General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 82

2009-11-09 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1842836

User image

Regular
in a pool, on a bike, or up the trail
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Well, I did it. 13:15:08. It was a rough day from the moment the cannon went off, and I was nowhere near my race prediction of sub-12 hours, but that was only a secondary goal. The goals when I signed up were met: I finished and I ran more than I walked (16/10).

Now I have a question. Does anybody else still have their blue wristband on? I'm all the way home back in NC, and two days later, I still can't seem to bring myself to take mine off. To strangers I must look like I escaped from a hospital ward!

Congrats everyone!

2009-11-09 8:03 PM

User image

So happy...finished, nearly made my goal time, and am still alive and kicking. It's a blur, but also very real in my head right now. I'm editing a video my partner shot of the race...will put it up soon. Congrats to all of you finishers and non-finishers alike. You set a goal. Some of you achieved it, some did not, but setting that goal and working for it is the step that the rest of the world did not take...the step that you were brave enough to take. You all rock! WE all rock!
2009-11-09 8:44 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Had a pretty good race. This was my second IMFL, first in 2007, where I did 12:53.  This year I was shooting for 10:45 and was on track for that until the second loop of the run.  Had a decent swim for the conditions, surprised myself on the bike, held a good pace for the first loop then BAM...every muscle in my body started to cramp!!!  From there on out it was damage control   I am proud of 11:01 finish, but of course will be using what I learned for IMFL 2010!!!!  WOOHOO.   Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you - had quite a stressful weekend juggling family and trying to chill, but it sounds like it was a good day for BT
2009-11-09 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
What can I say my first IM was without a doubt one of the best days of my life. The goal was to finish and I did in 16:02:30. Had to walk the last 10 miles due to an ankle injury in mile 15 but I finished and was proud it was so hard and I met so many amazing people along the way! Special thanks to Socks and Cathy G adn the BT crew who made me feel so welcome to the IM family! Looking forward to reading everyone's RR to compare notes on the waves and wind out there! Can't wait to do the next one!!!! Congrats to all who competed!Laughing
2009-11-09 10:30 PM

I hate I didn't find this forum until the week before IMFL while looking for suggestions for special needs bags. I did get a lot of inspiration from the folks on here reading through this thread during the days leading up to the event.

Anyway, I had a wonderful time completing my first Ironman. I knew my training wasn't all it should be, so I was nervous about that and therefore had some very basic goals:
1. Finish before midnight
2. Finish with a smile, feeling good
3. Finish with some time to spare, feeling good.

I was far back in the pack starting with the swim, which I feared the most. I made the swim cutoff with about 25 minutes to spare, had a decent but slow bike, and surprised myself by running about 16 or 17 miles of the run. I was able to run the last mile strong and finish at what felt like a sprint in 14:26.

I met a lot of great folks along the way, even if I didn't get a lot of "hang time" between keeping up with kids and almost missing every single deadline there was.

I was amazed at the level of support at the event and how well run it seemed to me. I can only think of a couple small improvements that could be made.

-The park on the run turnaround was so dark it was dangerous. There really should be better lighting out there. That was a desolate place, especially the second time around.

-The finish is a mess now, in my opinion. I'd rather take my chances with an actual finish photograph, which I assume they don't do now. It was anti-climatic to go through the chute and immediately deal with all kinds of details about standing in line for an official photo, trying to figure out how to get a massage (I gave up, but I wasn't 100% mentally) and finding my way out to my frantic family. I know it's a challenge to handle such a large crowd and a large number of participants, but there just seems to be too much separation from the spectators at the end now.

Overall, it only pales in comparison to the births of my children. I'm still a little stunned that I pulled it off. I actually woke up from a nap today and for a few seconds thought this past weekend was a dream and I still had to do the IM!

Anyway, congratulations everybody. I might go volunteer next year just to be involved. Keep Tri-ing!

