General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Detoxing (From Junk Food!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-14 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Subject: Detoxing (From Junk Food!)
Man, did I blow it yesterday. I was visiting some friends out of state, and just kind of saw my control of what I was eating vanish away.

To start with, my breakfast was a sugary banana-nut muffin and half a bagel with cream cheese. Both, of course, made with white flour. Oh well, I thought, at least the bagel/cc has some protein. Lunch got seriously delayed as I waited for my friend to return from an appointment. He took an hour and a half longer than expected, so of course I was ravenous. When he called and said he wasn't going to make it and to eat on my own, I ran out to Subway and got a 6-inch ....Spicy Italian. No, not the healthiest choice. I got chips too, and made a marginal effort by getting baked ones. When I got back, we sat down to watch a movie. He made a big bowl of microwave popcorn. Even after that sub, I found myself dipping into the popcorn quite a bit, also the Cheez-Its that he put out. Oh, and also the bowl of M&Ms he had out on the table. Then I had a 3-hour drive back late at night. Since I didn't plan ahead and pack a dinner, I ended up pulling into a fast-food restaurant and getting 3 chicken strips, (fried, of course) and...fries.

Ugh! What happened?! I haven't eaten that badly in months. I felt like crap, too. I think it was due to a combination of not enough protein at breakfast, being overly hungry at lunchtime and making a poor choice, not resisting unhealthy food in my environment, and then giving up all attempts to salvage that day and going for a cheap, fast, and fattening dinner option.

So today I am trying to 'detox'. I had veggie soup with big carrot and sweet potato chunks for lunch, with a small whole wheat roll and some green tea. So far so good.

This whole thing made me realize how much I am depending on myself to control my eating situation. In someone else's house, it all went out the window. There were foods around that I just never keep in my house; I'm not used to having to manage them. In my fridge, the only things you *can* snack on are healthy. I bring my lunches to work, and I cook dinner every night. My defenses just crumbled when I was in a different place.

I guess it goes to show -- when you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Next time I may have to bring my own food, including some healthy snacks to tide me over in case I have to depend on someone else's schedule. And I guess I take some comfort in the realization that a few years ago, this would have been kind of a normal day for me. The fact that I am horrified I ate all this stuff shows some progress in my nutrition management!

Does anybody have further 'detoxing' tips? I want to feel like I'm back on track. I believe there's room for ANY food within the boundaries of a healthy diet; but there's not room for whole days of low-nutrient, high-sugar-and-fat foods like I had yesterday. What makes you feel like you've got it together? A really tough workout -- a hot bath -- a specific tea or food? I'm open for suggestions. And thanks for hearing my 'confession'. Ugh.

Edited by Miko 2005-03-14 12:45 PM

2005-03-14 2:29 PM
in reply to: #129568

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Subject: RE: Detoxing (From Junk Food!)
I think you are being way to hard on yourself - everything in moderation. Try a glass of water with an entire lemon in it - I've heard its good for detoxing. I hope you're feeling better
2005-03-14 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Oh you're probably right. I just wanted to vent.
2005-03-15 6:54 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i was just in a similar situation - at my parents' place for the weekend. we packed snacks for the road and i made mostly healthy choices while we were there...but i had white rice w/ some vietnamese take out, some chocolate, and some b&b (the last two were worth it though!). back in line as of yesterday morning. i've been drinking some everyday detox tea to help get rid of the extra water i retained from all the salt and msg in the take out.

you're back on track now and know how you felt after the fact, so don't worry about it too much. just like missing one workout won't derail your training, one day of not so perfect eating won't derail your dietary goals either. just get back to what you'd been doing!
2005-03-15 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Thanks autumn. You're absolutely right. Two days later I'm feeling a lot better,

I think it's scary just to get a glimpse of the old, unhealthy habits threatening to come back. But the important thing is definitely thinking long-term. It's never about a single workout or day or meal. It's about consistently trying your best day after day,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Detoxing (From Junk Food!) Rss Feed