General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any newbies in SE Michigan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-19 8:35 AM

New user
Farmington Hills, MI
Subject: Any newbies in SE Michigan

I'm a "Couch to . . . ." person looking for others in my area to train with.  I used to work out fairly regularly, but have been dormant for several years.  I'm trying very hard to get back into it, and I've always wanted to try a Tri, so I figured I'd take the plunge.  I'm considering myself totally new to working out, though, so it's a slow start.  I'm starting with the "Aggressive Couch to 5K" program.

Is there anyone else out there who is at my level?  I'd love to get together with others if nothing else than for accountability!

Dawn a/k/a Sunrise 

2009-01-19 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1915941

User image

Subject: RE: Any newbies in SE Michigan

Welcome to BT Dawn!  I'm not from SE MI, I live outside of Lansing, but lots of BT'ers get together to train on most weekends.  One of the best things about the MI group is that all fitness levels, from very beginner to expert, can get together and everyone feels welcomed.

Do you have any races scheduled yet?  Hawk Island in Lansing is a great race for first timers.

2009-01-19 9:19 AM

User image

Dearborn, MI

So...I just got the Dawn-Sunrise thing; I'm slow.

Hi and welcome! guess I cant really say welcome since i'm a total newb too and havent really trained with anyone here yet.  Starker-Mann is my first event, then probably Ann Arbor.  I swim/run at the Dearborn Comunity Center. It's a great facility but probably not that close to you.  Keep an eye out here, they always seem to be organizing some sort of run.

One way I keep acountable is to tell friends/family/co-workers my plans.  Someone always seems to ask about it and I like to say that i've been keeping on track.  

2009-01-19 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

Hey - welcome from a fellow newbie!  I've only been active in this forum  now for a few weeks but I've found everyone to be extremely helpful and friendly.  They've been extremely patient and have answered all of my stupid questions without making me feel like an idiot Smile.

I train out of the Carl's Family Y in Milford and also sometimes run the indoor track up at the Milford High School.  Anyone is welcome there and it doesn't cost anything.  There is also a group that runs/bikes/swims out at Kensington on the weekends (I haven't joined them yet cuz they just told me about it, but plan to).

My wife is also just starting out running for the first time in her life and wants to be able to do a 5k this summer.   Might be an option for you two to get together.  You're also welcome to join me anytime.

2009-01-19 4:03 PM

New user
Farmington Hills, MI

Thanks for the responses.

Brickey: checked out the Hawk Island.  That looks like a good one, thanks for the recommendation.  I'd just be concerned that I might not be ready by May 31, but that could be an excellent goal!

Sweetchicken: thanks for the advice re: accountability.  sounds like a good plan.

Coop: got your response on the other forum, too.  thank you.  i'll watch for more info re: the kensington goup.  feel free to put your wife in touch with me.  it would be nice to have someone to work with.

take care, and see you around.

dawn

2009-01-19 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Dawn - I am doing my first tri on June 21st at Big Fish.  You are welcome to join me! I live in Fair Haven so I am not close to Farmington Hills.  I am a fairly decent runner but am new to the biking and swimming.  If I can help in any way, let me know!!

2009-01-19 4:16 PM

Master

Hey Dawn -

I'm a member of the Livonia YMCA and, when I'm not traveling for work, will be there in the early AM during the week and on the weekends.

Once it gets warmer, I'll do a lot of my training at Island Lake.  You are more than welcome to join me.

X2 on Hawk Island.  It is a GREAT first time tri and I'll be doing ti again this year (along with a bunch of BT'ers).  If you stick with your training, I think 4 months is enough to get you ready.

2009-01-19 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI

Hey there, Dawn and welcome!  We do have a few people right in your area, so keep your eyes peeled on this forum and I'm sure a few will pipe in.

As for training groups, right now we have a group that meets (most) Saturdays out at Kensington for a run on the path.  There are people of all speeds that run from 3 miles on up.  During the summer, a bunch of folks from BT and the Racing Greyhounds meet out at Island Lake (normally Thursdays) for a swim then bike around one or both parks. 

Again, welcome to the site and sport.  You're sure to meet some really nice people through this forum, as I have. 

2009-01-20 4:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm from Monroe County (Bedford).  I don't consider myself a newbie perse but if you need any help or are feeling froggy on some weekend let me know.   Where you from?
2009-01-20 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1916823

New user
Farmington Hills, MI

Kristen: I'm a member of the Farmington Y.  Despite my name, I'm not really an early morning exercise person! But maybe I could meet up with you on a Saturday, and the Island Lake thing sounds good, too. 

Thanks Bronwyn, I'll look at Big Fish.  A couple of people mentioned Hawk Island as a first race, so I think that will be me goal.  Big Fish might work out, too, as a second.

Gir1with1nose: Thanks for the invite re: Kensington.  I'll watch out for more info on that, and when I'm up to running a decent distance, I'll try to join in.

m-mclain: I'm in Farmington Hills.

I'll definitely appreciate just knowing there are folks out there I can ask questions of, particularly because I have no idea how this works or what to expect!  I appreciate your support!

Good luck in your training, and I'll keep in touch!

dawn

Edited by sunrise 2009-01-20 7:21 AM
2009-02-09 5:04 PM

Tri newbie in downriver area ..............member of Downriver YMCA trying to find local bike shops that carry tri stuff and swim shops that have goggles wetsuits trunks ect. also would love to facebook some local folks

Doing the Motor Tri Oly June 14th 2009 ..............As a Master 

2009-02-10 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Boston
Welcome Mike,   I am Dave and I think we have met at the Y pool a couple times. I swim there and with the Masters at a local Jr high.  Jack's Schwinn is a local Bike shop as is Bike sport on Mich . ave. That is where I got my wet suit.  Motor city is a nice tri, did it last year, lot of fun and confusion, with 3d, needed more markers and restrooms.  I will probably do it this year too. Get most of my swim gear at Duhnams I just got a keifer catalog for swim gear.
2009-02-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1954040

User image

New user

Hello everyone!  Jason here, I am new to this site.  Dave, I think we were speaking at the Y pool yesterday (Friday).  I moved back to Michigan in September after living in Dayton, OH for about a year.  I participated in 6 sprint distance races last year, but I am making the jump up to Olympics with one HIM at the end of the year (TBD).  I definitely still a newbie and welcome any tips/advice/support.

This forum is great!  Everyone sounds very welcoming.  I'm always up for group training sessions, so if you need a little support on those long runs/rides shoot me a message.  I live in Riverview.

2009-02-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1962074

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
rocknrolla - 2009-02-14 11:58 AM

Hello everyone!  Jason here, I am new to this site.  Dave, I think we were speaking at the Y pool yesterday (Friday).  I moved back to Michigan in September after living in Dayton, OH for about a year.  I participated in 6 sprint distance races last year, but I am making the jump up to Olympics with one HIM at the end of the year (TBD).  I definitely still a newbie and welcome any tips/advice/support.

This forum is great!  Everyone sounds very welcoming.  I'm always up for group training sessions, so if you need a little support on those long runs/rides shoot me a message.  I live in Riverview.

Welcome Jason!  Look forward to training with you.  Keep an eye on the forum there's always something going on - we all just had an awesome trainerfest at Kimm's house and there's likely to be another pretty soon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any newbies in SE Michigan Rss Feed