General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Negative thoughts during long runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-01-23 8:38 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Negative thoughts during long runs

My long runs are now over 2 hours in preparation for a March Marathon.  After about 10 or 11 miles, I find my 210 pound body start to feel at least that heavy, and then I think, "Why the f*** am I doing this?  Maybe I should just do the 1/2 Mary!"

I hope that I am not the only one who questions his own sanity in the middle of a workout.

2009-01-23 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1926299

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: RE: Negative thoughts during long runs

Is it sane to run 10 miles?  I don't think so.  I just let my mind wander, check out the scenery, listen to some good tunes and try to run at sunrise.  My 220 pound body does feel heavey after 10 miles but thats why I am trying to make it a 215 pound body.  Best of luck.

oh yeah, do the 13.1!

Edited by jsklarz 2009-01-23 8:44 PM
2009-01-23 8:47 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
2009-01-23 8:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-23 9:00 PM

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
What really helps me is to look at those negative thoughts as a challenge that need to be overcome. I view this as another part of the race. When they creep in realize that they are there and then focus on turning it into a positive. "This sucks. Everything hurts, I could be at home in bed." Change that to, "This sucks but I am the only one out here with balls to go this far. When I get home I am going to lay in bed and live it up!" It will take practive but eventually you will be able to overcome them. Good luck.
2009-01-23 9:05 PM

Veteran
Lovin' this thread!!! Thanks everyone. This is some awesome stuff.

2009-01-23 9:09 PM

Pro
Burbs

Which March marathon? (I'm doing National in D.C. on March 22)

Anyhow, I do a few things:

1. Get lost in an audiobook
2. Smile ... it actually makes you feel happier -- it does look a little goofy, but no goofier than running 15 mi in the middle of the winter
3. Think about how awesome you are.

... and no, you are not the only one who questions one's own sanity during a workout.

2009-01-23 9:10 PM

Master
STL

I daydream ALOT! No, I'm not singing to myself, I'm talking to myself! I find it works best when your t'd off at your husband or mother-in-law, or have an upcoming interview! Or plan out what I have to do for the day/upcoming week.

Other things I do is switch up my routes, try to do loops rather than out and backs, think about how good I'll feel when it's done or even what "goody" I can have that day and not feel guilty about it!

2009-01-23 10:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
When I'm on a long bike ride/run, my main focus is to just get to the halfway point.  Once I get there I think that alone is a big enough mental boost to just be like ok so I'm just headin home now.  Then about halfway on the way back I start thinking about the post-workout meal I'm gonna make, and that REALLY gets my a** movin!!
2009-01-23 10:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

Mike,

Some ideas that help me:

Music -- over-ride the thoughts with tunes.

Start slower -- the head noise could be fatigue from a rapid start

Run-Walk -- well documented in the dbase on the site // breaks the run into bite sized chunks.  Much easier to run 10x 1 mile than 10 miles.

Consider racing shorter -- you'll learn a lot racing the half.  You're hardly looking at twice the fun from 26.2 miles.  When you are super keen on the full then you can come back to the distance.

Did you see this YouTube clip?  Touches on why to keep going...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocM4ztqhIgA

g

2009-01-23 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1926315

Expert
Southeast

bryancd - 2009-01-23 9:47 PM I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

"To attempt an understanding of Muad'Dib without understanding his mortal enemies ... is to attempt seeing Truth without knowing Falsehood. It is the attempt to see the Light without knowing Darkness. It cannot be."

Translation:  Knock yourself out.  Bonk.  Hit the wall.  Push the pace and fail.  Once you do, life is easier.

2009-01-24 6:33 AM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Mental training is pretty important.  I used to be in the last 10K of a marathon, often feeling like crap and would ask myself the same questions.  I got the book "Running Within" and it helped a lot.  It is all about how to mentally approach training and racing.  While corny, I created several mantras and then found the one that worked best for me during training.  I use it all the time in races when things get tough.   

I am sure there are other books to consider, but this one worked for me.

