Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Browser Crashes when importing from Garmin 305 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-03 1:08 PM

User image

Regular
in a pool, on a bike, or up the trail
Subject: Browser Crashes when importing from Garmin 305

I got my shiny new Garmin 305 yesterday. I was very excited to use it on my 10k run this morning, as well as my bike commute to work. I couldn't wait to get to work and test out the import to BT process.

I downloaded and installed the Garmin Communicator. yay

I logged into BT and my Calendar. yay

I clicked on the Import button and the device was found. yay

It read my run data. yay

I clicked the upload link...

and Firefox crashed.

so did IE7.

BOOOOO! Yell

The crash information says:

Problem Event Name: BEX
Fault Module Name: npGarmin.dll

Seems odd it was crash both browsers. FWIW, I'm using Vista Basic. 

I'm starting in the BT forums to see if there is a known solution? I'll try Garmin forums as well, but I can't find even a hint of a link by doing a Google search. It's as if the rest of the world doesn't even know there IS a npGarmin.dll file.

2008-12-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1836804

User image

Franklin, Wi
Subject: RE: Browser Crashes when importing from Garmin 305
Interesting that it was very similar to what I posted about a few days ago. However, I think that my problem was that I had a single corrupted file from my 305, because I was able to succesfully upload other runs. I just deleted that particular activity from the history right on the device. Good Luck, and keep working on it, as it is a great tool, and this is a very nice site.

GUS
2008-12-03 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

npGarmin.dll is the name of Garmin Communicator in your file system, so the problem is definitely happening in the Garmin software.

I'd try completely uninstalling Garmin Communicator and any other Garmin software you have and reinstalling, then trying the upload again.

Also try testing it at the Garmin Test pages:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

http://developer.garmin.com/web/communicator-api/apidemo/garminDeviceControlDemo.html

2008-12-03 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
in a pool, on a bike, or up the trail

OK, I've tried quite a few things and here's what I've found so far:

• I have three files, one running and two cycling.
  • The running file causes the browser to crash in BT and in the developer test page (thanks for the link!)
  • The cycling files cause BT to time out, popping up an error message and suggesting I send the files to support@beginner... (which I have not yet done).
  • I have uninstalled/reinstalled everything; no change
  • The running file shows up as MultiSport in the Garmin Training Center software.
  • All files upload OK in MotionBased, EXCEPT...
  • The running file in MB does NOT contain the AutoLap splits
  • If I export the running file from Training Center and then import to MotionBased, the AutoLap splits show up.
  • As far as I know, I can't upload the export files into BT... it only connects directly to the unit?

I'm wondering if that running file being categorized incorrectly as mutisport is the culprit. I think I switched modes back and forth, but that was before I ever hit the start button.

I have no idea what to do about any of it. Just sharing in case it can help somebody else out. I'll send the files to support as requested. I'll keep playing around and see if I can find out what's causing that DLL file to crash. I'll also try importing some other workouts in the next few days.

Quite frankly, it's not a deal-breaker for BT. I was a happy Silver member before I even decided to buy the Garmin. I'm here for the forums and workout plans and I only record overall time/distance and use other software for more detailed logging and analysis.

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Browser Crashes when importing from Garmin 305 Rss Feed