General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression Stopping work out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-08 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: Depression Stopping work out

Came back from Christmas vacation.  Really depressed now - miss friends and family so much now.  Gained about 8 pounds in like 4 days.  Ate a pint of chocolate sorbet and a cup of peanuts today.

Bleah.  This is killing my training.  Made it to the gym - late.

Bleah.

Just venting.

dbw27

2009-01-09 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1896516

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-09 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1897048

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: RE: Depression Stopping work out

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  I need all of it I can get!

Sorry for the strange venting.  I was in a very low mood and was mad that my depression was messing up my training and eating. 

I am doing a little tiny bit better today.  Looking forward to a long day's workout tomorrow if it doesn't snow too bad!

dbw27

2009-01-09 5:41 PM

Veteran
Hey, I know what you mean. My depression almost got the better of me last year. In the spring I suffered 3rd degree burns on my feet 1 week after my first 1/2 mary and what was to be the kick off to a great season. Long story short - almost had to have my right foot aputated (sp?) but didn't couldn't do any real training until late August(bike only). Nobody really could understand. I finally got back into the gym 4 weeks ago and what do ya know ... my head got straight
2009-01-12 7:54 PM

Ontario

If you train all the time, your body gets used to the endorphins, then when you stop, like for the holidays for a few days or even a week, you can get really bummed out, because you're not getting all the good endorphins. 

Train more, feel better.

2009-01-13 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1903417

katherinel - 2009-01-12 8:54 PM

If you train all the time, your body gets used to the endorphins, then when you stop, like for the holidays for a few days or even a week, you can get really bummed out, because you're not getting all the good endorphins. 

Train more, feel better.

x2. Just need to get yourself back into things - slowly. Then you will start to feel better. Plus, this is the time of year when everything kinda sucks anyway, cuz it's cold and dark. Find some friends who run/bike/swim and get out with them - social training is more fun than training on your own anyway

It's my theory that runners (like "real" runners) always seem to be "happy-go-lucky" all the time because they are constantly cracked out on endorphins (like a permanent "runner's high" ). I was training for a marathon this summer and had to stop a month out because of an injury and I CRASHED, mentally and physically. And I think it was like quitting a drug cold-turkey (not that I'd know) - if you go from loads of chemicals pumping into your brain to none, you'll feel like crap. So just get back out there, and get your "fix" and you might feel better

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-01-13 7:37 AM

2009-01-13 9:33 AM

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Sucks, but didn't you feel a million times better after exercising? Or if you didn't this time you will next time.  I'm always in misery thinking about a workout, and joyful when it's done.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression Stopping work out Rss Feed