2009-01-24 8:03 AM

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

I don't know your height but if you feel and know that you are too heavy, better thinking on shorter mileage/week, loosing weight and avoid any injury.

The injury can lead you to a worse situation where you can not run, gaining weight, demotivation, etc.

Focus on your weight instead of thinking to the 42k: then you will have all the chances you want to run 42k race.

Marathons can easily bring you to an injury, more than people think...especially during the preparation period.

2009-01-24 8:57 AM

Veteran
Oceanside
I can relate! I am an Athena sized girl who ran the Tokyo as her first marathon. My max runs were 20 miles but by the end of my training cycle, I was SICK of running! There is a good chance that I will never be a sub-3 hour marathon or even a sub-4 hour marathon in my lifetime. BUT....come race day, all that blood, sweat, and tears makes it worth it. I was 30 minutes slower than my anticipated finish time, but my attitude stayed GREAT the entire race. I finished in 5:45. Put in the time training, slow it down unless you have to HAVE to run in a certain time, and enjoy the time you are investing in your training. It will be worth it! I even got a little tearful when I finished the marathon because I did it!
2009-01-24 9:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
It helps you realize how bad you really want it. When you purify your mind through the fire of pain, you come out stronger at the end. You prove that not only do you want it, but that you can do it.
2009-01-24 9:07 AM

Colorado Springs
This happens to me every long run.

I've noticed that it's the first symptoms of me hitting my wall - it's as if my brain, triggered by the first inklings of fatigue, has decided that I must be in despair, so I get the emotions that go with it. I feel mad, a bit helpless, wonder WTF I was thinking when I decided to do this **&*#@ race and so on. It's really strange to me because the mood comes on suddenly, so I've decided that it's some how an emotional response triggered by something physical, and not *real* emotions. Make sense? For me, knowing that they are not entirely real emotions makes it easier to think my way out of it.

I wonder if it's a built in safety switch that your brain throws when it thinks your body is nearing it's physical (normal) limit and about to lose it's reserve that it might need to make camp, start a fire, and run like hell if man-eating tiger suddenly showed up.

I've found that if I just keep going - giving myself a mental cheerleading squad - and make sure that nutrition/hydration/electrolytes get a little boost (this is a great time for a funsize Snickers bar) - that I come out of it within a couple of miles and it's business as usual.

I've run a few ultras (50 miles) and marathons - the wall ALWAYS happens - just sometimes later than others. If I've done the food/water part right, its just that weird emotional wall.

Hope that helps.

2009-01-24 9:20 AM

Master
Reston, VA
I think you would be abnormal if you didn't question your sanity. I also have a few thoughts.

Find a training partner. I am REALLY lucky that my husband does all training with me, but if that weren't the case, there is a really great running club near me. there are always people training for different races and always someone to feel miserable with, uh, I mean run with.

Mix up the course (someone already said), but i take this to the next level. pick a different town to run in. I am fortunate enough to live near dc so today for my 20 mile run, we are going in to run around our amazing history. I was feeling like if i did another loop around my town I might kill someone along the way. So we are changing the town. I actually woke up looking forward to it.

Break the run into small parts. Sometimes when I am really miserable I tell myself to just go 20 more minutes and take a true assessment of how I feel. I tell myself that if i feel like death, I'll stop. If I don't, I'll go another 20 minutes. Invariably, I always do my distance.

Best of luck (now I have to go do my 20!)

lisa
2009-01-24 9:28 AM

Master
Reston, VA
I just noticed you are in Ashburn!!!!

There are a ton of running clubs near you. I am a member of Reston Runners. we have a bunch of members that live in ashburn. check us out at restonrunners.org. They have a TON of people at all paces who train for the nations marathon. don't be alone!!!!!!!!! check us out restonrunners.org

• ...and today we are going into the c&o towpath. it is a beatiful change of scenery!!!

• this is a great area to run in!
    2009-01-24 9:37 AM

Champion
    MA

You need to know your reason for doing it. It needs to be a big enough reason that when things get tough that reason keeps you going. Make a list of reasons and see if one stands out as the ONE reason you signed up for this Mary.

