General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In need of some advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-20 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: In need of some advice?
On Fridays I always attend my favorite spinning class, and let me emphasize that it is grueling and intense (or at least I make it so). In trying to work in my weekly leg routine: squats, deadlifts, etc, I am curious about performing my leg workout prior to the class. I never lift a lot, typically lighter weights with lots of reps, supersets mixed in. Usually never a long lifting session, however always intense and a little sore a few days after. I know I'll definitely need to fuel up properly, but in terms of overall benefit (strength building, endurance, and not burning up my leg muscles for energy reserves) what do you some of you more experienced individuals think about this? Good idea or bad idea to do this sequence? I appreciate your input!

2009-01-21 1:17 AM
in reply to: #1919409

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: In need of some advice?

I think you'll probably find a lot of people for and against on this one.  You know how they say to work big muscles and do full body exercises first, and save the biceps curls for last?  Well, some people don't.  The idea is that you can pre-fatigue a muscle in order to make others work harder.  For example, do biceps curls and then go into some pullups.  Your lats are going to work overtime on this one bc the biceps are toasted, thereby making your lats that much stronger.  I think the effect is going to be similar to what you're doing.  By doing a leg workout in the gym, you're going to go into the spin class already pre-fatigued, and your "cycling muscles" are going to be working overtime.  (Ok, I know they're the same muscles you worked out, but you're using them in a different way.  Same idea though.)  I think you'll definitely build some cycling endurance as well as overall strength.  And you're spot on with fueling up properly to keep from breaking down the muscle too much.

That being said, I wouldn't make it a daily habit.  It's a tough workout to do and you still want to avoid the overuse injuries.  Keep your body guessing and mix this in there every now and then, and I think it can be a really useful sequence.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In need of some advice? Rss Feed