Neil

2009-11-10 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Did anyone see cheating going on during the race?  I saw lots of drafting on the bike (and I actually saw folks getting red cards - which surprised me given the history on this race).  On the swim, I saw a guy with a snorkel and another guy with hand paddle glove thingies.  I couldn't believe it!  I was looking for someone with fins, but didn't see that.

2009-11-10 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2506325

User image

Birmingham, Al
JPS0135 - 2009-11-10 8:31 AM Did anyone see cheating going on during the race?  I saw lots of drafting on the bike (and I actually saw folks getting red cards - which surprised me given the history on this race).  On the swim, I saw a guy with a snorkel and another guy with hand paddle glove thingies.  I couldn't believe it!  I was looking for someone with fins, but didn't see that.

A Snorkel!   That is insane.  Who would feel good about themselves for finishing the ironman using a snorkel on the swim? 
2009-11-10 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
There are some interesting threads on ST about the cheating on the bike.  One guy actually had video cameras mounted on his bike and helmet - and has video of the peletons!  Amazing!
2009-11-10 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City Beach
JPS0135 - 2009-11-10 8:31 AM Did anyone see cheating going on during the race?  I saw lots of drafting on the bike (and I actually saw folks getting red cards - which surprised me given the history on this race).  On the swim, I saw a guy with a snorkel and another guy with hand paddle glove thingies.  I couldn't believe it!  I was looking for someone with fins, but didn't see that.

In regards to the snorkel, I was out on my kayak and saw 2 snorkels, a set of fins, etc.  I was told that you can have a snorkel w/ a medical condition.  The fins I saw ended up being a challenged athlete.  It was hard to judge but they told us ahead of time that they would be out there.  

The drafting happens every year down here.  No answer to that one...

2009-11-10 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Here is u tube link for bike video and here is another one that is worse.

There were a number of folks I saw DQed plus some others with line over their number so some penalties given. The penalty tent in transition had 4 pages of folks that had come in to serve their time.

Snorkels are legal in tris normally.

Edited by KathyG 2009-11-10 9:50 AM
2009-11-10 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

JPS0135 - 2009-11-10 9:31 AM Did anyone see cheating going on during the race?  I saw lots of drafting on the bike (and I actually saw folks getting red cards - which surprised me given the history on this race).  On the swim, I saw a guy with a snorkel and another guy with hand paddle glove thingies.  I couldn't believe it!  I was looking for someone with fins, but didn't see that.

I think the snorkels are allowed.  There was guy with ALS they allowed fins and paddles I think. 

Saw lots of drafting.  There was one chick I dubbed Soledad the cheater because she was drafting almost constantly.  WHen she was NOT cheating I could pass her.  Eventually it thinned out enough I could pass her cheating drafting butt for good!!!

2009-11-10 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
"I think the snorkels are allowed."  Interesting.  Didn't know this, especially after they said during the pre-race meeting that you couldn't use them. 

Oh well - at the end of the day it's all about personal integrity.  You make the decision to cheat or not ot cheat.  I rested well Saturday night knowing that I didn't cheat. 
2009-11-10 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA
There was tons of drafting in the race. It really pissed me off. I was in the head wind and passed a group. I was cruising along nicely. i turn around and look behind me and there are about 20 riders sucking my wind. I quickly dropped off, let them go about 5 miles and when they slowed i passed them. I trained for this and if they couldn't screw them!
2009-11-10 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

JPS0135 - 2009-11-10 9:31 AM Did anyone see cheating going on during the race?  I saw lots of drafting on the bike (and I actually saw folks getting red cards - which surprised me given the history on this race).  On the swim, I saw a guy with a snorkel and another guy with hand paddle glove thingies.  I couldn't believe it!  I was looking for someone with fins, but didn't see that.

