Supersprint
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 48s
Overall Rank = 379/
Age Group = 18-29
Age Group Rank = 41/
Pre-race routine:

Packed my bags the night before and had a decent sleep after Saturday's events. Ate a nutella sandwich while riding down to Elwood SLSC.
Swim
  • 06m 10s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Given the weather forecast of 30C the water was colder than expected. The bay was unbelieveably flat. Like a mill pond. I was actually looking forward to the swim. Got in well before my wave start, possibly too early. They were running a little late (trouble with road closures as usual) so by the time my wave was called I couldn't feel my feet.

I came out of the water pretty happy with my swim (only saw 2 jellyfish and put my hand in none!) passed a few people and got myself into a nice rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

I could probably practice actually running out into the water some more. This I'm really not good at.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Probably a bit slow to get my wetsuit off. However I remembered to leave my velcro undone so I could easily get my feet in. Also put rubber bands to good use. Much easier to start pedalling this way.

I put baby oil on my legs before I left home, it would probably be wiser to put it on when I put my wetsuit on and use a little more.
Bike
  • 21m 8s
  • 10 kms
  • 28.39 km/hr
Comments:

I got well up to speed before I thought about putting my feet in. Had little trouble considering my feet were still numb. Tried wiggling my toes a bit, didn't work too well. Did push quite hard and tried to maintain a 30km/hr average, not quite there yet (my bike 'puter said 29.5).

Go for the 30km average. That I can maintain, being able to run after such an effort is the question!
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Probably got off the bike a metre early, apart from that I'm not complaining.
Run
  • 17m
  • 3 kms
  • 05m 40s  min/km
Comments:

Its an odd feeling getting off the bike and having numb legs to go with the numb feet. My breathing was fine (slightly laboured!), I just felt as though my legs couldn't go any faster. Could definitely feel the heat starting to build, but I didn't want to stop running to take a sip of water. Enjoyed the run, I'm starting to pass people (heaps still passed me) it definitely felt faster than my previous runs. In fact I think this is my best run yet!!

Lots more improvement to be seen here. Just need to keep training, I ran the best I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I had a ball on the course. Went off to find all the tri-bal members competing in the Gatorade race to wish them well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to run with speed. This will come.

Event comments:

This race is what triathlons are about. It helped that conditions were perfect, I can't explain it I just had a ball racing.
Headed straight down to the beach after the race which is why this report is a little late.
Pulled up pretty sore in my quads which I think is an indication of my effort on the bike and the need to use my hamstrings on the upstroke.

Last updated: 2005-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:10 | 300 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:21:08 | 10 kms | 28.39 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: One lap along Beach rd.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:00 | 03 kms | 05m 40s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: Flat running track out and back along the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-03-14 3:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Brooks fun Tri Race 5 Elwood

2005-03-14 5:50 AM
in reply to: #129411

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Brooks fun Tri Race 5 Elwood
Well done.
Sounds like what racing is all about.

David
2005-03-14 9:14 PM

great job. i did the brooks too...want a sensational day. it was so much fun to be out there.

i can relate to the slow running thing...did a pb for the 3km (which i was stoked about) but still in awe of those who run 11/12 mins...all down to the training now i guess.

keep up the training...bring on st kilda.
2005-03-14 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Well done Casie,
Reading your report made me smile - I understand it when you say how good you felt being out there and that you had a ball racing - without sounding corny, you can have some really spiritual moments while racing and training - I guess that's what it's all about! Yay!!
2005-03-15 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Super race Casie.

All that run training is starting to pay off. There is nothing better then putting in the hard yards, training week in week out and then turning up on race day and recording a great time and really enjoy the race and your results.

Well done.

Paul

PS. Good to see Melbourne turned on a bit of the everyday Queensland weather for the race (can't believe you guys are swimming in wetsuits).

2005-03-15 12:38 PM

User image

I enjoyed your race report, good lessons learned and shared in it.  Being a lake swimmer, I've never had to contend with jellyfish.   It's great you had such a fantastic time.

A tip I learned at a tri clinic last year, was to use cooking spray (like "Pam" ) on your legs (and forearms if full wetsuit) to help slip out of the wetsuit.  I tried it and it works wonders! 

Edited by zagagirl 2005-03-15 12:38 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brooks fun Tri Race 5 Elwood Rss Feed