I recall when I was heavy into IM training when I'd get my new training plan for next 4 weeks I'd often think I'm supposed to do that? How can I do it. It was always my mind that doubted. When I got to that workout and did it my body gladly went along...not that it was easy mind you.

I always try to focus on right now not the past not the future. Only control I have is on the present. Don't count down miles, just run the best you can right now...take in your hyrdration and nutrition and enjoy your time out there.

Looking at the total of what you have to do can be overwhelming and take the joy out of what you are actually doing with your body...running.

I'd suggest reading the book "The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training" by Taylor and Schneider to help.

If you don't have a real good reason to do the race, you won't find motivation to train. Look for your reason.

In my IM training I did 4 19+ mile runs...it was quite painful towards the end of the first one and the thought I needed to run another step seemed daunting, but the 4th one I did 21 miles instead of 20 scheduled and felt pretty good knowing that I could run farther.  It is quite amazing to watch our bodies adapt as we go longer and longer. I likened it to watching my body adapt as a science project.

Know your reason...then you will run...stay moment focused and do your best now.

2009-01-24 10:35 AM
    in reply to: #1926307

Cycling Guru
    Fulton, MD
    Speed up .... seriously, when you are in a bad place, just speed up.  Focus on effort and breathing.  Before you know it, the bad thoughts will typically go away, then when you slow back down to what you were running it will actually feel easier!
    2009-01-24 11:29 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.

2009-01-24 12:42 PM

Veteran
    Chicago, IL

Outside of positive thoughts....check you nutrition.  Seriously.  This summer when training for the Chicago Marathon I also had negative thoughts after 12 miles or so.  I tried speeding up, talking with people, changing music, and remembering that my body moved for a heck of a lot longer during my HIMs...but nada.

Success from the bad thoughts finally came when I did a better job of monitoring my gel/gu /supplement intake.  My blood sugar was spiking then dropping cause I was not taking gus/gatorade/etc at proper intervals for my body.  I figured this out after the 15 mile run when thinking about nutrition. After that point, whenever I started to have negative thoughts, I would have some sugar via gatorade/gels/powerblocks/candy and it helped tremendously!  I ran the marathon with positive thoughts throughout....ok, maybe the last 2 miles a few negative ones creeped in  But I still stayed focused and remembered the end goal.

Best of luck at the marathon!!!!

2009-01-24 1:41 PM

Master
    syracuse

your definitely not alone on this!  I find myself constantly questioning myself, especially on long runs. 

The suggestion someone maid to eat is a good one.  Gel, banana, something....that can pick up your spirits big time.

Sometimes when your're 2 hours in, it becomes a game of "How much longer do I have?"  Than you realize another hour, or 5 more miles, and that can be mentally devestating.  When this happens to me, I focus on the next step.  The next light pole or phone tower.  Something short off in the distance to get your mind on how much further you have to go.  

Focus on pick up your cadence.  count your cadence for 30 seconds...anything to get your mind off how much further you have to run....

At least for me, focusing on the little things will get you throgh the long runs!

2009-01-24 2:25 PM
    in reply to: #1926745

Expert
    Southeast

Daremo - 2009-01-24 11:35 AM Speed up .... seriously, when you are in a bad place, just speed up.  Focus on effort and breathing.  Before you know it, the bad thoughts will typically go away, then when you slow back down to what you were running it will actually feel easier!

x2.  This works really well for me, not only during moments of doubt, but also when I'm plain not feeling very strong.

2009-01-24 4:46 PM
    in reply to: #1926976

Master
    Reston, VA
    mdickson68 - 2009-01-24 3:25 PM

Daremo - 2009-01-24 11:35 AM Speed up .... seriously, when you are in a bad place, just speed up.  Focus on effort and breathing.  Before you know it, the bad thoughts will typically go away, then when you slow back down to what you were running it will actually feel easier!

x2.  This works really well for me, not only during moments of doubt, but also when I'm plain not feeling very strong.

laying down across the trail is option #2
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Negative thoughts during long runs Rss Feed  

of 3