General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan for Sevenoaks (UK) sprint Tri 400m pool swim 30k cycle 8k run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-22 3:56 PM

New user

Subject: Training plan for Sevenoaks (UK) sprint Tri 400m pool swim 30k cycle 8k run

Hi All

I have signed up for this on April 19th. Currently I am on phase 4, week 2 of couch to 5k. I can run 4k in 20 - 25 mins..

Cycling is ok, my commute to & from work is 40k, used to do it 3x a week but have been run/swim focussed recently, I did it today without problems.

Swim is getting there, I have been doing the 1st level swim smooth training prog & can do 2k including drills.

So it has to be a run focussed plan that will get me to 8k in 15 weeks.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance...........

2008-12-23 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1868116

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Training plan for Sevenoaks (UK) sprint Tri 400m pool swim 30k cycle 8k run
Oops, see below

Edited by Pashda 2008-12-23 7:25 AM
2008-12-23 7:24 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Training plan for Sevenoaks (UK) sprint Tri 400m pool swim 30k cycle 8k run

Hi I am signed up for the same race, looks like a good one.

Have a look at the training plans on this site there is a very good 16 week run focused sprint plan which will schedule you in for 2x swim 3xrun and 2xbike. I used a similar balanced plan before my first sprint this year and it was great. With your current swim and bike fitness you could probably sub a bike for a run as you do lots of cycling anyway.

Another idea is to look at a 10k run programme at runnersworld.com and fit your swims round that.

Good luck and see you there, I will be the one in lycra ! Laughing

2008-12-24 1:25 AM

New user

Hi Pashda

Thanks for the advice. I saw the 16 week prog but that will only take me to 5k. I definitley want to be able to do 8k comfortabley by the time of the race.

I also saw an 8 k programme somewhere else on the forum so I will mix that in with the sprint. I'm also planing on doing a "proper" sprint tri later in the year. Maybe Windsor, I've heard some worrying things about the Thames, currents etc so best keep the swimming up.

In the last 2 months I've been training 6 x a week on seprate days. I guess its time to step it up & start doing two sports on the smae day.

How long did u traing for our 1st ? What was your starting point ?

2008-12-24 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

I'm going to be in Petts Wood in April, can anybody lend me a bike?  ooh so tempting

Edited to say I got on the website and its full up. Shame it would have been so nice to do it.  Will come and spectate though and cheer you on

Edited by daisymouse 2008-12-24 5:57 AM
2008-12-24 6:25 AM
in reply to: #1870766

User image

Regular
Essex, England

Colossal

First one I did this year was Blenheim which was superb and would recommend it as your first "proper" sprint. Open water swim but in a lake so no Thames currents to worry about.

I started training for that in Feb using the 20week balanced sprint plan on BT and found it just about ok although I missed about 3 weeks training towards the end due to a chest infection so suffered on race day. Overdid it on the bike leg. !

I am doing this race again in 2009 as I have a time to try and beat now. The sprint plans here are all time based so you can always adjust the time levels to suit and give you the week 19 long run to be about 8k

good luck

2009-01-18 5:22 AM

New user

Hi Pashda

Sorry for the massive delay. Well I now have 13 weeks to go to the Sevenoaks tri & I need to focus !. I trained over xmas 3 times a week (ish) I feel I have a long way to go. I can run 6K just & thats with no swim & cycle before !

So I will do the 13 week plan & adjust the times to favour the run, hopefully all we be ok.

I did the spam biking event on january 4th on salisbury plain, 35k on/off road, great day, highly recommended !

I'll try to post back & let you know how I'm doing, maybe a little on line support will help me a long.

Thanks again.....

2009-01-19 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1914596

User image

Regular
Essex, England

Anytime feel free to pm me as well if you like. 6k runs now is excellent, you will easily be ready come race day, you have loads of time if you just increase 1/2k per week that will be a run of 12k. I have found slowing my run down by 2km/h to just above 10 means I can run a lot further and still feel fresh and ready to go again the next day.

I have been concentrating on the swim and run myself and have got the runs up to 11k but at a slower pace than I hope for race day. the swims are looking good I expect 7:30 for the 400m now which is good for me. Cycling has been awful. got out on saturday for a very slow grind of 15k with my kids in a trailer behind me. Lots of work to be done there but I am sure I will be ok.

See you there

Dave

2009-01-19 2:59 PM

New user

Forgot to say I have signed up for Blenheim on the Saturday. There's a few of us at Sevenoaks & a couple at Blenheim, will have to try to say hello at least.

So at Sevenoaks how does the pool - bike transition work ? I guess you leave all your bike kit with the bike & leave the pool area in your swim kit ?

Strangely I can't find any e-mails from Sevenoaks or Blenheim although I definitely have paid for both & saw my name down at Sevenoaks. Are you getting mails from them, who are they from ?

Thanks

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan for Sevenoaks (UK) sprint Tri 400m pool swim 30k cycle 8k run Rss Feed