General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Lacking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-15 5:43 AM

Subject: Motivation Lacking
I am entered in the london triathlon in August, I'm only doing the sprint version. At the mo my 'training' is supposed to consist of this:

Mon Swim am, Run pm
Tues Cycle pm
Weds Swim am, Run pm, strength pm
Thurs Cycle pm, strength pm
Fri Swim am, Run pm
Sat Rest
Sun Run

The problem is that I hate swimming! I'm totally exhausted all the time at the moment, it's lucky I have a holiday coming up on Saturday for 2 weeks!

Can anyone out there help me with motivation to get up and get to the pool at 7am? I can swim no problem once in there, my arms die usually after 4 lengths, but I'm sure I'll get better. I just think to myself that on the day I should be ok, when I know that I wont be, I just dont like it!

When I get back on the 4th April, I need to start getting totally motivated and involved for this triathlon, at the moment I have none whatsoever and keep telling myself that I'm going to come last! I have a voice in my head that goes round and round and tells me that I should be doing something, I can't seem to rest my brain.

HELP ME!!

Also, because I am allergic to yeast and dairy products I am finding it very difficult to not come home after working out and stuff my face full of bread and all things bad for me!

And, what could I do while I'm on holiday? I'm worried I'll get back and have to 'start all over' again.

2005-03-15 6:32 AM
in reply to: #129987

Veteran
Swindon
Subject: RE: Motivation Lacking

Hiya,

There's quite a few reasons that you would be feeling exhausted, ranging from stress at work, lack of sleep, not eating enough (or at the right time) or over training.  So have a think about the factors that may be affecting you and what you could do about them.  If you're allergic to yeast & dairy, eacing bread & stuff won't help the way you're feeling.  Why not try muesli bars instead, given the amount of training you've got sheduled, it's not like you need to worry about your calorie intake being too high.

On the whole motivation side, there's a few things you can do.  I'd suggest moving some of your swims to the evening (don't know if it's possible for you) and moving your runs to outside instead of on the treadmill.  Also invent some targets for yourself, don't set them really agressive, but slightly above what you're doing now, even if they're arbitrary, achieving a target is a very good motivator and I think you need a little success at the moment - maybe set yourselt a target of 11m for a 400m.  Do you do drills when you swim, or zip up and down until it hurts?  If your arms die quickly you're probably not being very efficient in the water, so have a look at the swim articles here and elsewhere and spend some of your sessions in the pool doing that (don't even record the times for them, they're not important in a technique session)

Where are you off on holiday to - just chuck some trainers and your swim gear in the bag and have a run if you feel like it.  It sounds like you need a rest anyway, so have a good holiday and you'll probably find it easier to get back into training when you get back.

Are you cycling tonight?  I'll be at the spin class if you want to bounce a few ideas off someone.

2005-03-15 6:35 AM

Veteran
Swindon
BTW - in 4 weeks you've gone from doing 300m @10min/100 in to pool to 750m @ 3min/100  I'd rate that as quite a high rate of progress.
2005-03-15 7:30 AM

First, how do you know I've done that swimming? Can you see?

I know I desperately need a break! I've started running outside, I went this morning but only lasted 24 minutes before I needed to restore glycogen levels in brain! Was a bit fuzzy, but felt really good running along the river.

I can swim in the evenings, but only at 8pm when the pool opens for adult lane swims, I hate that, I want to be able to just go straight to the pool and get it over with. I haven't started any drills as such, just go up and down. I was intending on starting some when I get back from hols on 4th April, which leaves me 4 months to 'learn to swim'. I've searched the site for ideas but they are all too long for me!! I get bored quickly and I guess that's partly why I'm so unmotivated.

I need to eat the right foods, I know that, but it's very difficult for me when I get home and I'm starving and I just tend to go for bread and bananas!! I could try shakes or something but milk makes me feel sick and soy milk does nothing for me either!!

I'm not cycling tonight cos I ran this morning and I'm out for t, but would be great if you would help me. Maybe I could go swimming with you one day?

I'm going to Morocco for hols, fly out Saturday, so I'll be able to swim, but I dont think I want to try running in the sahara!!
2005-03-15 7:55 AM

Veteran
Swindon

There's a button at the bottom of each post that links directly to your training log (if it's public, there's a tick box in the control panel to make it private so others can't see it).  I'm really sorry if I've intruded, that wasn't my intention.

I'm not a great swimmer, but I know the basics, I need to swim on Friday morning, I could come to the abbey instead of parkside if you want me to have a look.  Let me know if you want to train together on Friday (click the profile button below my post for email address etc).

I know what you mean about the articles, the problem is that swimming is very technical, and it's quite hard to put into written text "move your arm like this" so what takes 10s to explain on poolside takes 5 pages.

I'm not sure what nutrition book you have been reading, but I thought that bread and bananas was exactly what you're supposed to eat, as opposed of my instincts of grabbing a Yorkie bar, a flapjack and a can of coke.

It definitely sounds like you just need a break, so have fun in Morocco

2005-03-15 8:44 AM

Yes you are right, you are supposed to eat bread and bananas, bananas ok for me, bread has yeast so very very bad for me!!! Sore tummy next day guaranteed!!

Anyway, I'll message you. Can't make Friday morning as away for work in Cheltenham Thurs night.

2005-03-15 9:10 AM
in reply to: #130010

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I know what flapjackes & coke are, but what's a Yorkie Bar?
2005-03-15 9:23 AM
in reply to: #130016

Veteran
Swindon

Chocolate... but it's not for girls ;-)

you probably have to be english to have a clue what I'm on about here, this might explain it a bit

http://advertising.metro.co.uk/images/downloads/Yorkie.pdf

2005-03-15 9:30 AM

Ah clearer now, much! Thanks!!

I want to try one, I think women would enjoy them just as much as men!! Cept that I'm not supposed to eat dairy products ... one bar can't harm me though ..
2005-03-15 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Swimming gets to be a LOT more fun when you get the technique down (I speak from experience, I started off dreading it, too, now it's my favorite workout)....considering your arms die after 4 lenths, I take it that you have some ways to go learning technique? .....you would want help because you are going to hate it more if you keep going with the brute force method. You can't muscle your way through swimming very well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Lacking Rss Feed