General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest day question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-11 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Rest day question
I realize the importance of a rest day, but I have a question.  Should a rest day be a day off from doing anything, or just from tri training?  This winter along with tri training I plan to be playing tennis and hockey, skiing, and doing crossfit.  Typically I don't do anything (except maybe skiing) more than a couple of days in a row, so there will be plenty of days off, just not total rest days.  I figure i'll just try it and see how my energy level does, but I'm worried I'll end up too run down.  Any advice on this?

2008-12-11 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1850144

User image

Plano, Tx
Subject: RE: Rest day question

lil_turtle - 2008-12-11 7:49 PM I realize the importance of a rest day, but I have a question.  Should a rest day be a day off from doing anything, or just from tri training?  This winter along with tri training I plan to be playing tennis and hockey, skiing, and doing crossfit.  Typically I don't do anything (except maybe skiing) more than a couple of days in a row, so there will be plenty of days off, just not total rest days.  I figure i'll just try it and see how my energy level does, but I'm worried I'll end up too run down.  Any advice on this?

I like the way you talked about "how your energy level does"... Definitly pay attention to how your body feels. If you feel like taking the whole day "off" then do it... For me a rest day is all about "rest". As long as you don't feel like you're working out then i'd say its all good.

2008-12-11 8:14 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Lots of differing philosophies on "rest."

One camp takes it compeltely off.  Another only does really like work in one discipline or another.  A different one does alternative things (weights, yoga, massage).

No one is right, you need to find one that works for you and listen to your body so you can figure out what it needs.

2008-12-11 8:41 PM

User image

Most serious coaches seem to say a rest day should be truly a rest day.  That also supposedly means not running around town and dealing with all your things you can't can done the rest of the week.
2008-12-11 9:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach

All the other posters are right on about rest days.  You are going to get multiple opinions on this.  Some activity may actually promote recovery rather than just sitting around doing nothing.  I believe you should do activity that will build you up rather than break you down. You don't want to think of it as anything other than delivering oxygenated blood to your muscles.

To the OP, do what makes you happy...enjoy exercising and being fit. 

2008-12-11 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I sit in the do nothing camp. any form of stress can wear you down. that includes work. So (i know i'm a minority here) my rest day is sunday. I treat it as a day of rest both physically and mentally. Of course if your workload is light enough, you don't need a day off. That's me right now. So instead of a day of rest, it's a day of weight gain from all that crappy food i'm eating...

2008-12-12 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
It can be either.  Whatever works for you to make sure you feel ready for the next weeks workouts.  Can also vary during the season eg I tend to need a full rest day when doing more intense stuff.  Remember it is also mental as well as physical rest so, for me in winter (ie not so intense), I usually keep away from swim, bike, run,  but do other stuff that is "fun" like walk the dog, go skiing with the family etc.
2008-12-12 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1850200

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

trimantri - 2008-12-11 10:41 PM Most serious coaches seem to say a rest day should be truly a rest day.  That also supposedly means not running around town and dealing with all your things you can't can done the rest of the week.

I would like to think I'm a serious coach and for some athletes and don't believe a rest day is required

For some athletes a rest day is required due to physiological reasons (recovery, type of workout on the prior day, experience), pyschological reasons (need a break, maintain focus) or real-life (buy groceries, spend time with the family).

The key is finding what works for you and using that; there is no magic formula for everyone.

Shane

2008-12-12 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1850625

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
gsmacleod - 2008-12-12 8:33 AM

trimantri - 2008-12-11 10:41 PM Most serious coaches seem to say a rest day should be truly a rest day.  That also supposedly means not running around town and dealing with all your things you can't can done the rest of the week.

I would like to think I'm a serious coach and for some athletes and don't believe a rest day is required

For some athletes a rest day is required due to physiological reasons (recovery, type of workout on the prior day, experience), pyschological reasons (need a break, maintain focus) or real-life (buy groceries, spend time with the family).

The key is finding what works for you and using that; there is no magic formula for everyone.

Shane

Shane hit the nail right on the head here.  It's different for each person and as a coach, I have to figure out which one works for each athlete.  My coach uses active recovery for my schedule so, on paper, it looks like I never have a day off. 

Listen to your body and your life.  If you get stressed that you don't have time to do the bills, then set aside a day to do that.  If you can't get to the grocery store without missing that afternoon workout, then go grocery shopping.  But look at your schedule in advance and you can minimize the 'emergency' situations.

But overall, listen to your body.  Plain and simple.

2008-12-12 8:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-12-12 8:32 AM

Champion
South Jersey

lil_turtle - 2008-12-11 8:49 PM I realize the importance of a rest day, but I have a question.  Should a rest day be a day off from doing anything, or just from tri training?  This winter along with tri training I plan to be playing tennis and hockey, skiing, and doing crossfit.  Typically I don't do anything (except maybe skiing) more than a couple of days in a row, so there will be plenty of days off, just not total rest days.  I figure i'll just try it and see how my energy level does, but I'm worried I'll end up too run down.  Any advice on this?

Pay attention to how your body feels.  A day of skiing, doing crossfit, or playing tennis or hockey could put more wear and tear on your body and require more recovery than a day of tri training. Your "rest" day is there to give your body time to recover and be better prepared for your upcoming training...don't let it make you more fatigued.

2008-12-12 9:43 AM

Expert
Florida
100% agree with listening to your body. As someone who has been known to "go hard to quick" i just really try to tune in with what my body wants me to do. Usually my rest day is saturday and I take the whole day off, i don't mind, it gives me a break from thinking about everything and I can just sit at home or go run errands with my wife and not think about it. Makes starting again on sunday that much easier. However, for instance, this week i am in active recovery, but i feel really good and had one of my best swim workouts of the month today after a quesitonable session yesterday, so i feel great, and will be riding my bike just for an hour tomorrow. So i think you just gotta listen to you, and make the decision.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest day question Rss Feed