General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-17 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Subject: Race Nutrition
I'm training for my first half IM, the Diamomndman in Bear, Delaware in the fall.  In the shorter tris I've pretty much relied upon water and a couple of energy bars during the race.  In preparing for this long distance tri I've experimented with gels (which do give me a boost) and fruit (dry and fresh sliced) which I.ve also find beneficial.  But I think I should plan on taking in more substantive snacks and calories to help avoid fatigue for a race that will see me out on the course for several hours.  What have you had success with consuming during a long tri -- pb sandwiches?  any meats?  I know easily digestible foods are preferred,  but I worry a bit that light fare will not give me enough fuel to sustain a prolonged race effort.

2005-03-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #130926

Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Race Nutrition
You can stay full without solids if you take in enough calories/hour with a liquid only nutrition plan, which IMO is the easiest logistically. 

If you feel that you really need solid food most long races have a brand of gel, different fruit, pretzels, a brand of bar like powerbar or gatorade bar, cookies (blah), and drinks like gatorade, water and coke.  Cliff bars are also good but none of the races I've been in had them.

2005-03-17 9:19 AM
in reply to: #130926

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: RE: Race Nutrition

I have never eaten anything more solid than a banana on a long ride or during a triathlon.  Look at it this way, it takes energy to digest food, so you want the calories that you take in to be as easily digestible as possible.  Gels, liquid (sports drinks, etc) and bananas are it for me.  Also, you may want to check out BrianPBN's website for more (and I mean much more) detailed information on race and workout nutrition.  www.personalbestnutrition.com

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Nutrition Rss Feed