woman) in two years time. Although I would definitely meet with a nutritionist if you are hoping to lose weight while doing all this exercise. I had a trainer that was great at planning my workouts and I finished all of my events without ever incurring an injury; however, I only lost 5 pounds because her plan had me eating carbs every 3 hours ALL OF THE TIME. Not that I don't feel like all that exercise was worthwhile. Surely I became much stronger and will live longer because of my effort, but if I could do it over I would have met with a nutritionist to make sure that I was eating the right foods for weight loss.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Georgia! Rss Feed