General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training (aka 'never say never' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-08 2:41 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: marathon training (aka 'never say never'
last week i FINALLY received my registration form for the bjorklund half-marathon (www.grandmasmarathon.com/gary_bjorklund). its HARD to get into the race and i had been told that the day it came, i should fill it out, write the check, and RUN to the post office. the address on my self-addressed envelope was goofy (read SELF addressed, so my fault) so it got to my house a few days later than it otherwise would have. my chances off getting in are slim. long story short, i rushed to get it in the mail. walking briskly to the post office with the sealed envelope containing my registration and check, my kids in tow, i had a thought...

'did i fill out the form for the 1/2, or the FULL marathon???????'

i resolved then NOT to open the envelope to find out. if it was for the full, and i got in, i was starting my training the next day. well, it wasn't for the full, but for the 1/2. still don't know if i got in, BUT...

this made me realize that, eventually...maybe not this season...but eventually, i want to do a marathon. there, i said it! last year, when i started running, i believed i would never like it, much less love it. when i starting my tri training, i told my i husband i wouldn't do anything crazy, like a 1/2 marathon. four months later i ran my first 1/2 marathon and now i'm hoping to do 3 this season. so, i've learned never to say never. like centuries and a 1/2 im, a marathon may need to wait until my kids are a bit older...but at least the seed has been planted.

for those who have done marathons - what are your runs like each week? what is your longest run before the event. over the course of an average week, how many hours do you spend on training (both including and not including tri training, since i'm sure they overlap).

2005-03-08 2:55 PM
in reply to: #126862

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: marathon training (aka 'never say never'

I started as a beginner last summer, and ran a marathon in mid-october last year. I followed a 16 week plan from runners world that peaked with a 20 mile long run three weeks prior to the marathon.  Here's the link - if it doesn't work, go to runnersworld.com and look for it under the "marathoning" section. This is just one plan, but it may give you an idea. Good luck!

-Rob

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-56-0-633,00.html

2005-03-08 2:56 PM
in reply to: #126870

User image

molto veloce mama
cool. thanks.
2005-03-08 3:15 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

autumn - 2005-03-08 1:41 PM for those who have done marathons - what are your runs like each week? what is your longest run before the event. over the course of an average week, how many hours do you spend on training (both including and not including tri training, since i'm sure they overlap).

Typical week, run only:

• Monday: rest/recovery (pretty easy so far, eh?)
  • Tuesday: 1 mile warm-up, 4 mile at LT pace (8:20 est), 1 mile cool down
  • Wednesday: 45 minutes eliptical trainer
  • Thursday: eight-mile run, marathon goal pace (MP)
  • Friday: 45 minutes eliptical trainer in am, speed work in afternoon (Yasso 800s)
  • Saturday: No run
  • Sunday: Long Slow distance, first 75% about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes slower than MP, last 25% at MP. I like to increase my mileage every other week, scaling back to 14 on the weeks in between, typically last ten weeks goes 18, 14, 20, 14, 22, 14, 20, 14, 8, marathon.

Tri-training

Remember I've been doing 5-6 centuries during the season, and added tris mid-summer last year:

I would also ride my bike M, W,  and Th, various lengths and intensities (can provide details if you like), long ride (typically 70-80 miles_ on Saturday.

I would swim  on  MWF, typically less than an hour before my  ET workout. Late in the tri-season I was doing a swim/bike workout on Saturday as well.

Sounds like a lot, it is a commitment, I wouldn't try to run a marathon on much less than 40 MPW. Add tri training to that and you may not have much room for a life.

2005-03-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: #126872

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome decision, you wont regret it. Training for and running Marathons is a blast. The runners' world schedule is good. Also check out Hal Higdon's schedules http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm4 days running per week, long weekend run and a lengthy midweek run. You top out somewhere near 35-40 miles in the biggest week of the program. Timewise, well do the math...40 x your pace, plus stretching, etc. Its a big commitment. His schedule has you running exclusively, but he advises one day of crosstraining per week.