Unfortunately I saw a lot of blatant drafting.  A guy actually had cameras on his bike and is posting videos of some of the pelotons http://www.youtube.com/user/gbobholmes

Some of it was unavoidable because of the number of bikes, nature of the course and mass start, but when people are sitting up and coasting on HWY 20 into that headwind I think it looked more like a big group ride than an Ironman bike.  I actually had one guy on my wheel that wouldnt get off.  I finally slowed down to about 15mph and he passed me and then I passed him while he was drafting off of someone else.  

Hey, it is an individual sport no one is getting paid but the pros, and if that is how these people want to 'remember' their Ironman experience oh well.  I know that my time was legit and was all because of me, not sucking off of someone else's wheel.

Regarding the swim... On the second loop were you supposed to swim to the first buoy or did you only have to go around the red turn buoys?

2009-11-10 11:17 AM

User image

Birmingham, Al
Well, in the case of the physically challenged that is understandable and I think it is awesome and motivating that they are in the race.  As far as the people who are normal I don't think it is right to use anything other than your arms and legs.
2009-11-10 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2506760

User image

Regular
in a pool, on a bike, or up the trail
brobinson - 2009-11-10 12:01 PM

Some of it was unavoidable because of the number of bikes, nature of the course and mass start, but when people are sitting up and coasting on HWY 20 into that headwind I think it looked more like a big group ride than an Ironman bike.

I agree. If you look at the swim times or even just video or pics, we all come into transition in a bell curve, with masses of joe-average swimmers getting out of the water and onto the bikes at the same time. That's going to lead to large groups of riders on the road at the same time and it takes a long time for the varying rider speeds to spread out.

I am only an average swimmer but a very strong rider. So I passed over 400 people on the bike, even though I was riding a standard road bike with no aero equipment. And most of those 400 were in the first 50 miles into the wind. In a lot of cases, there were so many bikes in my way I didn't have much of a choice but to come up behind someones wheels and squeeze through. I got into a lot of places where there simply wasn't enough room to follow the rules to the strictest. I did my best to stay as far as I safely could.

From my point of view, most of the riders did the same as me... spread out as much as they could. But there were definitely quite a few blatant drafters, including two by the names of Ricardo and Eduardo. They looked like they could be brothers and definitely knew each other. I'd pass them, making sure I was going fast enough they couldn't hop my wheel. And then a few minutes later they'd come cruising up, drafting each other, or both behind somebody else, and pass me again. Then they'd fall off for one reason or another and I'd have to go around them again, only to see them once more draft back ahead again. This pattern repeated literally dozens of times. At one point there was a group of about seven others along with these two jokers and I was once again trying to get around all of them, practically across the yellow line and into the oncoming lane. The 'group' (including me) got warned as we passed one of the Penalty Box tents. I was getting pretty irritated because I was doing my best to stay away.

I did see one of those two later on the run, and he was quite far behind me and walking, so I felt better about it. LOL

I just remind myself that Karma gets us all in the end.

2009-11-10 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2506760

User image

Veteran
Panama City Beach
brobinson - 2009-11-10 11:01 AM

Unfortunately I saw a lot of blatant drafting.  A guy actually had cameras on his bike and is posting videos of some of the pelotons http://www.youtube.com/user/gbobholmes

Some of it was unavoidable because of the number of bikes, nature of the course and mass start, but when people are sitting up and coasting on HWY 20 into that headwind I think it looked more like a big group ride than an Ironman bike.  I actually had one guy on my wheel that wouldnt get off.  I finally slowed down to about 15mph and he passed me and then I passed him while he was drafting off of someone else.  

Hey, it is an individual sport no one is getting paid but the pros, and if that is how these people want to 'remember' their Ironman experience oh well.  I know that my time was legit and was all because of me, not sucking off of someone else's wheel.

Regarding the swim... On the second loop were you supposed to swim to the first buoy or did you only have to go around the red turn buoys?

