General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! I have Runner's Knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-28 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Denver Colorado
Subject: Help! I have Runner's Knee
I have Runner's Knee, also known as Chondromalacia patella. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said that I need to build up my VMO muscle (Vastus Medialis Obliquus ). Apparently one side of my upper quads is pulling my knee cap to the high outside of my leg. This causes the cartilage grinding to happen on the knee because my knee cap has slid out of its groove/path. He tells me that if I build up my VMO it will pull my knee back into position. Here’s the F*cked up part... he said in about 6 months after exercising this muscle I can run again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F*ck THAT DOC!! No frickin' way bro! Not on your life... there has to be another way! Does anyone know of somebody who has overcome Runner's Knee and still trained lightly enough to heal at the same time?! I have Kansas HIM in June and I just signed up with TEAM IN TRAINING for the 5430 Boulder Long Course. Plus, I love my running... pain or not, I will still run.. at least a little. Also, I have been reading some things on the internet that the exercising and building up of your VMO is nearly impossible and doesn't actually yield the results the doctors say it will anyway. I don't know... I need some truth and I want to know of somebody who has actually had this injury and is able run pain free again on a regular basis after healing. I want some answers! (How long did it take? What did they do? How much did they run? How much did they not run? Do they still have problems? Will I ever be the same again as a runner? Am I screwed for life and will this injury always show up if I up my mileage?)

2009-01-28 11:06 PM
in reply to: #1933818

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Help! I have Runner's Knee
I don't have any experience w/ your injury, but you may want to post this in the "injuries and health" forum on this site. You may get more eyeballs on the thread, and hopefully, some good advice.

Good luck on your recovery. Injuries suck...
2009-01-29 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

6 months is nuts!

I have runner's knee.  How flared up are you?  Can you feel swelling right now?  If so, then I could see how they would tell you to take a month or so off from running to get the inflammation down and start healing up....  If it's just uncomfortable, you can maintain a very light running schedule as you start to incorporate your physical therapy/strength exercises into your regime.

I spend every night in front of the tv doing seated leg lifts, squeezing my quads as I sit, and 3 times a week in the gym doing all sorts of lower body exercises to keep the VMOs beefy and happy.  It's hard, but I think that being able to run with runner's knee means that you need to listen to your body, REST if you have pain, and stay vigilant with your therapy.

Good luck...I think you need a physical therapist and then listen to them instead of the doctor. 

2009-01-29 5:03 PM

User image

New user

So you're turning to the Internet for truth...

You'll get lots of advice, I'm sure, but here's mine.  There are many conditions and causes of chondromalacia, and IMHO the best way for you to get the best solution for Triathlon Sean is to have a  good sports doc (maybe that's who you saw) refer you to a good physical therapist who understands that "not training" is really not the solution you're after.  The real results will come from professionals familiar with endurance sports injuries and can prescribe a regimen based on your specific condition.  They may be able to help identify the 'imbalance'  and solve it with a combination of strength exercises and specific stretches (and massage or other manipulation) , getting you back in training sooner. 

Ask around (including this forum) for referrals for a PT in your area.  I've found that high performing athletes and coaches (even if they're not your own) are often good sources.  Call you doc and ask for a prescription for PT so insurance can help you out with the cost.  I'm not sure if you'll be able to request that he write the rx for a specific PT or clinic, but it's worth a shot. 

Meanwhile, keep up the training.  There's lots of things you can do to work on aerobic/anaerobic conditioning (but it's not running!... I know... sucks...).  Chin up! GL!

2009-02-02 11:30 AM

User image

at least it's not jogger's knee
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! I have Runner's Knee Rss Feed