Don't worry about speedwork, racepace, LT, or any of that junk for your first marathon. Worry about getting in your runs and listening to your body so you stay healthy. Also, schedules are great, but don't be a slave to one. Adapt it to your body, but don't cut the long runs. I found that 1) you can shorten the midweek runs (Higdon tops you out at like 10, I topped out at about 7.5) and still get across the finish line. You can also drop one run per week and still survive (I often dropped one run on Long run weeks). However you cut it you're still going to run A LOT in training.

Pepper in some biking, LSD kind of rides: its great for flushing the legs and great aerobically w/o pounding the joints. Same with the swimming--plus if you go after a run, the cool water of the pool really helps recovery in the legs---I'm talking an EASY swim after a short run, not serious training or doing kick drills after your 20 miler. I'm talking just some easy pool time.

When I ran a couple marathons in 02 and 03, I wasnt swimming yet and just started cycling. So, I can't offer how to train for a Mary in the midst of tri training. I suppose you COULD follow an Ironman program, just really really cut back the bike and swim miles to fit your tri plans. Dunno, trying to figure it out myself. Good luck and enjoy.
2005-03-08 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Congratulations!
Finishing your first marathon is one of the most exciting experiences ever!
I followed a novice training from Hal Higdon page. It worked like a charm!
Do not worry about the time, Do your miles, go very easy pace on your long runs.
I liked this training because it calls for 4 days running, 1 day crosstraining. (To be hoonest I skipped the crostraining day and left it as a resting day ot yoga day).
http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

My recommendations:
1.- I cannot stress this enoug: Do not over train!. Follow the 10% rule and religiously take your days off.
2.- Get a good pair of shoes a fuel belt. Carry your water and power gels/ drinks (get something better than gatorade Learn how to use them, listen you your body.
3.- Take it easy on your long runs. Schedule walking stops (do not wait until you are too tired to stop). Schedule a stop, walk and get your fuel.
4.- Have a plan the day of the race. Carry your own gel and learn your route, water stops, etc.
4.- Have fun, smile for the camera. You'll get a great picture to pair with your medal!
Good Luck.

2005-03-09 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

First congratulations on makign that leap.  When i frist started running, I told my wife I only wanted to do a few 5k's, and now 10 marathons later...lol.

Second, what Bear said, hit it right on the head.  One long run a week, one to two speed sessions (just make sure you put an easy day between them), adn the rest should be just aerobic running. 

One of the best books i found was Advance Marathoning.  But don't let the title fool you.  It really can be used for beginners.  Best, and easiest explanations I have found regarding the science behind marathoning.  There are programs in the back of the book.  I think the shortest was 55 miles per week, but you can cut that back proportionally to what you want to do.

Good Luck

Chris 

2005-03-09 11:27 AM

Regular
Hi Autumn
You were one of the first to welcome me on the message board and in the space of 16 weeks completed a strong first half-marathon....mostly due to the training philosophy of one person....you can read about it here http://www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm just remember to look past the fact this coach deals with elite runners, the principles are sound.

Kevin
2005-03-09 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I just got through with my first marathon. I used the Higdon beginner program, and treated it as the run portion of my tri training.. I got through the race, but only just. My personal thoughts are that

1. I should have done more 3-plus hour runs, and definately more runs of over 15-16 miles.

2. Tri training for over a year (8-9 hours per week including riding, running, swimming, and weights) definately gave me the heart/lung capacity to do the race, but my legs were not as ready as I thought.

2005-03-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: #127425

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-03-09 1:38 PM

I just got through with my first marathon. I used the Higdon beginner program, and treated it as the run portion of my tri training.. I got through the race, but only just. My personal thoughts are that

1. I should have done more 3-plus hour runs, and definately more runs of over 15-16 miles.

2. Tri training for over a year (8-9 hours per week including riding, running, swimming, and weights) definately gave me the heart/lung capacity to do the race, but my legs were not as ready as I thought.