[/QUOTE

I was on the outside of buoy one...as you made the second loop you were to go around the first buoy.  Many cut the corner as the kayaker we had on the inside got overwhelmed w/ the # of people cutting the corner.  The crew inside were finally able to get it under control...
2009-11-10 12:06 PM

User image

Master

I passed the guy swimming with the snorkel. I'm a slow swimmer who usually places in the bottom of the swim ranks. The waves probably made it difficult for the swimmer who was using the snorkel.  It would be more of a hinderance for me than a help. Plus I can't even imagine what sighting would be like using a snorkel.

At the end of the day we all have to live with the decisions we made on the course. I can proudly say I earned my Ironman status during the race alone.

2009-11-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2506950

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Congrats to all!

To the person who asked about still wearing the IM bracelet, I am also still wearing mine =)

Saw a few draft packs myself out there - one pack of about 10 people passed me and I cursed, but then a second later an official passed me and burned them all down and I lol'd.

Finished in 12:42:08, had a great swim and bike and was on track for an 11:15 but a really tough run nutitionally shut me down. I learned a lot, reflected a lot, and now know what I need to work on for IMAZ next year =)

Oh and I spent waaaay to much money in the IM tent after
2009-11-10 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA
Does anyone know if there are going to be watch me finish video's of this race?
2009-11-10 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2506899

User image

Veteran
Virginia

VolsFan - 2009-11-10 12:48 PM

I was on the outside of buoy one...as you made the second loop you were to go around the first buoy.  Many cut the corner as the kayaker we had on the inside got overwhelmed w/ the # of people cutting the corner.  The crew inside were finally able to get it under control...

Thats what I thought, and I did go around the 1st buoy on the second lap.  People were saying it didnt matter, but I rembember a little bit about geometry and that cutting a corner out is definately a shorter distance than going around it. So how would it be a 2.4 mile swim 'either way'?  They should have covered that better in the mandatory meeting.  Oh wait they covered drafting pretty thoroughly and that didn't help

Regardless, it was an amazing day and one that I will never forget.

Thanks for volunteering! 

Edited by brobinson 2009-11-10 2:38 PM

2009-11-10 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Those drafting videos that are being posted on ST are pretty horrendous, however the usual ST banter is pretty amusing. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at next years race.
2009-11-10 8:18 PM

Soledad the Cheater.  I was riding around her pace for the latter part of the bike.  She clung on to my wheel very close a few miles before the last rest stop.  I peeled off at the rest stop and she was on her own or at least until she hopped onto someone else.

It was my first and it was a good day!  12:26.  Goal was to finish and I was pretty sure I could do 13:30, but I just stuck to my plan and let the day play out.  I was able to run the last five miles and I felt great the whole day.  My only regret is I must have over hydrated and ended up having to stop too many times at the rest stops.
2009-11-10 8:55 PM

User image

Master
NJ

What a great day!!!! It was great to meet up with many of you - I would love to see the finish line video when they get it up  but I havn't been able to find it yet. Hey, does anyone know what would've happened if the race was Sunday? The town of PCB closed all the beaches so who over rules who? Just curious...We had a Mon. night flight out but were afraid of being stranded b/c of Ida. Decided to rent a car and drive to Atlanta to make sure we got out. Not fun and as far as I know, all the flights were still on out of PC airport.

oh, bracelet is still on.

Edited by kristinc0916 2009-11-10 8:56 PM
2009-11-11 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2507960

User image

Crested Butte

Funny, I ran into Soledad early in the bike; was able to drop her and later I had her come by when she was hugging the wheels of two riders. I was able to drop her again only to see her again later, drafting someone new. There were more of those out there including two husband wife "teams" where it was obvious the husband was a strong rider and the wife was not. Both were pulling their wives at over 20 mph. As for the swim, you were supposed to go outside the first yellow bouy on the 2nd lap but many didn't. Nice thread, too bad I just found it now. Fun race, I'm not thrilled with the cheaters but anymore you run into that no matter the race, no matter the distance.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 82