Thus my recommendations of a minimum peak of 40 MPW, and at least three long runs over 18 miles.

2005-03-09 3:00 PM
in reply to: #127434

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

So Bear, what do you say to the argument that no one should run more than 3 hours (I think that was the number)? If one runs 11 min miles, they can't do 18 miles in less than 3 hrs...

I still don't know what to think of that argument... just gathering opinions.

2005-03-09 3:06 PM
in reply to: #127436

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

I was just thinking about that. I've said before, I'm not so sure that rule of thumb works very well with slower runners.

Take autumn, if she doesn't mind. Her 1/2 marathon time indicates a potential marathon time of right at five hours (11:32 pace). Take a prevalent recommendation that she run her LSDs at a pace 1 to 1 1/2 minutes slower than goal pace, which gives her an LSD pace of, say, 12:30. This means in 3 hours she can cover about 14.4 miles.

Now who out here would attempt to run, or send someone out to run a marathon with a long run of only 14.4 miles?

2005-03-09 3:23 PM
in reply to: #127439

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Exactly... I would totally be in the same boat, but I'd never attempt something so long if I'd only covered half the distance. You might finish a 5k that way, but a marathon is an entirely different matter. Seems silly.

At the same time, the injury concern seems legitimate....

2005-03-09 8:35 PM
in reply to: #127436

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
kimj81 - 2005-03-09 3:00 PM

So Bear, what do you say to the argument that no one should run more than 3 hours (I think that was the number)? If one runs 11 min miles, they can't do 18 miles in less than 3 hrs...

I still don't know what to think of that argument... just gathering opinions.

Well, time training did not work for me as a beginners, I had to switch to distance. I was affraid I would never make it. When I was training, 3 hours didn't tell me anything. I knew my pace on 3 miles was somewhere around 10 min/mile but as you go longer distances you slow down plus you have to account for walk breaks... too complicated for a beginner. Because I had to cut my training short (We had 2 hurricanes and I got injured because I got the wrong shoes at the running store -don't ask-) The longest run I did was 16 miles. Still I managed to finish in 5 hours and 12 min. My half marathon (2 months before) I finished in 2 hrs and 19 min. My goal was less than 5 hours I think I could've make it if I ran a couple longer runs. After mile 16 it was all new territory for me, I didn'k know what to expect and my hands swollen a little. I didn't want to push it and preferred to walk the last 3 miles instead of risking the finish line
My best friend did 2x 16 2 x 18 1 x 20 1 x 22 milers. He was a beginner. The day of his marathon his knee gave up. He overtrained! He is still recovering since november.
2005-03-09 9:07 PM

Regular
I finished my first marathon last Novemeber and it was the greatest experience ever! I highly recommend the Jeff Galloway method. His books are excellent training tools and they give you tips for staying motivated. His website is www.JeffGalloway.com

Hope this helps and most of all have fun!
2005-03-09 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
I hope to complete my first marathon next week-end. Because I am slow, I train by distance not time. My longest training run was 24 miles, done in about 5 hours. I run 3 days per week, bike 2 and swim 2. Because of an underlying knee issue, running regularly 4 days per week is too much. After the 19th I'll let you know if this was a successful plan.

2005-03-09 9:11 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
thanks for all the feedback. i'll probably put the idea on the back burner for this season, and do a road 1/2 marathon or two before i commit. in defense of my slow average times - most of my runs are pushing a double jogger containing 70 lbs of offspring (solo pace has been below 10 min miles lately, despite the snow and ice, so i have hope!), and my first and only 1/2 marathon was a muddy trail run. still, i'm not a speed demon, so i take the points made very seriously (thanks for doing the math, bear ). will hopefully do at least one road 1/2 marathon this season and see how it goes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training (aka 'never say never' Rss Feed